Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    To get back on topic, didn't certain EQ raids take upwards of 12+ hours just to reach the boss, due to the density and relative difficulty of clearing the trash in the intervening zones/dungeons? Not sure G4 has done its homework on what exactly constitues the most 'hardcore' games ever if such an occurence was far more common in older-gen MMOs than FFXI. Sure FFXI has a notoriously bad time invested/reward ratio but it's likely not the worst offender in the history of video gaming.
    No idea on how long it took to clear trash to get to bosses, but as far as actual boss fights went, I don't think any actual single attempts took anywhere near that long. But if you want to look at what might be the closest to an EQ "equivalent" of PW, this is a good start:

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorp...wrong-you.html

Also, EQ had *tons* more targets to raid, everything (or practically) everything was world spawn for the first 4-5 expansions, and there was no limit to the # of people you could have fighting something at once.

Chamcham

I used to play EQ from shortly after the begining. While some of the events (raids, or what-have you) were quite long-winded; there was never a situation remotely like what PW has presented being at 18h+ with a LS that makes most look like socials'.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Quicklet View Post
    No idea on how long it took to clear trash to get to bosses, but as far as actual boss fights went, I don't think any actual single attempts took anywhere near that long. But if you want to look at what might be the closest to an EQ "equivalent" of PW, this is a good start:

Also, EQ had *tons* more targets to raid, everything (or practically) everything was world spawn for the first 4-5 expansions, and there was no limit to the # of people you could have fighting something at once.
    A friend of mine that played EQ more than I care to even imagine described the difficulty of the grueling long sessions pretty well when he saw the FFXI spot (he used to play FFXI, then went WoW)..."In EQ I could be watching an entire I Love Lucy marathon while mashing 4 buttons and not even be looking at the screen for hours on end in EQ."

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Quicklet View Post

It's been years since Furor told SOE they had 14 days to fix Plane of Time. Wonder what this will do for SE.

Although to be honest, I was expecting a Kerafyrm reference before Rathe Council.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Never played EQ... Who is Furor, and what significance did he (they?) have? What ended up happening with the situation in question?

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    Never played EQ... Who is Furor, and what significance did he (they?) have? What ended up happening with the situation in question?
    My memory is a bit foggy, but here's what I remember.

Furor was the leader of Fires of Heaven, one of the top three guilds in EverQuest. At the time, the Rathe Council was considered a cockblock encounter that had only been won in its "original form" by Afterlife. Victory over the Rathe Council guaranteed entry into Plane of Time, the last major raid zone of the Planes of Power expansion.

Ultimately the Rathe Council was altered once again. FoH progressed. However, once FoH got past RC, they found that Plane of Time had not been finished. Hence the 14 day reference.

Funny enough, Furor is now an employee of Blizzard as a quest designer (He was fed up with SOE's shit).

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by elphaba View Post
    I'm more incensed that all these sites feel it right to just blatantly copy and not correctly cite the sources of all this.. my journalistic side cringes.
    I agree. I'm in my last year of my journalism program and this shitty news covering just makes me laugh.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik View Post
    I will equip my SonomaaSaber and see how things go.
    I wouldn't ban him, just give him a custom title along the lines of "I owned myself by trying to stand up to RKenshin." There's a certain stigma that comes with saying mods are never ever ever never ever never never ever wrong, but as far as this particular situation, dude's an idiot lol.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

The Furor rant was pretty legendary, and inspired a 'fuck you Furor' rant when WoW came out and Furor was in charge of designing raids.

http://n3rfed.blogs.com/n3rfed/2006/...ueaky_whe.html

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wow, I felt all tingly when Morgan Fucking Webb was talking about my game, and mentioned BtL in particular, lol.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Epical View Post
    Wow, I felt all tingly when Morgan Fucking Webb was talking about my game, and mentioned BtL in particular, lol.
    I am curious, is that the woman who was featured in this cartoon: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=218?

If so, I get it now.

I just uncovered a Snapshot of the SE team in action fighting AV!

A. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by FayeFaye View Post
    I just uncovered a Snapshot of the SE team in action fighting AV!
    xd

Well done.

surprised noone pointed out how terrible the difficulty and length of the PW fight scales compared to the T4 fights. a T4 takes 15-20 minutes with an alliance... so yeah. there's nothing that prepares you for 18 hours of fighting.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    I am curious, is that the woman who was featured in this cartoon: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=218?

If so, I get it now.
    Yes. You have met the jaw. Bow down to it's fearsome clenching ability.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post
    "Final Fantasy XI is now officially the most messed-up, hardcore game ever."

This is why I hate G4.
    did anyone else see the irony in her statement?

"All I have to say is.. WOW"

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by anathema View Post
    surprised noone pointed out how terrible the difficulty and length of the PW fight scales compared to the T4 fights. a T4 takes 15-20 minutes with an alliance... so yeah. there's nothing that prepares you for 18 hours of fighting.
    Same is true for AV as well.

A. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    did anyone else see the irony in her statement?

"All I have to say is.. WOW"
    This might not be the best thread in BG's history, but it's been continuously funny for me since it started in the other topic.

I think it's deserving of at least one internet for making the hard journey to the other glowing box.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

to be fair to AV, JoL initially took like 3+ hours (if you went through all the pets to stop the regen) and still takes around at least 1 hour-ish on a good strat mainly due to stopping the regen thing...

you also have to consider that most groups that do JoL will tend to bring more than 1 full ally so that they have people to deal with J Lo and handle the adds...

anyway.. more bad press gogo!

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The more bad press the better. Maybe then SE will stop acting like the worst programmers on earth...

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast