Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Casca Wolftamer
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Cerberus Mantle NQ over Forager

Hihi, I recently saw some people with Cerberus NQ (worth around 1.1 million) when they could have bought Forager (+3 atk -3 enmity) for half the price.

Now if they would be nin I wouldnt have any problem, but those people i saw are either mnk or sam.

So my question is, why oh why ?

Then I think, it's for tanking, but for tanking honestly I only know 1 things that those job would tank and it's in salvage but still I dont see why you would wear Cerberus NQ over forager, I never had hate problem in salvage.

Any idea why ? I saw some relic GK sam with it and some good gear monk. So I'm wondering if there's something I dont understand in the equation ?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

They probably have several jobs and don't want more than one mantle, that's my guess.

In any case, if they don't mind / need to tank on mnk or sam, then it is better than Foragers. May not make much of a difference in Salvage, but you can really feel the stacked enmity difference in dynamis, harder mobs than salvage, etc.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I used to make the argument that Cerberus NQ was a poor piece of equipment, but after being lent one, it's versatility and utility is actually pretty high. I would not use it over a Forager for straight DD but I did use it very often in Salvage for tanking on MNK and I used it a lot on my NIN. It is very good as a DD tanking piece or a tanking piece for NIN and PLD. If someone is using it in an XP party then they are probably just e-peening it.

For a NIN in a full tanking situation that isn't that extended, I still prefer High Breath Mantle, but I definitely think the Cerberus Mantle is worth more than I used to give it credit for.

Often people are given Cerb Mantles for free from their linkshell, and the free Cerb Mantle doesn't look so bad versus a more costly alternative.

In other cases, the person may have a tank job that they use Cerb on. And rather than have both, they just have one.

Beyond those two reasons I don't see any purpose at all in having an NQ Cerb Mantle.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I got my Cerb mantle free from a Cerberus kill when I didn't have enough gils to get a forager, that's why I'm wearing it. Of course I'm not allowed to sell it (ls stuff). I wish I could a forager and still keep the Cerb for my nin (lv50 atm), but I have other priorities for now.

edit: Ruke's too fast ...

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    I would not use it over a Forager for straight DD but I did use it very often in Salvage for tanking on MNK and I used it a lot on my NIN.
    You don't need emnity+ for MNK tanking Chariots. The chariot shouldn't be moving from you at all unless something like Crit DAs right right after AoE, but that's just unlucky. The only exception might be for a partially debuffed LBC landing Hate Reset Homing missile on you but not the mages, but that just means 1) your group screwed up on the 10 gears 2) you let homing missile happen.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

for the DEF duh!!!

I don't think anyone said you NEEDED it for tanking chariots on MNK but if you have one from another job and your gonna be tanking why wouldn't you pop it on? I have one for NIN and deffinitely bring it with me for mnk in salvage. I also use it on sam/thf.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Ruke said it, Free Cerb Mantles from LSes coupled with not wanting 2 Attack Mantles, so selling Forager's.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

As soon as I get a Valor Cape my Cerberus will get sold, until then no Forager's for me.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

It's nice for Trick Attack Mercy Stroke on THF. /want

Atlasion

I still use Amemet Mantle +1 on WAR over Cerberus Mantle. Curently lvling NIN (63) at the moment too. Will probably sell Amemet once NIN can equip Cerberus Mantle though.

Like a lot of people, I got my Cerberus Mantle free off my LS.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

I never have any problems with my mnk. Even if I got a Cerby mantle, I'd only use it for ballista (defense ftfw). Some people may say (Hey, its only 3 attack), but at the same time I don't see anyone with half a brain using Beetle Earring+1 instead of Merman's.

Sold Foragers to finish Excalibur in lieu of Cerberus Mantle, never looked back; even after I get Valor Cape I'll still most likely keep Cerberus Mantle for fire resist/melee jobs.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Easiest way to trigger overwhelm is to pull hate anyway, I'm lazy in merit parties and having +8 enmity in my tp gear keeps me from having to play the ring-around-the-rosey game

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Drex View Post
    I'm lazy.
    ^

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin View Post
    Often people are given Cerb Mantles for free from their linkshell, and the free Cerb Mantle doesn't look so bad versus a more costly alternative.

In other cases, the person may have a tank job that they use Cerb on. And rather than have both, they just have one.
    Well, I can understand a player that spend most of his time on Nin or War and to some extend Pld could decide to save gil and space and use Cerb's on their Drk or Mnk.

However, out of these cases, it is quite silly to use a cerb mantle.
    By selling the mantle, the player would make gil and wear gear adapted to his job( hence become better)

The "I got it free from ls so I can't sell it" agrument just fails.
    The ls could sell the mantle to buy two foragers and equip two players instead of one, or to equip a player and use the rest of the money to fund dynamis runs or w/e...

Giving free cerb mantles to players that do not play tank jobs regularly seems to be a really really bad management of ls funds

Players who received free Cerbs most likely had tank jobs.

assburgers
    BG Level

Just to chip in, I'd sell a kidney for a Cerb +1...

Not mine of course, just got it from some guy... he won't need it anymore... with the bleeding and dying and all...

I use Cerberus over Foragers for a few reasons.

1) I like the model of Cerberus over Foragers. (Personal preference)
    2) I have PLD and NIN leveled.
    3) Average Cerberus Mantle price was 1.1M on the AH, and I found mine in a bazaar in Rolanberry for 920k. If that wasn't a steal I dont know what is.
    4) 700k for 3 more attack isn't high on my priority list.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast