Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Gaming Headset Question

So my last headset crapped out on me and I need to buy a new one.

What I'm looking for is a headset/mic combo where I can direct the voice to come through the headset, while having the regular game sound come through my speakers.

I've got some decent speakers and I live alone so I really don't want to use a full headset system; especially if my girl is over and I want to play TF2 while she plays WoW or something - just not nice to have headphones on.

It seems to be increasingly hard to find single-ear headset microphones, especially ones with separate mic/speaker jacks. I'm not so sure about USB units since I do not know if they come with software that will allow you to split the sound streams up (if the games do either)

For reference all I need it for is WoW and TF2.

Thanks for any advice.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

If your looking for a nice USB one, logitech makes some nice ones, can get them at best buy or cicuit city.

"What I'm looking for is a headset/mic combo where I can direct the voice to come through the headset, while having the regular game sound come through my speakers."

Every USB headset should be able to do this because it is considered a seperate audio device and doesn't depend on your soundcard. For example, you can set your default output device to speakers in control panel, then change Ventrilo output device to USB Headset in the Ventrilo configurations.

Being able to do this with a single audio device really depends on the device being capable of doing so, not the headset itself.

Besides that, I'm not sure if there ever was such thing as a "gaming" headset that was only a single ear piece. I recommend looking at logitech for decent quality USB headsets.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Thanks for the info Avanarius, that answered my questions. I didn't know that USB headsets were detected as separate audio devices which should help with directing the sound where I want it to.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

As a small plug, Motorola Bluetooth Headsets work in a similar fashion & it's what I use. If you don't forget to plug it in every other night or so to charge it's quite nice. I've got the audio for Teamspeak/Ventrilo & Mic going through the headset and FFXI/Music coming through my speakers. Both Teamspeak & Ventrilo will default to your speakers if the bluetooth headset isn't sync'd up so it worked out quite well. The USB route is a little cheaper, I just figured I would throw some additional advice out there.