Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hofud's Drain Proc Rate - Test Results

Hello, I have recently been doing a tally to gather a sample size of data on the proc rate of Hofud, the sword that drops from Odin in Einherjar. This has been something that I've been meaning to do in a long time but never really got around to it until recently. I haven't seen any posts regarding this, so I might give a shot and post it here. If people have already conducted test, I apologize. It's really not all that great, but I hope that some might find it good to know.

My test results are on the following blog entries:
    http://kalessa.livejournal.com/tag/e...nts+with+hofud

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, feel free to let me know.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Thanks for testing this, I've been curious about hofud since it was added, thou the results are a little disappointing. I think a test on greater colibri thou would be good, to see if the proc rate is the same on mobs with more relevant stats and level correction, and it would also be a good mob to test average hp/mp drain on while you're at it.

The only other thing I could think to test is if int or macc has any effect on proc rate or drain amount.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How can you tell it drains MP from the fortification?
    Are they shown in your chat log? because AFAIK, fortification doesn't have MP.

Just a comment there, nothing to contribute

A. Body
    BG Level

Wow, I've been wanting this since it came out. Good work.
    Kinda sad it's so disappointing; if you think about it, the fork is better.

Says in the 3rd section that MP drains for 0 on mobs with no MP.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    How can you tell it drains MP from the fortification?
    Are they shown in your chat log? because AFAIK, fortification doesn't have MP.

Just a comment there, nothing to contribute
    Yup it shows on the chat log, just drains for 0 MP.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I think 15% is still pretty good personally >.>

It's not make or break, but it's still definitely a nice boost to a good lowman/merit weapon.

Subduer of the Squenix
    BG Level

Nice job with the testing. Our ls recently got one and the owner just said they weren't impressed with it but didn't do any real testing. Good to see someone doing it!

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have noticed it drains less from dark resistant mobs. Was getting a few HP/MP returned from imps in campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno View Post
    I have noticed it drains less from dark resistant mobs. Was getting a few HP/MP returned from imps in campaign.
    maybe try dark threnody on a mob and see if it gets better? or maybe it will work well in dyna/einherjar possibly w/ an obi? is the drain effect extra damage like an enspell or is it just HP recovered like blood weapon/drain samba?

The HP/MP drain effects are just like Sambas where they do not add extra damage to the attack. I've noticed that the effect does not even proc on undead mobs in campaign, and yeah, it drains a lot less from mobs that resist dark spells, so it's safe to assume that the ammount drained is calculated in a similar way as drain/aspir, but that'd need to be tested.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessa View Post
    Yup it shows on the chat log, just drains for 0 MP.
    Hmmm interesting
    Because on Aspir Samba, the chat log didn't report you drain any MP from fortification

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I'm noticing my proc rate depends on either the subjob or the moon phase. Non-scientific examples: In beseiged as /nin, the proc rate is extremely low, but in campaign as /dnc its higher than /nin. Im still working on personal testing, but theres gotta be a hidden trait to make it proc more than others.... i cant put my finger on it yet.

As I beavered away...
    BG Level

CHR!?!??!?!?!

I have been monitoring the moon phases as well. There are times where I see insane procs, but it isn't very consistent. It could just be spurts of random luck.

Hofud has both CHR and MND in there for some reason... these stats are barely used by BLU for physical. Barely for WS on the jobs that uses it. Anything magical is just better off with elemental staves.

I might be far fetched and looking a little too hard into it, I always wondered maybe why CHR and MND are listed in there as possible hints to something (or just SE's joke like adding useless stats to most job's AFs)... Could try loading these stats up and see if maybe it affects proc rate? It's not something really that hard to test... I might give it a try later.

Hmmm interesting
    Because on Aspir Samba, the chat log didn't report you drain any MP from fortification
    That's strange indeed... afraid I haven't played dnc in campaign so I wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything View Post
    The HP/MP drain effects are just like Sambas where they do not add extra damage to the attack. I've noticed that the effect does not even proc on undead mobs in campaign, and yeah, it drains a lot less from mobs that resist dark spells, so it's safe to assume that the ammount drained is calculated in a similar way as drain/aspir, but that'd need to be tested.
    Hmm, I never noticed that the additional effect doesn't proc on undead until you mentioned it. You're right.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And neither the red bubble animation... I never see that when I do aspir samba on fortification

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And neither the red bubble animation... I never see that when I do aspir samba on fortification
    I have noticed that you have to do a certain amount of damage before you can get anything back from Aspir Samba. Use a very low base damage weapon and you will not get anything back from Aspir Samba unless you are doing a certain amount of damage. I noticed this in campaign since I was using a KC on PLD/DNC and whenever I hit for very low damage the aspir effect would not proc on the quads. The Fortifications have insane damage reduction so it could just be you aren't hitting hard enough to have the effect proc.

I also saw it in exp when I was leveling DNC on the lv40ish beetle camp in CN. (We were like lv 37-39 I think) The PLD asked for Aspir Samba and unless he hit for like 7-10 damage or more he wouldn't get anything back from it. Not even the animation saying he aspired 0MP.

This does not seem to effect Drain Samba. At least I haven't noticed it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well... it does. when you poke enemy with stoneskin up. You won't see any drain animation from Drain or Aspir samba.

Yeah.. my sword damage was also around that high when hitting fortification (/point at Kalessa screenshot again)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well... it does. when you poke enemy with stoneskin up. You won't see any drain animation from Drain or Aspir samba.

Yeah.. my sword damage was also around that high when hitting fortification (/point at Kalessa screenshot again)

What I meant when I said "doesn't seem to affect Drain Samba" is that you only have to do 1 damage or more for Drain Samba to proc. Aspir Samba you seem to have to do at least 7-10 damage before it will proc.

Just what I've observed while leveling DNC.

However the Fortifications may be a different thing entirely... I've never tried to use Aspir Samba on them so I'm not sure if it procs on them or not. But the Aspir Samba minimum damage needed thing seems to go for all mobs.

Alarial

This is kind of a necro bumb, but I recently received a Hofud from my ls and have been playing with the proc rate on it. I was wondering if you did this testing with Hofud on hand or off? I have noticed a significant increase when I on-hand the sword versus off-hand it. I need to get a parser and go out and do some actual tests soon. I also noticed that it seems to proc significantly more when I am at low hp or low mp; this is something that I'd definitely like to do some testing on as well. Was wondering if anyone else had noticed this too?