BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Toshi Prower
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Using PS3 Controller on PC for FFXI

Hiya BG, maybe someone can help me with this issue. I'm a primarily PS2 player trying to convert over to the PC with all its wonderful goodies, however I'm crippled without a controller. So I hooked up the USB PS3 controller to the computer yadda yadda.. I'm trying to set up the Config and just getting frustrated because the buttons are not labeled right... Anyways if anyone else plays like this could you send me a PM or post about what settings you use? I'm trying to replicate the PS2 controller's button mapping over to the PC and I cant even figure out how to get the D-pad's arrow keys to target PCs and NPCs...

Thanks a lot for any help or tips

Old Lady Harem of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mne Jing
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiko View Post
    Hiya BG, maybe someone can help me with this issue. I'm a primarily PS2 player trying to convert over to the PC with all its wonderful goodies, however I'm crippled without a controller. So I hooked up the USB PS3 controller to the computer yadda yadda.. I'm trying to set up the Config and just getting frustrated because the buttons are not labeled right... Anyways if anyone else plays like this could you send me a PM or post about what settings you use? I'm trying to replicate the PS2 controller's button mapping over to the PC and I cant even figure out how to get the D-pad's arrow keys to target PCs and NPCs...

Thanks a lot for any help or tips
    Mapping the d-pad may be impossible. I tried when I first when to PC, but I couldn't. PC version of FFXI doesn't even come with default buttons for up/down, I set those myself, makes alliance targeting easier, but I doubt that it can be extended to a keyboard... the same with left and right.

Give yourself like 2 hours and you'll be used to playing with a controller anyway.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

If you want to assign D-Pad actions to keyboard keys, what you're looking for is Menu/Target Cursor Up/Down/Left/Right. I have those bound to the IKJL keys, works great for me.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ignore the previous two posts here's your answer:

Under FINAL FANTASY XI Config

select the General Tab and go to "Gampad Settings (P)"

here's an image of my button configs. I play on the PS2 and PC. I use the Sony's PS2 controller for the pc with an adapter. I copied the exact same layout as PS2s FFXI.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...mepad_ffxi.jpg

On the same window see the section "Directional Control Devices"?
    That's where you'll configure the Analog sticks and D-pad.

Movement = Left analog stick

Camera = Right analog stick

Menu = D-pad

The "Test Gamepad (T)" box will let you see if everything's correct

Your controller should be like this:

Select/Confirm = X

Cancel = O

Active Window/Windwo Options = Δ

Main Menu = ■

Autorun = L1

Macro Palette (Ctrl) = L2

Macro Palette (Alt) = R2

Logout = Start

Hide Menus = Select

Heal/Lock Target = L3

Change View = R3

Take Screenshot = R1

The last three options:

Operate menus with...
    Operate camera with...
    Toggle movement, menu, ...

should not work with any controller buttons

Have Fun~

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

I just hooked up my DS3 controller to my PC for the same purpose.
    http://www.ps3-hacks.com/file/12 and follow the instructions there. Then as stated above me, configure using the FFXI Gamepad settings, and you can set menu to the d-pad there.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Toshi Prower
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I had to mess with it with your guys' advice, Omniyoji's settings did not work for my PS3 controller. I had to play around with it and these are the settings that worked for me. Also i got the Dpad setup as you all suggested and its working great so far. Thanks for the advice.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826127207

Works just like a PS2 controller (IMO has a better feel). I've never used anything but controller on PC and after trying out a few different ones, including PS2 controllers with an adapter, this is my controller of choice.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

No need to buy a controller or adapter when the PS3 one works fine

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

On the subject of SIXAXIS/DS3 on PC, are there any additional measures required to use it via BlueTooth?

Interested in trying this (since 360's dpad sucks balls for menu working) and would rather not have to keep it tethered to my laptop if possible.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Gonna have to try this on my pc.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    On the subject of SIXAXIS/DS3 on PC, are there any additional measures required to use it via BlueTooth?

Interested in trying this (since 360's dpad sucks balls for menu working) and would rather not have to keep it tethered to my laptop if possible.
    I don't think anyone has written BT drivers for sixaxis/DS3 controllers, yet.

Dalecia

Use this and you won't have to deal with the SIXAXIS nonsense.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/13/lo...yes-to-rumble/

evilbau

I use this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826127209
    I find it works really well, uses batteries though. I always have a ton on hand, but that may annoy others.

Used to use PS2 -> USB converter but eventually got sick of the cord.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

You can use a ps3 controller via bluetooth with the right drivers and a usb bluetooth dongle($20-30). Not too sure if it works with DS3, but I use it with the regular sixaxis one.

Instructions link here: http://www.windower.net/forums/index...id=163025&st=0

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Im kind of in the same boat. I recently bought this for my laptop, and Im using a PS1 controller(not sure if that matters) with a USB adapter. Ive got my buttons all set, but the Dpad and analog are controlling both things. I go to move, and itll target something. I go to navigate the menu, and itll move me >.< I go to the 3 boxes on the right and use the analog for movement, and Dpad for menus, but like I said, they both keep doing the same thing. Anyone have any idea on how to change this?

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

You could just buy a 360 Controller, because the gamepad set config tool works perfectly with it (though you can't use your L/R Triggers) and they're fairly common/easy to find, not to mention you could always use it should you ever decide to get a 360.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

Quote Originally Posted by Jakson View Post
    You could just buy a 360 Controller, because the gamepad set config tool works perfectly with it (though you can't use your L/R Triggers) and they're fairly common/easy to find, not to mention you could always use it should you ever decide to get a 360.
    With custom drivers you can use L/R triggers like normal buttons.

I am hope.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If you are going to use it for more than FFXI, Control MK works great.

Takes some time to get it working but its worth it, I even set the push to talk button for vent.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Jakson View Post
    I actually have a 360 already(been playing FFXI on it), wireless controller though. Id need the L/R triggers, Im too used to them. Youre the 2nd person to suggest this, I may seek it out.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I seen this topic and I'm wondering how do I get my ps3 or 360 controller to work on my Pc? I hooked my ps3 controller up to my pc with the cord you use to recharge your controller but it just blinks. Any ideas?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast