BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mandau THF in salvage     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Mandau THF in salvage

Hi, i'm currently leading a new Salvage SP and the SP consist of MNK MNK RDM RDM BRD and a RNG or BLU, we were looking for a THF and a mandau THF wanted to come and all.

But what i wanna know is how much TP will a mandau THF (/nin) will create for the boss with only 2 Mages.

Should i let him TP after 60%, or only WS when he gets TP or what?

Thx

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Just put him in the short bus party and have him stand back almost all of the time (except for on weakened LBC or LAC, since those are easy).

Mandau THF would be fantastic on the lower floors but unless he's in the main party with mage support he's just going to be an MP/TP sponge.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Any melee /nin is going to create a lot of tp if they sit there. SA & TA only, and if sam sub is possible meditate can help a lot.

My groups always had thieves sit back and either use bolts for damage + JAs, or nothing, because one ws in an outside pt and they're hurting a lot.

Yeah just have him run in for SA or TA and MS after the bosses WS. Important to time it right because they do WS alot and extra melees taking AoE isn't needed, except for Discoid.
    Maxed Feint is HUGE plus.

Don't let him use bolts on boss for damage it will just feed the boss ALOT of TP.

2 MNKs on Boss only, every other DD just run in for WS and the like.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Can MNK get more subtle blow in gear than NIN? Cause NIN gets 1 more subtle blow trait then MNK. Or does mnk have a lot more defensive JAs that make NIN kinda pointless?

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen View Post
    Can MNK get more subtle blow in gear than NIN? Cause NIN gets 1 more subtle blow trait then MNK. Or does mnk have a lot more defensive JAs that make NIN kinda pointless?
    Not sure but they both can get a lot, but you also forget that mnk gets penance so for up to 1 min 40 secs, another -25% to the mob in TP and if you have cor or /cor Mnk's roll will do much more with a monk than a nin (provided you only have on of the 2 and not both)

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

dodge, focus, charka, A+ instead of A- skill, mnk being bit better DoT, and penace with two mnks who have full merited is full time super subtle blow +1[it effects everyone giving it tp], or counterstance for those who want to use it, those would be main reasons for mnk over nin.
    edit: dam post thing not showing new post vegetto beat me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah I figured as much. What is NIN good for then? Nothing lol?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

put him in BLM PT and have him accomplice, SA/TA

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Yeah I figured as much. What is NIN good for then? Nothing lol?
    We never use one i know that, xD

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

fully merit/geared nin do as much dmg as MNK, it's just harder @ start since they require weapon/gears/stats to do good dmg

also, I can tank better on MNK than NIN, <3 counterstance

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

If your mandau thf is good you wont have any problems really with giving mobs tp, 2 monks on a monk its going to spam anyway. I used a mandau thf alot in my group while in NiN. Mirax is probably one of the best thf's Ive seen play the job and it was amazing how much quicker it'd help with kills and such on bottom floors. Never used thf's on bosses really except for faint for monk 2 hrs and such, u should have no worries.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fallaci Isalie
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm pretty sure any relic will do good on the first couple floors. Apart from Claustrum and Mjollnir

I can't believe I'm gonna do this but I can see Claustrum having some use because of its potent refresh on it's weapon skill. Wiki says 8mp/tick for 20 seconds at 100 TP which isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm so gonna get flamed for this but whatever.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

I'm a mandau thief and I'd be stupid to be meleeing chariot bosses. Hell sometimes on the NMs I just stand back and let the other DDs whack away at it. My feint is 2 minutes long, so my main job during chariots is Feint every 2 mins and shoot an acid bolt. Between that I am TA'ing / SA'ing for extra damage.

On a farming run, Mandau on a geared thief in the party with a bard is huuuuuuuuuge damage, gears die in seconds with one (so long as there's an opposing melee). Just keep them away from the boss, unless a melee dies in that case get them in on the fight. If they're fighting the boss, make sure to erase them since the only way for them to really get hate aside collaborator on the mages is to SA+WS

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rith Ridan
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Azjol-Nerub

I've always felt NIN generated more TP then MNK does. More of a gut feeling then anything else though since I have no hard proof to back it up. We used a MNK NIN DRK BRD RDM WHM; THF setup in Bhaflau Remnants once and the 4th floor gears were just SPAMMING their TP moves, hardly had time to do an attack motion in between TP moves. Normally we use MNK MNK DRK (or SAM) BRD RDM WHM; THF (BLM) and they definately don't TP _that_ much.

Maybe its Penance or lack thereof which resulted in so much TP spam or if its due to the way MNK delay/dmg is calculated?

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik View Post
    On a farming run, Mandau on a geared thief in the party with a bard is huuuuuuuuuge damage, gears die in seconds with one (so long as there's an opposing melee). Just keep them away from the boss, unless a melee dies in that case get them in on the fight.
    On that note, the few times in Salvage that I've focused on THF (I tend to play BRD+THF if anything) I have a huge problem finding the SA/TA point on gears. I just can't see which way its facing and I end up guessing who is tanking it or waiting till it does a normal attack motion though which rarely happens with 3 DD + THF hitting it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I think MNK gets more subtle+ in equip than NIN. Which still doesn't make sense ._.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Do not forget Feint every Two minutes.. but you dont need to be a mandau THF for that lol.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by rithridan View Post
    On that note, the few times in Salvage that I've focused on THF (I tend to play BRD+THF if anything) I have a huge problem finding the SA/TA point on gears. I just can't see which way its facing and I end up guessing who is tanking it or waiting till it does a normal attack motion though which rarely happens with 3 DD + THF hitting it.
    Yep, I just wait for it to do a melee attack before I SA+WS.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Depending on how well geared your RDMs are, I'd say between 2 RDMs and a BLU, you can get away with having another melee in TP range, we've done it before and sometimes it helps.

But generally, yeah, wiser idea to build TP through acid bolts or something, and stick to TA/SA, since the triple proc can still go off on that.

Or maybe THF/DNC? Ha ha.