BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Terrestrial Rage
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Pld gear 59-75

Just hit 59 on Pld today, and im torn between some gear choices. Atm my gear looks like:

Gluttony/RK Shield/-/Morion
    Gallant/Beak/Buckler/Mercenary's
    Haub+1/Storm Mano's/Ulthalam's/Ether
    Earth Mantle/Swift/Gallant/Gallant

First question involves my roll in a party. Before these next few levels, the access to DD gear was limited, but now i find myself switching in pieces for DD just because the Enmity or VIT counterpart isnt that good. Should i go all out DD? (Acc ring instead of Ether, Attack earrings instead of Shield/Vit?)

Second question is in regards to the levels coming up, and all the way til 75. Should i stay the DD gear course? (Acc neck, Amemet +1 in the next 2 levels) Thank you!

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Race can play an important factor. What are you?

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

I just hit 70 myself...I'd ditch the Gluttony for a TM Espadon +1/2, and @ 60 IR Shield is great, Sentinel Shield is nice too. At 65 go Beaver Tail+1 for sword, if you have Joyeuse @ 70 it's a monster for hate in XP from what I've experienced so far.

In regards to party role, I do both sort of, all my Flash/Voke etc is done in Enmity gear, then I idle in DD gear...if the party is really heavy on DD and my output is much less by comparison I just focus on hate/helping cure, but the additional DD output of the hybrid style really helps holding hate. I'd ditch the Ether ring either way, Hercules ring is coming up, or a Mermaid if you can now for Flash/Voke, then acc ring for idling.

For the back I use Resentment Cape and Amemet+1, though aside from Resentment Cape the enmity choices on back is nonexistant I believe, so may be better to stay with a High Breath. For legs, R.K. Breeches are good, I stay in Gallant feet full time. For hands, Fourth Gauntlets for TP, Sipahi for WS, AF or Storm for hate moves.

And if you haven't already, start making AN for the Iron Ram gear, it really is a fantastic set for the ease of getting it, head and legs are both very nice.

Edit: Also for neck I idle in PCC, but I have a macro to tap Parade Gorget in when HP is high enough. I also swap a Shield Torque into C3/C4.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Terrestrial Rage
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Elvaan, btw

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Me too, ftr. And MP really isn't enough of an issue to warrant the Ether Ring, trust me.

Atlasion

Amemet Mantle +1 would be good. Focus on DD, but good to have DEF and MP/enmity gear incase you're fighting something you can't DD.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Copypasta from a post I made on a different forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    To keep hate around levels 52 and above, turtle tanking doesn't work. Mobs become squishier and Paladins can't keep up with just Voke and DEF, VIT and Enmity gear. Recommend a Hybrid setup to your friend. This is probably the ideal set for level 60:

Weapon: Tactician Magician's Espadon +2
    Shield: Wivre Shield
    Ammo: Tiphia Sting
    Head: Gallant Coronet
    Neck: Peacock Charm
    Body: Haubergeon +1
    Ear1: Assault Earring
    Ear2: Buckler Earring
    Hands: Gallant Gauntlets
    Ring1: Ulthalam's Ring
    Ring2: Rajas Ring
    Waist: Swift Belt
    Back: High Breath Mantle
    Legs: Gallant Breeches
    Feet: Gallant Leggings

This set gives +33 Accuracy, +13 DEX, +38 Attack, +13 STR, 4% Haste and +19 Enmity. With a setup like this, you'll be contributing to the party's damage, all while keeping hate and mitigating a good amount of damage.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I was a "Turtle Pld" for all of my leveling and I didn't have too much trouble holding hate. I like Callisto's hybrid role though.

Some changes I would suggest:
    Beak ~> Parade Gorget (I fulltimed it til 65 since I would always keep myself cured enough to keep it active)
    Mercenary's ~> Assault Earring would be better for the DD aspect. I think I used Intruder's Earring.
    Ether ~> Mermaid Ring, BQ Ring (I liked the HP), or another acc ring.
    Earth Mantle ~> High Breath Mantle

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

You have Storm Manopolas? Die in a fire. Seriously.

(and inb4Furionstormrage)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Let's face it, no one is going to invite you for your DD capabilities through those levels, it'd be nice if we could maintain hate through damage alone, but other jobs simply do it better. It's basically a balance between everything everyone has already said (dd, enmity, hp, vit). However, while it's nice to have options try not to hinder your purpose to the party (for example, mages get especially pished off if you blink when they're trying to cure)!

I'm a hume, so VIT and HP is more of an issue for me than perhaps yourself. Maybe try and score some of the iron ram gear (the head hands and legs would perhaps be of more benefit for you at the moment) from campaign for the buckets of enmity it gives, the mag defence is always useful in places like the mire with imp's aga and tier III. Maintaining this approach, you could pick up high breath mantle if you're having trouble finding enmity for other slots (Allied Notes can be a pain to accumulate quickly if you don't enjoy campaign).

