IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Hitman's Bodyguard A+

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

I liked BB driver and mai waifu Eiza. Didn't like the whole romance w/ the waitress doe.

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

DO NOT WATCH MOTHER

AG was legit biting his hand to prevent busting out laughing near the end and even then some of his incredulous giggles were breakin through. To quote the fine man who walked out of the theater in front of us "So bad. So bad. So bad..." *trailing off into the distance

dont worry aronofsky will say its 3deep5us plebs, we just dont get it

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

If you gave an extremely bright fifteen-year-old a bag of unfamiliar herbs to smoke, and forty million dollars or so to play with, "Mother!" would be the result.
    I hesitate to label it the "Worst movie of the year" when "Worst movie of the century" fits it even better.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I watched Society. This movie is weird as fuck and I kinda love it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

I was very excited when the Mother! audience score of F was announced because it meant I was right in choosing AMERICAN ASSASSIN

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Lol. More fuel to the J.Law is a shit actress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Jlaw isnt the issue with the movie.

since when has she been considered a bad actress? she's phoned it in the last couple x-men movies but in her prestige projects she's great, what is this shit?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah and she was fairly decent in this. The movie is rather divisive though and well if you took everything at face value it definitely looked progressively more trippy and chaotic. 2deep4some

Quote Originally Posted by Critic
    Jennifer Lawrence plays a woman who is listed in the end credits as Mother, though she has no children when the film begins

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    if you took everything at face value
    I don't think the criticism of this movie is coming from people being unable to pierce it's thick veil of subtlety.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I kept hearing over the past 48 hours that people just fucking hate Mother!

...but it has a 68 RT score and a 74! on Metacritic.

Is this just critics getting caught up huffing their own farts or is it just a challenging movie that doesn't follow conventional storytelling?

...i suppose i'm just going to have to see it to find out

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

I'll end up watching it just to see if it's actually bad or just different. I can deal with different.

BG Level

different, artistic, subtle, demanding, i can handle. Terrence Malick and Andrei Tarkovsky are two of my favorite filmmakers. as Deftscythe said the issue was never Panda and i being unable to decipher the metaphors, i'd be surprised if anyone here couldn't to be honest. the issue is they are so incredibly heavyhanded, so hamfistededly shoved down your fucking throat that as Panda related i literally had to bite my hand hard enough to leave teeth marks to stop from bursting out laughing during the movie's emotional climactic revelation.

i respect Aronofsky's technical prowess, the sound design is outstanding and his early framing with every character dominating the scene in extreme closeups creates a unique sense of claustrophobia that helps the film build up a boiling suspense until shit goes 100, and he is undoubtedly a visionary. i just wish his visions weren't so shitty.

it's nowhere near the worst thing i've seen, if anything it's frustrating because he is gifted in ways other directors are not. but for a movie that is pure allegory, that dispenses entirely with actual human behavior to go about with didactic moralizing, the thematic content needs to be more than what a stoned freshman religious studies major who saw An Inconvenient Truth ten years ago would come up with.

Lawrence acts quite well it in, by the by.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    I don't think the criticism of this movie is coming from people being unable to pierce it's thick veil of subtlety.
    All no? Some definitely. And possible part of the reason between such a large difference between critics and viewers... maybe.

Like critics generally got it.. though some somehow simultaneously got it and didn't at other points and some tried to take it symbolically AND literally at the same time in as far as I can tell was an attempt to bring feminism into it lol.

But the viewers are kind of holy fuck. Several it's too disgusting/disturbing imagery (though a couple liked that), people ranging from clearly didn't get a damn thing to a few people saying it wasn't even slightly subtle just pretending to be (though to be fair when you look back on it in retrospect it wasn't as much as when you watched it), to people who actually thought it was a real horror/thriller and graded it as such.

One point that several of the critics and viewers both negative and positive had in common was that pacing was kind of terrible. Imo a large part of what made it not easy to figure out quickly wasn't necessarily how subtle it was being but the rapidity at which it jumped from one thing to the next crazier thing especially near the end. And sometimes just having some of the important details only up for a second (the sick Ed Harris scene comes to mind since I literally blinked and missed seeing the "injury" it was up for so little time). Made it hard to even follow let alone actually digest what is actually going on. Pretty much everything after the crowd shows up at the house was just random stream of consciousness while when it was just the 2 or 4 it was actually kind of good. Also I'll say while most the performances were pretty good though not great but Bardem's character... well had no character

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    One point that several of the critics and viewers both negative and positive had in common was that pacing was kind of terrible. Imo a large part of what made it not easy to figure out quickly wasn't necessarily how subtle it was being but the rapidity at which it jumped from one thing to the next crazier thing especially near the end. And sometimes just having some of the important details only up for a second (the sick Ed Harris scene comes to mind since I literally blinked and missed seeing the "injury" it was up for so little time). Made it hard to even follow let alone actually digest what is actually going on. Pretty much everything after the crowd shows up at the house was just random stream of consciousness while when it was just the 2 or 4 it was actually kind of good. Also I'll say while most the performances were pretty good though not great but Bardem's character... well had no character
    Well when your goal is to
    Spoiler: show
    tell the entire story of the bible
    in 2 hours, shit is going to get rushed.

I don't see how anyone could miss what the movie was doing since Aronofsky is out there just stating it flatly.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    Well when your goal is to
    tell the entire story of the bible
    in 2 hours, shit is going to get rushed.

I don't see how anyone could miss what the movie was doing since Aronofsky is out there just stating it flatly.
    not just that but vague humans are violent, environmentalism and climate change sort. Shit really just got thrown in at the end

As for miss well not to poke at one person but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Also lol @ them very clearly explaining it. They didn't. Maybe it's obvious if you know the

bible

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

If you turned off your brain entirely and just sat back in a semi comatose state you could enjoy the movie far more. Or if you are an antisocial person who hates the idea of inconsiderate jackasses traipsing about your house it makes for a great tense and relatable horror. It has 0 depth to it and I fail to see how anyone could miss anything going on even at the most chaotic of parts unless they had fallen asleep during the slower first third of it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    I was right in choosing AMERICAN ASSASSIN
    Totally missed this but how was it. Mostly heard it was just ok except Keaton of course killed it