Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Voluptuous Vivian-RDM/NIN.

Hokay, i really want this Ring, mainly because of it's rarity but also because it's a nice piece of MP equip. I've google'd for hours looking for an in-depth guide on how to solo this thing as RDM/NIN; where to stand, what meds to have, what gear is necessary, how does her window work/pop conditions etc...

I've solo'd a fair amount of NMs, but the thing that scares me about VV is the fact i can't bind/grav and run, it's toe-to-toe, and being a Taru it just seems like an extremely intense fight.

What i' asking for, are peoples' accounts of Soloing this, or watching others solo this, or have camped it....basically, anyone who has any knowledge of this NM that can advise me!

Much appreciated~

ViVi~

Relic Shield
    BG Level

You'll learn the most from taking what you know now, applying it and seeing first hand what you need to improve, without screenshots of your gear, macros etc. We can't tell you how well you'll do.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If you want a video of it, you could try this or this.
    One of them is a tad bad quality, but it'll give you some insight to the fight/where to stand, etc.

Also, I think this should be in the Newbie Section?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Just because you can't run away from it, doesn't mean to say its scary.
    Slow 2 and haste gear, you're basicly tanking it and doting it, there are two places to stand but which one works for you is trial and error as you prob already know.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Voluptuous_Vivian - Wiki's.
    http://wiki.bluegartr.com/Voluptuous_Vivian - BG's Wiki.
    Incase you have a prefence for not going to wiki.

The TP moves from VV are the only real issue, carry Echos and some Remedys, you might also want to take a few poison pots for the 2hr, around 40-50% use them.

Usual buffs i.e Prot/shell/haste/stoneskin/phal/ref
    Dots: Bio 2, Poison 2.
    He can attack pretty fast so only really recast a buff after you've put utsu up, shouldn't be relying on stoneskin to save your ass if you miss a cast.

Where to stand is
    http://images.wikia.com/ffxi/images/...hda-tree-4.jpg
    (G-5) - Literaly where the line comes to meet the circle surrounding the VV name.
    (H-5) - To the east.
    Which one works for you only experience will tell, do note tho if someone does train the spiders while running to DA, they can repop too close and maybe aggro if you arn't right against the wall.
    Don't think i missed anything..

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Ok, Does VV use Sweet Breath (The sleep one) Only when using 2 hour? Or can she do it anytime?

Wiki says has a high resistance to Paralyze and Sleep, is this confirmed or can she be slept in emergency situations? Same goes for Para, is it worth even trying to land Paralyze?

I know 90% of this is trial and error, but any information is good information. Ty for the responses.

ViVi~

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I've never even tried to sleep it since i've seen blm's ES-Sleep2 resist.
    I wouldn't waste my mp on para.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Vivian's a lottery mob from the Demonic Rose in the room highlighted above, as you know. They're easy to solo on RDM, even more so when /NIN, the only issue is keeping your distance from the spiders so you need to keep alert whilst running around in there. The Rose/Vivian herself will pop exactly 16 minutes after the placeholder dies, but be warned it can take a hell of a long time to pop Vivian. The max I went was once something like 4+ hours. After Vivian dies her lottery starts again 16 hours later. Here's a few pointers for the fight itself:

1. You need to pull perfectly (meaning you sometimes need to wait 20+ minutes for the spiders in the room to move) to the exact position in the room where the spiders will not aggro you. You can find out where that is by watching videos of previous solos.

2. Paralyze will not stick, but Slow II is very easy (and essential) to land, even with full MND gear which is also important. Obviously you can't Sleep her, however she is easy to Bind and Gravity, although from what I've seen that's only useful if you need to recover in an emergency whilst duoing with a melee job. Keep Poison II on to whittle away her HP (she doesn't have an enormous amount), and Bio II/III as well if you're confident in your ability to survive extra Bad Breaths.

3. You really don't want to give her TP if you can avoid it, which means keeping shadows and Stoneskin up at all times, á la Rapido. Since you can't Paralyze Vivian and she can Double Attack you'll be quite stretched with your recast timers, so a good Haste setup is vital. For the times you simply don't have any shadows left, you'll need a damage reduction setup (Terra's Staff, Jelly Ring, Cheviot/Umbra Cape, maybe some Darksteel(+1)) since she does hit quite hard.

4. Vivian will use her 2-hour (Meikyo Shisui) at some point during the fight. If you're lucky she'll just spam three weaker TP moves, but more than likely this is the part where you'll have to deal with Bad Breath. As soon as you see the 2-hour animation, equip your damage reduction set. Then if she uses Bad Breath, wait until after her 2-hour has finished and spam Remedies until one gets off; this could take a few attempts since the Paralyze can be a bitch. From there just get your buffs/debuffs back up and continue.

