+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PC Building issue     submit to reddit submit to twitter

PC Building issue

I recently built a new computer and ran into an issue I've never seen before.

Somehow the spacing I end up with between the side of the case, the spacers (1/4th inch) and the mobo causes me to end up in a situation where I can't fully seat any expansion cards (specifically my video card) into the PCI slots. I'm literally about 1/16th of an inch away from fully seating the card, but as far as the case in concerned, the video card is as low as it can go and fully locked in.

So if I've described what's happening well enough, you'd understand me when I say; the way I see it, the mobo needs to be spaced a little bit more from the case (raising it slightly) and making up that ~1/16th of an inch to allow the video card to seat properly in the slot. However, I'm not sure of the best way to go about doing this. Anyone have any insight?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by SeleneGaruda View Post
    I recently built a new computer and ran into an issue I've never seen before.

Somehow the spacing I end up with between the side of the case, the spacers (1/4th inch) and the mobo causes me to end up in a situation where I can't fully seat any expansion cards (specifically my video card) into the PCI slots. I'm literally about 1/16th of an inch away from fully seating the card, but as far as the case in concerned, the video card is as low as it can go and fully locked in.

So if I've described what's happening well enough, you'd understand me when I say; the way I see it, the mobo needs to be spaced a little bit more from the case (raising it slightly) and making up that ~1/16th of an inch to allow the video card to seat properly in the slot. However, I'm not sure of the best way to go about doing this. Anyone have any insight?
    question 1: did you use the offset screws for the motherboard plate that came with the case? (these are about 1/4" tall and move the motherboard off the plate) if you did, were the screws about the right length or did they look stubby? if they were stubby, you can buy screws from most computer hardware websites that would be the 'right' length, or you may even have some lying around from a previous case.

question 2: are you sure you got the right case form for your mobo? ({micro}ATX/BTX etc.)

if yes to both of those (normal screw size and right form) and you're still 1/16" short: buy some 1/16" thick washers and reseat the screws for the mobo with washers under them to increase the offset.

actually, you could probably skip to the last step but doing it reduces the stability of your mobo something fierce (less of the offset screw gets through the backplate, etc) so I would try to resolve it the other ways first if possible.

edit* just saw you mention that you did use the spacers. confirm you've got the right form case and then go buy some washers. - you may be able to (with much finger dexterity) seat the washers on top of the offset screws, rather than between the screws and the backplate. since you can easily vary the depth of the motherboard screws this should alleviate the stability issues from using washers.

I'm positive I have the correct form case.

I was actually thinking of washers myself.

you may be able to (with much finger dexterity) seat the washers on top of the offset screws, rather than between the screws and the backplate.
    Why would it make a difference where I end up putting the washers?

Also, I'd think the washers should be made of brass seeing as the spacers themselves are made of brass. I'm sure there's a reason for this.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by SeleneGaruda View Post
    I'm positive I have the correct form case.

I was actually thinking of washers myself.

Why would it make a difference where I end up putting the washers?

Also, I'd think the washers should be made of brass seeing as the spacers themselves are made of brass. I'm sure there's a reason for this.
    metal type shouldn't matter - every metal conducts and they're in non-traced parts of the board. it's more important that you get washers that aren't too wide if you mount them close to the motherboard.

the reason washers on top of offsets is more stable than washers under offsets is because you aren't reducing the amount of "bite" the screw has through the backplate, and can compensate more easily for the added depth on top by using a longer screw to seat the motherboard on the offsets.