Closed Thread
Page 396 of 405 FirstFirst ... 346 386 394 395 396 397 398 ... LastLast
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Very mixed feelings on Dunkirk. I despise Nolan but expected this to be great. I found it okay, left pretty damn disappointed.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    I despise Nolan but expected this to be great.
    Why? You were never gonna like this.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

I enjoyed Dunkirk. It's definitely different, though -- I'd urge anyone not to go into it expecting much characterization. It's more about the battle and showing you the soldiers and rescuers' experiences and emotions.

Neatest thing about it is that it's the first English film adaptation of the battle in over 50 years. Not the best war movie ever, but really stunning and poignant visuals IMO.

Depending on your theater, I'd seriously suggest bringing earplugs, though, unless you want tinnitus. Shit can get unhealthily loud.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Why? You were never gonna like this.
    Well to clarify its really just Dark Knight Rises, Interstellar, and the "Bravo Nolan" types that have lead to me despising him. I've enjoyed most of his early work. I was really digging the trailers for this and when the awesome reviews poured in I thought it couldn't miss. The sound delivered as did a few of the high intensity moments but god damn is this thing overrated.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by EternityEnd View Post
    I enjoyed Dunkirk. It's definitely different, though -- I'd urge anyone not to go into it expecting much characterization. It's more about the battle and showing you the soldiers and rescuers' experiences and emotions.

Neatest thing about it is that it's the first English film adaptation of the battle in over 50 years. Not the best war movie ever, but really stunning and poignant visuals IMO.

Depending on your theater, I'd seriously suggest bringing earplugs, though, unless you want tinnitus. Shit can get unhealthily loud.
    Spoiler: show
    Man you aint lying about the characterization. I also really question his decision to have the "protagonist" show little to know redeeming qualities throughout the film aside from standing up for his silent french buddy. I understand he was trying to display the desperation of soldiers trapped on the beach but since he didn't seem like a good or bad guy he just came across as cowardly to me. That character out of everyone should have had some characterization. Make him a heroic guy that reached his breaking point or just overtly make him a coward/bad guy that will do what it takes to survive.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

Man you aint lying about the characterization. I also really question his decision to have the "protagonist" show little to know redeeming qualities throughout the film aside from standing up for his silent french buddy. I understand he was trying to display the desperation of soldiers trapped on the beach but since he didn't seem like a good or bad guy he just came across as cowardly to me. That character out of everyone should have had some characterization. Make him a heroic guy that reached his breaking point or just overtly make him a coward/bad guy that will do what it takes to survive.
    I'm not sure I agree. If it was going for a Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers usual heroic war movie, then yeah, but I don't think it was.

The movie's thesis basically seemed to be that all of these soldiers, all of these young men, are just doing the best they can to survive. It's an evacuation. They've already been thoroughly defeated and dispirited. Harry Styles (asshole soldier) says as much at the end -- how he thinks they've failed their country, how ashamed they all are.

"All we did was survive..." / "That's enough." The old man at the end had the right of it.

The French were the real heroes, staying behind until all the English had been evacuated, then surrendering.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

I'm not sure I agree. If it was going for a Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers usual heroic war movie, then yeah, but I don't think it was.

The movie's thesis basically seemed to be that all of these soldiers, all of these young men, are just doing the best they can to survive. It's an evacuation. They've already been thoroughly defeated and dispirited. Harry Styles (asshole soldier) says as much at the end -- how he thinks they've failed their country, how ashamed they all are.

"All we did was survive..." / "That's enough." The old man at the end had the right of it.

The French were the real heroes, staying behind until all the English had been evacuated, then surrendering.
    i feel you 100% I really thought we were going to get a story with fleshed out characters while still showing the horror of the battle. He established no pathos for a single character, I didn't even give a shit about dead Charlie and I think he also came up short on displaying the terror of those stranded on the beach. If memory serves they only got bombed twice on the beach. Now maybe that's accurate but I could have used a little more terror or more of a body count I guess. At least Tom Hardy single-handedly defeated every nazi by the time he showed up. Tom is my favorite actor in the world so you know i was fucking cool with that. Still not sure why he didnt bail when he ran out of gas and just evacuated with the stranded soldiers but whatever.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

Last good movie you saw/and would recommend to others ~

I keep hearing nothing but mixed feelings about this movie. Had originally planned to see this in its full supposed glory at the Smithsonian Airbus IMAX theater over in Dulles. Not sure if worth it now.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

It's worth it to see in theaters for sure.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

i feel you 100% I really thought we were going to get a story with fleshed out characters while still showing the horror of the battle. He established no pathos for a single character, I didn't even give a shit about dead Charlie and I think he also came up short on displaying the terror of those stranded on the beach. If memory serves they only got bombed twice on the beach. Now maybe that's accurate but I could have used a little more terror or more of a body count I guess. At least Tom Hardy single-handedly defeated every nazi by the time he showed up. Tom is my favorite actor in the world so you know i was fucking cool with that. Still not sure why he didnt bail when he ran out of gas and just evacuated with the stranded soldiers but whatever.
    He couldn't turn around at that point. He'd used the last of his fuel and altitude to turn around and gun the final German plane down to protect the beach, and had to commit to his lane. All he could do was land and burn his Spitfire, because that was the latest-and-greatest technology and he couldn't let it fall into German hands.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    I keep hearing nothing but mixed feelings about this movie. Had originally planned to see this in its full supposed glory at the Smithsonian Airbus IMAX theater over in Dulles. Not sure if worth it now.
    I'd still say go for it in imax cuz even if you don't like the movie the sound and visuals are top notch.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

He couldn't turn around at that point. He'd used the last of his fuel and altitude to turn around and gun the final German plane down to protect the beach, and had to commit to his lane. All he could do was land and burn his Spitfire, because that was the latest-and-greatest technology and he couldn't let it fall into German hands.
    I choose to believe he defeated his captors in hand to hand combat and got a nice tan on the beach

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

I choose to believe he defeated his captors in hand to hand combat and got a nice tan on the beach
    Nolan's next movie is Tom Hardy turning around and killing all of the nazis Inglorious Basterds style.

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

Dunkirk was the epitome of ehh. The sound of planes flying over was pretty cool in theaters tho.
    Scene I most enjoyed was just the soldiers below on the beach watching hardy's plane glide past aware that it was was out of gas. But i mostly enjoyed that when I was of the belief that it was him and his planes last scene..

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

saw baby driver

was fun

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

Just watched Baby Driver myself.
    Every time his mom was singing all I could hear was Peyton on Sunday morning.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

chicken parm you taste so good

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

Dunkirk was badass, DAT music hit my feels

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The defiant ones. Documentary on dr. Dre and jimmy ivione. Fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMAX Dunkirk... wow