+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Man attacked on grey hound bus, decapitated.

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...a-53801510af24

Man stabbed, beheaded on Greyhound bus
    "I don't think the guy knew him at all . . . the poor guy, he didn't see it coming"
    Gabrielle Giroday and Ian Hitchen, CanWest News Service
    Published: Thursday, July 31, 2008

BRANDON, Man. - Thirty-six passengers of a Greyhound bus travelling from Edmonton to Winnipeg Wednesday night watched in horror as a fellow passenger reportedly stabbed another man sleeping next to him, eventually decapitating him and waving the man's severed head.

"He didn't do anything to provoke the guy. They guy just took a knife out and stabbed him, started stabbing him like crazy and cut his head off," said Garnet Caton, 36, a passenger.

The bus made an emergency stop, and passengers fled in terror onto the Trans-Canada Highway while the bus's driver and a driver of a nearby truck shut the crazed man inside the bus with the victim. Passengers say they stood outside the bus and watched through the window, horrified, as the man disfigured the victim's body.
    Caton and others said once they escaped the bus, they prevented the attacker from getting off the bus by threatening him with makeshift weapons - a hammer and a metal bar.

"We were telling him, 'Stay put, stay put, stay there, don't try to come out.' He tried to get the bus working and the bus driver disabled the bus somehow in the back, I'm not sure how he did it, and at that point, I think the police showed up," he said, adding officers rushed them away.

"Some people were puking, some people were crying, other people were in shock . . . everybody was running, screaming off the bus."

Caton described the man who attacked the passenger as about six feet tall, 200 pounds, with a bald head and wearing sunglasses. He seemed oblivious to others when the stabbing occurred, said Caton.

Caton said he was struck by how calm the man was. He just walked up to the front of the bus and dropped the head, Caton said.

Caton said the victim boarded in Edmonton, was Aboriginal in appearance, and was wearing hip-hop clothing, and appeared to be a young man around 20 years of age.

"When we saw the head, we knew he was dead," he said. "I don't think the guy knew him at all. I think he was really crazy ... the poor guy, he didn't see it coming."

By 10:30 p.m., the eastbound bus was stopped on the highway about 10 kilometres east of Portage la Prairie, Man., surrounded by RCMP cruisers. An RCMP spokesman confirmed on scene a major incident had occurred, but would not elaborate.

Two yellow school buses were brought in to the closed-off stretch of highway for passengers to sit in while the standoff between officers and the man inside the bus proceeded for hours.

The passengers were later taken to Brandon to be interviewed by police and to stay overnight at a hotel there.

Crisis counsellors were also at the hotel to provide support to the passengers, and counsellors could be seen chatting with them outside the hotel as groups went out to local stores for snacks or to smoke cigarettes.

One small boy, who was with an adult man and woman, was given a plush teddy bear by a crisis health worker.

Another young man from Nova Scotia sat outside the Brandon hotel smoking around 3 a.m. Visibly shaken, he said RCMP had taken 36 witnesses in for questioning into a detachment approximately 100 kilometres east. He said later: "I felt bad that all the young people and old people had to see that."

The man, who did not want his name used, said the victim of the stabbing had been sleeping before the attack.

Other passengers said that the two men were sitting in the rear of the bus and the stabbing victim was listening to music through his headphones. The men were both sitting in the back of the bus, and the attack appeared to be unprovoked.

"The first thing I heard was something like a terrible type (of) yowl and that was from the guy who got stabbed," said an elderly woman on the bus, from Winnipeg.

The woman and her adult daughter said they were three or four rows in front of the suspect when the attack began.

"(My daughter said) 'Oh my God' and everybody else started screaming," she said. "They had terror in their eyes."

Passengers said there was a rush of people toward the front of the bus to get off.

A truck driver who saw the ruckus then jumped to the rescue as he and the driver tried to disable the vehicle and keep the man from exiting, as law enforcement officers rushed to the scene, the standoff began. An RCMP spokesman could not be reached to confirm the precise time the man was taken into custody or further details.

