+ Reply to Thread
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

A question for any serious golfers

I'm looking to buy a new putter. Thinking about Odyssey White Hot Tour. Any suggestions?

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Shit is situational I suppose. In all my years golfing I've never noticed a putter making much of a difference. I've been using a Ping hollow-back putter for years and have become both very comfortable with it and happy. I've tried some of the larger mallet-head types (or whatever they're called), as well as the old-school solid putters and never really noticed a discernible difference.

If you're buying it from your local pro shop then ask to take it out to the putting green for a while or play a round with it before buying.

Like any good clubs, finding one that fits with your height and has a comfortable weight seems to count for almost everything. Personally, I never liked putters with heavy heads, I had a difficult time gauging how far it would roll with all that momentum.

PS: I used to play a lot as a teenager, but now only go play a round every few months with friends so I'm not all that up on more modern equipment.

Used to play often back when I was younger but now work and family take up my time.

As for putters gonna say go with what feels good to you. I use a putter I found in the bottom of a water trap when I was 15. I was stoked cause it looked newer than the garage sale putter I was using. Fell in love with it and my putting game was about the only thing I was good at.

Its a Ping Anser 3 and its the only club I actually take care of.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

When I bought my putter I went into the store and just started screwing around with different models until I found one that I liked, was comfortable with and all that.

Putters are one of those clubs that is more personal preference in my opinion. I picked mine because I like the feel of the more mallet looking putters, and I also liked the way the lines were on the putter as well -- a goofy thing I guess, but I could envision my line better with the club I picked (or at least I felt that way!).

Like I said, personal preference on the putter. I love mine but my dad has no idea how I can putt with a club that has such a large head on it, and I can't understand for the life of me how some people deal with the long putter shaft. So if you like the Odyssey putter you mentioned after you putt with it for a bit, go for it.

FYI, the putter I picked was the Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie model if you are curious.

Bump:

My grandfather wants to start playing again and asked me to join him once or twice a month. I used to have hand me down clubs but got rid of them a few years back.

Are those "beginner" sets worth it at all? I see some have good reviews as starter sets but then some have "the head of my driver flew 50 yds". I don't see myself playing more than twice a month but renting clubs is eventually going to add up.

Anyone ever use or play with those $200-$300 starter sets? Or am I better off just renting until I can get something better if I decide to play more often.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

When i first started playing about 10 years ago i had a set of walmart clubs. cougar or some shit. i never had one break or anything like that. for a beginner or someone who doesnt play often it wont make much of a difference. since i play alot though, i went and bought a whole new set of calloways 3-7 and new woods and i dropped about 12 strokes of my game. So if you think you are gonna play alot get yourself a good set. if not look into some adams i hear the are pretty good and midrange in the price department. also nike slingshot irons arent that expensive and they are decent.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Really cheap graphite shaft clubs, especially drivers, just plain suck. I have had the "head of driver flew further than my ball" experience with a cheapo driver due to stress failure of the graphite shaft where it mates to the head.

Usually the worst thing about cheap irons is that they're heavy (due to the lower quality materials used in the steel shafts and heads) and only come in one size. If you're not in that 5'8-5'11 range for men's clubs they may feel a bit awkward.

CraigsList and yard sales are often really good places to buy clubs; they're a lot like motorcycles that way, someone has to get rid of them quickly (wife aggro heh) or they are upgrading and don't want to keep the old set.

Lower-end lines from reputible brands (Ping, Titelist, Oddesey, Calliway, etc) are probably better than no-name or knockoff brands. Don't forget that having your own clubs will not only allow you to practice more and play on your own time, but to really feel some ownership with the game and probably get you out on the course more often.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Another thing about purchasing a better quality club is that if you are a halfway decent player you might want to pay for the extra performance. Like elsirdur said maybe u can get a decent set off someone. better clubs let you hit bad shots better and decent shots really good. Alot of knockoff irons dont have some of the forgiveness that you would get from a calloway or ping iron. also, if you are short like elsidur said you might need to get fitted. Depending on your arm length and height standard clubs might be too long for you making it really hard for you to play well.

Dolmen

#1 - That putter is excellent, but as others have pointed out go solely with what feels good to you. Find a putter that keeps your swing true.

#2 - Getting the cheapest set of a name brand is absolutely worth the extra $50-$100 over buying the starter sets. You can get a set of Adams irons for $200, and then pick out maybe a woods set, or mix and match some woods. Around this time you can get some decent deals as the golf season will be winding down.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Speaking of woods, as a male player you're generally cheaper to equip than a female player because you really only need two, hell maybe even one, wood. Obviously you need a driver, something with a 9.5-11* loft, and a 3-wood (usually about 14-15.5* if I recall) if you want it, then otherwise you'll just be using your long irons.

Back on my home course when I played regularly I had a driver, 5-wood, and a 2-iron for long distance hitting. The 5-wood was for getting out of trouble or instances where I needed distance and loft. I loved playing long irons, maybe I'm some golf freak like that lol. I guess I liked my long irons because the length of the club fit my long and lean frame better than my standard-sized mid irons. I suppose it was a bit for show as well because the majority of the people I played with, either friends or pickups, couldn't do shit with anything above a 5-iron. Pulling out your long irons and using them adds a good deal of versatility to your game, especially if you get stuck under a tree or in a situation were you need distance but don't have the space for a great deal of loft in your shot.

If your course is not all that long, say only 3 or 4 par 5s and most of your par 4s coming in at under 400 or 425 yds, you can probably get away with just a driver once you get more experienced with your long irons.

Thanks for all the replies, I checked Craiglist for the last few weeks and have not seen anything locally. I can check the papers and maybe find something there, otherwise I will shop around and put together a decent set for myself.

Thanks again.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbreed View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, I checked Craiglist for the last few weeks and have not seen anything locally. I can check the papers and maybe find something there, otherwise I will shop around and put together a decent set for myself.

Thanks again.
    I was thinking about this, but neglected to put it into my earlier post.

Being summer, finding used stuff probably won't be easy since everyone's out playing now and in the stores everything will be full-priced. Early or late winter is the best time to buy golf supplies, but prices can level off around Christmas for gifts (though you can still probably fine sales anytime between October and March depending on the length of the golf season in your area)

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Golfsmith.com sometimes has good deals too.