It's not a particularly easy fight, but it's certainly not the hardest RDM/NIN challenge imaginable. However, from reading your posts thus far in this topic, OP, I'd wager you're probably not ready to deal with Vivian yet. I'd recommend trying easier stuff first, like Amikiri perhaps, or maybe Genbu just to build your confidence. Also practice your blink-tanking and ensure you pay really close attention, as you can't afford to screw up much when fighting something like Vivian.

Keep in mind that the drop rate of the Ring can be fairly atrocious for such an annoying NM (in terms of position and relative difficulty). I personally went 1/21 on mine, with TH4 present for at least 50% of the fights. Of course you could always get lucky and go 1/1 as a lot of people seem to do (bastards), but don't bank on it. My advice is to just keep going back again and again and don't get discouraged; it will drop at some point, and the euphoria and prestige of being able to say you persevered will be well worth it.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

Theres a thread(up to date) in newbie where someone was asking this. And the other guy was telling where to stand etc.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Moved from Advanced.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I've done Amikiri, Ungur, lolGenbu, Zipacna, Steam Cleaner, Got Faust to 67% (Meh, i'm proud) etc...But they're more simplistic in nature simply because you have the distance between you and the mob itself. (Unless Faust comes unbound after 2 seconds). I just wanted knowledge, and i appreciate your little guide there :D.

Maybe i'll find it's easier when i get around to do it idk, just allways looked like a very hard fight (On par with Faust). As for Haste, i'd have access to Dusk Feet/Hands (NQ) ~ Af2 body ~ Af1 Hat obviously, Loq. Earring. But that's it, no swift belt...Would this be enough?

Also, would it be worth being engaged on Vivian during the whole fight? My staff skill isn't exactly capped so i'd miss alot and but the parrying chance would be nice. Or will the occasional hits just cause me TP problems?

Thanks for your info mate!

ViVi~

Just for insight, there really is a bare minimum level of Haste you need in your gear before this becomes possible. Unless you have.. I'd say ~13% Haste, assuming you don't have a Tabard, your recasts won't be low enough, and you'll run out of MP from needing to recast Stoneskin every other attack round.

EDIT: You have plenty of Haste, nevermind.

And I would strongly advice engaging; Not only for the reason you mentioned, but because Enfire riding the back of a Ceremonial Dagger speeds this fight up considerably. If you have any Club skill, I would advise you to use a Neptune's Staff for Slow2, just to save yourself the chance of accidentally feeding her more TP.

Oh yeah! Spend the money on actual Remedies! I can't even begin to express the difference it made when I stopped being a cheap ass and bought the real thing, rather than the cheap ones that rid you of statuses one at a time.

the staffs are just there to help you, you should try using dagger when your not using staff + some type of enspell, or just full time terra/earth staff

When you have one or less shadows, macro to full damage reduction gear(for me, this is 5/5 darksteel+1, umbra cape, terras, jelly ring).. when you have 3, macro to ceremonial dagger/genbus shield/whatever refresh or regen you have. Keep enfire, slow2, haste, phalanx, protect4 up at all times and stoneskin whenever you have a fresh utsusemi.. tacos are a good food, and since you already mentioned you're taru you may want to consider upgrading to pescatora for the hp(personally, the 2hr isn't a threat on NIN or RDM.. but tsuko seems to have problems with it).

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuko
    If you have any Club skill, I would advise you to use a Neptune's Staff for Slow2, just to save yourself the chance of accidentally feeding her more TP.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    When you have one or less shadows, macro to full damage reduction gear(for me, this is 5/5 darksteel+1, umbra cape, terras, jelly ring).. when you have 3, macro to ceremonial dagger/genbus shield/whatever refresh or regen you have. Keep enfire, slow2, haste, phalanx, protect4 up at all times and stoneskin whenever you have a fresh utsusemi.. tacos are a good food, and since you already mentioned you're taru you may want to consider upgrading to pescatora for the hp(personally, the 2hr isn't a threat on NIN or RDM.. but tsuko seems to have problems with it).

No.
    To each his own, but when Bad Breath is in your target's repertoire, I prefer to avoid any unnecessary TP-feeding. If you're not fast enough to swap back to Ceremonial Dagger, you're likely going to end up sending 15 TP Vivian's way.

And I usually do use Tacos, but I'm going to give Wizard Cookies a shot next time around, to see how the Plantoid Killer works in lieu of extra DEF.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Would it be too hard to turn around if engaged, when switching to club, if this is a problem?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
    Would it be too hard to turn around if engaged, when switching to club, if this is a problem?
    This is newby forum, get your crazy ass logic out of here.

Shunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

That makes sense. Neither approach is going to make a noticeable difference, he can do do either. :]

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So, +18mnd vs's +7?MND won't make a difference? Hmk

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Silly Tricen, not everyone owns a Mistilteinn and a Muse Tariqah.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

mythic+1x2 >_>?