Closed Thread
Page 393 of 405 FirstFirst ... 343 383 391 392 393 394 395 403 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level

last good,nope, it should be the best movie i saw was "Dangal", an Indian movie.

alrighty then

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by olivia love Yoga View Post
    last good,nope, it should be the best movie i saw was "Dangal", an Indian movie.
    wat

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Saw It Comes At Night with my brother -- both big horror fans, loved The Witch -- and we both left extremely unsatisfied.

I went into the movie knowing nothing about it outside of its title, having seen none of the trailers. The movie was enthralling while it was playing. The directing, the acting, and the cinematography all contribute to a superbly atmospheric movie.

And then it ends. And all of my good will and positive feelings about it ended with it. Go to this movie if you want to be gas lighted.

Spoiler: show
    The entire movie felt like the prelude to some greater universe . . . the first act of a bigger story. It throws a bunch of puzzle pieces on the table, interlaces them with various pieces from different puzzles, and tells you to figure it out. I wanted to love it, but it's a legitimately bad movie, despite all of its very high quality components I mentioned above.

The director has said that he knows in his mind everything that happened off-screen. Well, that's great for him! But he didn't show us, or give us nearly enough clues to paint a coherent picture. I'm someone who loves slow burns, and movies you have to think a little bit to get, but this movie isn't that. The title alone is the first and most important lie in this marketing campaign, made even worse by the disingenuous trailers I've since looked at.

"It Comes At Night"? Well, no, "it" never does. There is no "it" in the movie. Could the movie have conceivably gone with a more abstract interpretation, like paranoia? Sure. But if you ask 20 people coming out of this movie what "it" is, their answers will be as amorphous as what Bill Clinton thinks "is" is. And that's poor movie making.

Why do they absolutely never go outside at night? That implies more than a natural fear of the dark. It implies something is out there.

What does the dog chase after? What does Travis see when he finds the dog, assuming that wasn't a dream? What kills the dog, as is implied by the audio? How did the dog get back to the house? Who opened the doors? Why was the child asleep in the other room, and how did he get there?

What the fuck were the dreams? Were they "it" (surely they would be "they." lol)? At what point was Travis infected? Were the dreams the result of his incubating infection?

To say nothing of what on earth the infection even is.

As best I can piece it together, and this is being generous:

Travis goes out searching for the dog. He finds the dog dying violently of its last stages of infection. He brings it back to the house, and leaves the doors open. He's contracted the virus from the dog, and transmits it to the child when he wakes him up (presumably the kid was just sleepwalking, though his parents denied any history of it). Rather than absconding in the night when Paul and family are quarantined and stealing supplies, Will ridiculously plans to ambush Paul and co. with this gun he's somehow smuggled in. Yada yada, husband and wife choose to comfort Travis as he dies of infection, succumbing to infection themselves rather than live without their son.

That's probably not, actually, what happens, and we can't reasonably conclude that it is. But it's my best guess with the nonsensical pieces we're given. And it doesn't excuse any of the movie's overt implications that something is out there.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

So, my wife and kids are out of town this week so i'm going to have a movie date with my bro. I want to see either Wonder Woman, Guardians 2, or Alien: Covenant.

He's seen the first two but is up to see either again. My wife is probably only interested at all in seeing WW (and even then only once it's on video and she probably wouldn't care if I saw it first). Wat do?

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

burn down your house, fake your own death, and move to mexico

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

see the first two. Alien was p meh compared to the other two.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

You've not seen any of the three? I haven't seen Alien: Covenant, so I can't comment on that. However, Wonder Woman and GOTG2 are vastly different tonally and thematically.

Wonder Woman is very much in the vein of the first Captain America movie. The majority of the movie is set in a world war, with a very dark and grey color palette. Chris Pine injects a fair amount of humor, but otherwise it's pretty somber, yet hopeful. I'd rate it below GOTG2 on its own merits, while saying it's the much more important movie culturally.

