+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bottle Shock the movie     submit to reddit submit to twitter

evilbau

Bottle Shock the movie

I don't know if anyone knows about this movie, but I just went to see it this weekend, and its a 'dramedy' about Napa valley in the seventies. My sister was an investor on this film and she threw a wine tasting party and showing of this movie. I thought I would do my brotherly duty and spread the word about this film for those of you who like wine or just like a good movie where Americans beat the French For those of you in LA, I saw it at the Landmark theater in Westside Pavillion. I had a good time watching the movie, hope others enjoy it too

It's 1976, and Jim Barrett (Bill Pullman) is struggling to create the perfect chardonnay at Chateau Montelena, his vineyard in the not-yet-famous Napa Valley, where he has jeopardized everything for a dream. His son, Bo (Chris Pine), at first glance doesn't seem to have inherited his father’s love for the family business, and the two of them are often found duking it out in the backyard boxing ring, each hoping to knock some sense into the other. Steven Spurrier (Alan Rickman) is a British expatriate living in Paris who owns the Academie du Vin; out of necessity, he develops an idea to educate Parisians, not on French wine, but on the new wines coming out of California. A twist of fate along a dusty road brings the floundering vintner and the struggling shop owner together, changing both their lives—and the wine industry—forever.

Director Randall Miller delicately composes Bottle Shock as a cinematic love letter to California’s wine country, where he shot the film in its sun-soaked entirety. Based on a true story, the film reveals America’s initiation into and contribution to vinification, along with the brave and enterprising artisans who love nothing more than to bottle it.
    http://www.bottleshockthemovie.com/

Other Links
    http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,4155177.story

I almost read that as Bioshock, but now you're telling me it's about grape juice and not delicious plasmids?

evilbau

yeah its a movie for elitist wine snobs, it has archibald's name written all over it (go see it!)

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Haha yeah I told the head of my wine club to get us free tickets to the premiere but he dropped the ball. Tell your sister that if she wants some free publicity she should get a hold of Jesse Porter at youngwinosofla.com and we'll go as a group and give it a writeup!

evilbau

Well shes not exactly the PR agent for the movie but I'll tell her what you wrote. Thanks!

Hope some of you see this movie and enjoy it!

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Actually my wine club is arranging a screening of this next week at the Laemmle Sunset 5 (right up the street from my apt) and the director will be there.

So I guess contact has been made lol.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Azgalor

Quote Originally Posted by Obev View Post
    I almost read that as Bioshock, but now you're telling me it's about grape juice and not delicious plasmids?
    I saw this too I was so excited...

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

This actually got mentioned in the BBC just now, i don't know, but when the BBC tells me to go watch something, i do it. Also, loves me some Alan Rickman.

Wasn't this movie originally named Sideways?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by riddaraan View Post
    Wasn't this movie originally named Sideways?
    Sideways is about how not to deal with a midlife crisis and cold feet.

Bottle Shock is about a historical event that introduced California wine into the global market in the mid-70s. And it promises to be more funny than pathetic.