As for your second question it depends what you're doing and where. I never bothered to gain hate through DD myself and I don't bother to do so now. Hopefully when you are required to tank, you'll be supported with players that don't perform epeen felacio by WSing at the very start of a fight before you establish some hate!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Aht Urghan mobs are mostly wimps compared to what people used to XP on, so there's no reason that a PLD should use a Mach+1 or anything that hurts their ability to hit the mob.

To answer the OP, I'd keep Shield Skill gear where you can get it, and DD everywhere else unless the DD option is a minimal amount and you could instead wear a good Enmity option. (Thinking back slot until 61, legs maybe, head)

Edit: This is assuming that your PT isn't overcamping, if that's the case, you could go all Shield/DEF/VIT and suffer it out, or find another party.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Furionstormrage View Post
    Aht Urghan mobs are mostly wimps compared to what people used to XP on, so there's no reason that a PLD should use a Mach+1 or anything that hurts their ability to hit the mob.
    Use it with Dorado Sushi.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I full time vermy cloak and become another healer aside from single RDM. I don't care much about losing aggro since all DD/NIN anyway, it would be great to let them get hate for a few shadows then Flash the monster back. In XP party the goal is to get much as exp as possible, so taking minimal damage, become less mp sink is also a step forward to that goal.

House Azazael
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I will go ahead and ask this here since it is semi relevant.

I am a 47 PLD now. From what I read AF is a pretty decent option as I get it (situational if nothing else), is that still pretty accurate? I am in 4/5 I.R. gear right now.

As a Mithra PLD how long could I wear my RSE Hands for without looking sad?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

yes it is, PLD AF1 is one of the job's AF that is actually useful

dont know about the rse, i'm elvaan

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Casca Wolftamer
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Ruiner View Post
    To keep hate around levels 52 and above, turtle tanking doesn't work. Mobs become squishier and Paladins can't keep up with just Voke and DEF, VIT and Enmity gear. Recommend a Hybrid setup to your friend. This is probably the ideal set for level 60:

Weapon: Tactician Magician's Espadon +2
    Shield: Wivre Shield
    Ammo: Tiphia Sting
    Head: Gallant Coronet
    Neck: Peacock Charm
    Body: Haubergeon +1
    Ear1: Assault Earring
    Ear2: Buckler Earring
    Hands: Gallant Gauntlets
    Ring1: Ulthalam's Ring
    Ring2: Rajas Ring
    Waist: Swift Belt
    Back: High Breath Mantle
    Legs: Gallant Breeches
    Feet: Gallant Leggings

This set gives +33 Accuracy, +13 DEX, +38 Attack, +13 STR, 4% Haste and +19 Enmity. With a setup like this, you'll be contributing to the party's damage, all while keeping hate and mitigating a good amount of damage.
    Umm Sorry but I dont see why you would use a swift belt here. I remember reading that before you had 10% haste it wasnt really worth it.

Shouldnt a life belt be better in that case ? Also as pld I wouldnt use Tiphia sting personaly, would rather use a Bibiki or Olibanum Sachet.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by AzazaelFenrir View Post
    You'll be fine wearing RSE until AF.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kimkytaru View Post
    Umm Sorry but I dont see why you would use a swift belt here. I remember reading that before you had 10% haste it wasnt really worth it.
    Because assuming your support doesn't fail you should have 15% haste off the bat, and every bit helps in regards to recast timers. The 10% haste thing you heard was in regards to Haste vs. Acc for a melee DD, but PLD has Flash recast timers to worry about as well.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by AzazaelFenrir View Post
    Until AF hands. Mithra RSE is quite good, my girlfriend still uses the RSE shoes on her 50ish DRK. (She'd like Luisant but time farming gil vs having fun with the game..

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands
    for lvl 60..

Gluttony (or Macuahuitl +1 if u need more enmity)/Iron Ram Shield till 69 use General's shield till 73 use Koenig shield/(Lamia Kaman +1 at lvl 75)/Morion or Bibikay Seashell

Gallant/Parade Gorget/Buckler/Insomnia

Gallant/Gallant/Mermaid/Ether(till hercules lvl66)

Knight mantle (or lamia mantle 65)/Astral rope (Swift for /nin)/Gallant/Gallant

mostly after lvl 70 there is so so many gears to chose from for a PLD, u need to know wat kind of gears u need VIT/DEF, MDB, Enmity, HP or MP, and have as much as u could with ya all the time.

Switch to acc/att for ws to help hate.

that will be all dm(^.^)mb