GOTG2 is basically identical to the first one, primarily focused on comedy. It's less story-driven this time around and more of a character driven piece, with everyone being developed at least a little more.

I'd say WW has better action, too. Gal Gadot really sells being an amazon.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mertron View Post
    burn down your house, fake your own death, and move to mexico
    Besides the obvious i mean

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    You've not seen any of the three?
    I see about as many movies in the theater per year these days as the number of film degrees (and children) I have.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Covenant was hot garbage, can't go wrong with either of the other two. depends on if you feel like seeing Gal Gadot being all beautiful and heroic or Chris Pratt being all silly and heroic.

BG Level

I like silliness but hot jews are so hot

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    As best I can piece it together, and this is being generous:

Travis goes out searching for the dog. He finds the dog dying violently of its last stages of infection. He brings it back to the house, and leaves the doors open. He's contracted the virus from the dog, and transmits it to the child when he wakes him up (presumably the kid was just sleepwalking, though his parents denied any history of it). Rather than absconding in the night when Paul and family are quarantined and stealing supplies, Will ridiculously plans to ambush Paul and co. with this gun he's somehow smuggled in. Yada yada, husband and wife choose to comfort Travis as he dies of infection, succumbing to infection themselves rather than live without their son.

That's probably not, actually, what happens, and we can't reasonably conclude that it is. But it's my best guess with the nonsensical pieces we're given. And it doesn't excuse any of the movie's overt implications that something is out there.[/spoiler]
    It seemed fairly clear to me that the dog made it back to the house on his own, the child was wandering around and opened the door, Travis found the child in the other room passed out and got infected from holding his hand. There is no reason it would have been Travis as all his time was accounted for, also the child showed signs of infection long before Travis. The only thing that could possibly lead someone to think it's travis is that the dog somehow opened the outermost door before the red door, which I chalk up to poor writing rather than offscreen Travis work. Everything else I I kind of agree with you on except that I didn't even find the majority of it all that enthralling or atmospheric at all. The vvwitch was a fun atmospheric watch with little happening til the end, this was a fairly boring watch throughout.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    It seemed fairly clear to me that the dog made it back to the house on his own, the child was wandering around and opened the door, Travis found the child in the other room passed out and got infected from holding his hand. There is no reason it would have been Travis as all his time was accounted for, also the child showed signs of infection long before Travis. The only thing that could possibly lead someone to think it's travis is that the dog somehow opened the outermost door before the red door, which I chalk up to poor writing rather than offscreen Travis work. Everything else I I kind of agree with you on except that I didn't even find the majority of it all that enthralling or atmospheric at all. The vvwitch was a fun atmospheric watch with little happening til the end, this was a fairly boring watch throughout.
    The only reason I said Travis is because the dog getting in the house and the outer door being open otherwise make absolutely no sense, yeah. It's baffling all around. There's pretty much no way everything fits together in a cogent manner.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

I fucking hated It Comes at Night and the Badabook (w/e) for that matter. Both are guilty of misleadingass marketing. Don't waste your time w/ this pretentious piece of shit, and instead watch this Korean flick I had previously recommended: The Wailing. Shit's going to scare you, make you laugh and cry. If you want even more unanswered questions than Prometheus, then by all means knock yourself out w/ this tripe.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    I like silliness but hot jews are so hot
    Neither movie has a football in the groin though, so maybe skip them all together.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

So I watched Logan. And I didn't really like it. I can't say why other than I really dislike the character to begin with. The little girl that played X-23 was fantastic. I just couldn't get into it

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

I thought the first 2/3rds of it was amazing, then it kinda just seems like the director lost focus and ended up being all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    So I watched Logan. And I didn't really like it. I can't say why other than I really dislike the character to begin with. The little girl that played X-23 was fantastic. I just couldn't get into it
    Not being a dick, legit curious: why would you watch a movie where the central focus is a character you don't like?

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    I was the same way. I came to the conclusion I was just totally done with the wolverine character before I even walked into it.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

i liked logan.

even though it was basically terminator 2