+ Reply to Thread

Obligatory Dream 5 MMA topic.

I've been down the Jurrzy Shore for the past couple days, and came home just in time to watch Dream 5 on HDNet, and I must say I was surprised to not see a topic on it here. Granted I know it got overshadowed by UFN and Affliction, but 4 of the top 10 Lightweights in the world were fighting in this, and if you were watching it Live, it was a mind fuck to say the least. The outcome (especially if you were an Alvarez fan) was like a good movie with a twist at the very end. I don't think ANYONE saw Hansen coming out with the belt, but this definitely leaves ALOT up in the air with Alvarez having beat the beltholder, and yet to have fought Aoki at all. I still think Alvarez is at least the #3 lightweight in the world, (and not just because he comes from my gym.)

Here's some links to the fights.

Semi-Final Fight #1 Aoki vs. Uno
    http://www.mmashare.com/shinya-aoki-...m-5-t2096.html

Semi-Final Fight #2 Alvarez vs. Kawajiri
    http://www.mmaroot.com/eddie-alvarez...-dream5-video/

Fill in Fight Hansen vs. Black Mamba
    http://www.mmaroot.com/joachim-hanse...-dream5-video/

Alvarez's eye got cut in the Kawajiri fight, and he was unable to fight. Even though I know he wanted to continue...he claimed that "Aoki can't strike anyway so he has nothing to worry about. Hansen ended up taking his place, in what was a crazy turn of events.

Finals Hansen vs. Aoki
    http://www.mmaroot.com/shinya-aoki-v...-dream5-video/

Kawajiri vs Alvarez... Easily one of the best fights I've ever seen. Glad to see Hansen get revenge on Aoki. Though, I'm kind of disappointed in DREAM. They wanted to Aoki to win SO badly that they denied Alvarez to fight him thinking that it'd be an easier match up for him. Good on them to let Hellboy take the belt.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Alvarez + aggressive striker = great fights

Quote Originally Posted by Jyakku View Post
    Though, I'm kind of disappointed in DREAM. They wanted to Aoki to win SO badly that they denied Alvarez to fight him thinking that it'd be an easier match up for him.
    Geez trust me, if there's anyone who thinks that tournament was lopsided, it's me. Aoki going first therefore he gets more rest, pitting Alvarez in the past rounds against obviously tougher opponents (he never fought one Japanese fighter). Stopping the match against Kawajiri in the middle of the fight when Kawajiri was obviously gassed and about to go down, which in turn got him mount later on and I think thats where Alvarez's eye got fucked up. Kawajiri was digging his forearm into it. Honestly I think they had a whole plan just to take Alvarez down and take that eye out when they felt the fight was beyond a win. Who know's....I think Alvarez took it well, mainly because I know how much he wants to win...I was surprised at his calm reaction.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole7 View Post
    Geez trust me, if there's anyone who thinks that tournament was lopsided, it's me. Aoki going first therefore he gets more rest, pitting Alvarez in the past rounds against obviously tougher opponents (he never fought one Japanese fighter). Stopping the match against Kawajiri in the middle of the fight when Kawajiri was obviously gassed and about to go down, which in turn got him mount later on and I think thats where Alvarez's eye got fucked up. Kawajiri was digging his forearm into it. Honestly I think they had a whole plan just to take Alvarez down and take that eye out when they felt the fight was beyond a win. Who know's....I think Alvarez took it well, mainly because I know how much he wants to win...I was surprised at his calm reaction.
    japanese tourny's are infamous for this kind of thing though. fighters know what to expect when they go there to participate against a japanese fighter. one of my good friends had a fight at k-1...his fight time got moved 8 times in a 24 hour span, then his weight got moved to a "catch-weight" because the japanese guy couldn't make weight (bullshit), and in the end he got matched against another fighter after the first guy got "sick". just a mind-fuck.

all that being said...dream has put on some great shows lately. i'm an aoki fan, but they've been protecting him from the start and i was glad to see hellboy come away with it.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

That Alvarez/Kawajiri fight was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Also Lockecole...I mean I know it's an event that already happened but not many people get HDNet and just watch these online - try not to spoil everything in the first post...

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    That Alvarez/Kawajiri fight was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Also Lockecole...I mean I know it's an event that already happened but not many people get HDNet and just watch these online - try not to spoil everything in the first post...
    Haha sorry, its hard to not spoil them and explain the way the finals ended up, mainly because of the fact that its a tournemant style fight. Sorry about that though, main reason I did that is because I figured not many people will watch it in the first place, so I figured it would be best just to get the word out. In hindsight I should have added certain things under "Spoiler" text,

Quote Originally Posted by noblemountain View Post
    japanese tourny's are infamous for this kind of thing though. fighters know what to expect when they go there to participate against a japanese fighter. one of my good friends had a fight at k-1...his fight time got moved 8 times in a 24 hour span, then his weight got moved to a "catch-weight" because the japanese guy couldn't make weight (bullshit), and in the end he got matched against another fighter after the first guy got "sick". just a mind-fuck.

all that being said...dream has put on some great shows lately. i'm an aoki fan, but they've been protecting him from the start and i was glad to see hellboy come away with it.
    How did your friend do?

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Jyakku View Post
    How did your friend do?
    got his ass beat. lol

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Alvarez + aggressive striker = great fights
    Agreed.

I'd also like to see Kawajiri vs Hansen happen for real this time. Their first fight doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjar View Post
    I'd also like to see Kawajiri vs Hansen happen for real this time. Their first fight doesn't count.
    Seriously...Ive known fighters who pissed blood the whole next week and still fought, a groin shot hurts..but its nothing 5 minutes of rest can't repair. I'm not sure how he'd fair against kawajiri...I think Hansen might have one of the best chins in the whole lightweight division, if not THE best. He's a fukkin viking.