Two other passengers on the bus, a 22-year-old man and 21-year-old woman, from France, said they were heading to Winnipeg after visiting the woman's father in Whitehorse. The 22-year-old man said in French that he saw a man holding a long knife repeatedly stab another passenger. He and his girlfriend said they were shocked by the attack, and the isolation in the middle of the prairies when it occurred.

"There was nowhere to go," she said.

Manitoba RCMP Const. Dave Higgs confirmed Wednesday that there was a major incident on the bus - which was en route to Winnipeg from Edmonton - but he would not provide details. He would not give any further details.

Abby Wambaugh, a Greyhound spokeswoman in Dallas, Tex., confirmed this morning that there was an incident, but would not describe what exactly happened.

"There was an incident on board one of our buses, but I don't want to compromise the investigation," she told Canwest News Service. "Specific details would need to be confirmed by the police and we're co-operating with them."

holy shit...

Talk about the ride of your life.

holy fuck that is crazy.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That is... Disgusting. I can't believe that shit like this happens...

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That'll teach people to fall asleep on the bus! I never do. Though it's mostly out of fear of not missing my stop, and not getting BEHEADED!

In all seriousness though, that shit is crazy! I mean these are the kind of people you just take out back and shoot. If I didn't read it, I wouldn't have believed it.

I sleep all the time on airplanes >.> I guess you're not supposed to be able to get knives into planes anymore but I don't trust airport security....

Banned.

BG Level

oh lordy, I take a bus every weekend up to boston to see my girlfriend. time to invest in some kevlar turtlenecks

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Damn, he never had a chance. Well, it's always good to be on one's toes since chances of somebody else helping out are slim to none. "Will I risk my life to help this individual? Do I want others to risk their life for me?" Doesn't help the passengers were french and canadians either ;x

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Knowing rural Canada, I bet the victim was targeted because he was either a First Nations person or looked like one.

Either way, that's all fucking crazy.

What happened to the perp though? Did I miss something in the article, because it seems to end with him trapped in the bus with a corpse and the RCMP waiting for him.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Oh man, that's so horrible.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    Damn, he never had a chance. Well, it's always good to be on one's toes since chances of somebody else helping out are slim to none. "Will I risk my life to help this individual? Do I want others to risk their life for me?" Doesn't help the passengers were french and canadians either ;x
    The description of the guy doesn't exactly lend him to being easily subdued. Ask just about any Police officer and they'll tell you the weapons they fear the most during arrests or incidents are edged weapons.

Maybe in good old country-fried America some "hero" would have pulled out their firearm and start shooting wildly in a enclosed space with people running all over. >_>

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

The scene sounds amazing. I bald guy with sunglasses pacing up and down the aisle of a bus holding a human head in one hand, and a large knife in another. Outside, an angry/shocked mob of several people with hammers, pitchforks, and poles are waiting for his exit.

Edit: Needs moar Joe Horn

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I always wonder why the people in these airplanes, buses, places where this stuff happens just don't rise up and attack the guy. I mean, he had a knife, yes, but it isn't going to save you when 30 people start pummeling your ass.

Then again, I've never been in said situation, so who knows what I would do. But I bet I would try and yell "Let's get em!"

Black Belt
    BG Level

Joe Horn would've just shot all the brown people on the bus.

Sounds like victim was killed really quickly; sad to say but everyone just getting off the bus was probably the best course of action to prevent anyone else getting hurt. Really really gruesome.

Aren't hate crimes lovely?

Feielle

Props to the driver of the bus for disabling it, making sure the lunatic didn't gain control of a 20-ton battering ram.

Does Canada have the death penalty?

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

That's... disgusting. Disgusting that no one helped the poor guy, it had to take time for him to go into some stabbing frenzy and then decapitate him. A whole fucking bus can't safely subdue one guy sitting down with a knife, who's actively trying to decapitate someone? What the hell.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Fuck that, I ain't getting close to a nutjob with a blade. I ain't getting stabbed for noone lol. I know, such a pussy, etc.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Feielle View Post
    Nope.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Feielle View Post
    Props to the driver of the bus for disabling it, making sure the lunatic didn't gain control of a 20-ton battering ram.

I don't believe they do as when the US tries to extradite a fugative, Canada and Mexico will only turn him over if the death penalty is off the table.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast