Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Citadel Buster

Currently wondering what is the Ideal gear for eating this thing.
    Im hume and have about 1510 HP.
    Right now i macro in:
    Iron Ram Lance
    Coral Scale Mail
    Coral Rings and Earrings.
    I also get about 12 MDB from other gear.

What should i add to this,more HQ, more HP?

I take about 1450 damage from it which is about 200 more then i would like. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks :D

Resentment cape is good. -5% magic damage taken.

HQing will obviously help, but remember -magic caps at 50% including shell.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

i had cape forgot to mention that usually fulltime that and macro in boxers for Shadow casts

IRL + mermans rings + a mermans earring + resentment = 25%, enough to cap MDT with lvl 3 shellra 5. You can take out the earring if your whm has 5/5, or add coral scale mail if they're 1/5. You should always use ethereal as your 2nd earring, that's a really nice chunk of mp.. stack MDB or HP in all other slots. If you're still having problems, use hp food.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

mmk thanks for the info

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Your gear looks to be ok, assuming you have at the least Shell4 on you, though I always recommend Shell5 when possible. If you are approximately at the cap of 50% Magic Damage Reduction, a full strength unresisted CB should still only do about 1200 even taking into account the weather and possible lightsday bonus. This gives you plenty of breathing room with about 300hp to spare. Occasionally you will get the nice resist too, which makes things alot easier.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    IRL + mermans rings + a mermans earring + resentment = 25%, enough to cap MDT with lvl 3 shellra 5. You can take out the earring if your whm has 5/5, or add coral scale mail if they're 1/5. You should always use ethereal as your 2nd earring, that's a really nice chunk of mp.. stack MDB or HP in all other slots. If you're still having problems, use hp food.
    This is exactly what I wear, with MDB then HP in other slots that I can get it, and I've never died to CB except for our first Ultima. (Gotta learn right?)

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Pescatora is fucking win for Ultima in my experiences as RDM tank, haven't done it as PLD yet, but yeah hitting the 25% is fairly easy on PLD, though if you can easily HQ the earrings/rings it may be worth it in case you get a WHM that doesn't have Shellra V up to 25% yet.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

If you can't fit MDB in a spot or you've reached the cap, go for light elemental resist gear. Having a BRD toss on Light Carol helps with this too - make sure they're using a skill build and Crumhorn +1 though to maximize the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    If you can't fit MDB in a spot or you've reached the cap, go for light elemental resist gear. Having a BRD toss on Light Carol helps with this too - make sure they're using a skill build and Crumhorn +1 though to maximize the effect.
    No.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

No? You're saying light elemental damage isn't reduced by light elemental defense?

Or are you saying it counts towards the MDB cap?

I'd put max HP before light resist honestly. For one if you're only sticking it in leftover slots and there's no barlightra spell so you're not going to resist an appreciable amount even with carol. For another, I think the general rule of thumb is that any spell or WS that can one-shot you, you are always going to be better going for the lesser, consistent reduction from damage mitigation than the greater, unreliable reduction from resists.

For CB specifically, you can do this. Take your magic damage taken -% gear, and add up the 256ths bonuses, as a general rule (although not 100%) it's the stated value * 256 rounded down, so 1% = 2, 2% = 5, 4% = 10, 5% = 12, 10% = 25. Add those up and add to shell (S4 is 56, S5 1~5 is 62, 64, 66, 68, and 70), subtract it from 256 and call that T (minimum 128). Take your MDB/100 and add to 1 (so MDB+12 is 1.12), call that your MDB.

Then just do:
    2088/MDB * (T/256)
    2610/MDB * (T/256)
    2818/MDB * (T/256)

The results will tell you within about 15 damage what you'll take from CB normally, with double-weather proc, and with lightsday+double weather proc, respectively, assuming no further buffs like magus roll, dream shroud, or dark weather from SCH. Just make sure that's sufficiently less than your max HP and you're good. You can get slightly more accurate value than that if you floor the first term before multiplying the second, but I can't give you the formula for exact damage because Studio Gobli's wasn't completely correct, and people stopped giving me data to use to figure it out lol (although my suspicion is they are wrong on the base damage multiplier and/or MAB value, and that he has an additional term that doubles previous damage after MAB is calculated).

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    No? You're saying light elemental damage isn't reduced by light elemental defense?

Or are you saying it counts towards the MDB cap?
    Mostly because of the lack of Barlight. You aren't going to get high enough Light resistance to see consistent resists from Carol + gear alone, you're better off getting a consistent 50% reduction then stacking HP everywhere else.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    Mostly because of the lack of Barlight. You aren't going to get high enough Light resistance to see consistent resists from Carol + gear alone, you're better off getting a consistent 50% reduction then stacking HP everywhere else.
    Maybe I'm just used to having an Aegis tank..

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

It really doesn't matter, they're getting the same amount of magic reduction as properly geared non-Aegis tank, and they aren't going to be making up an additional 120~ Light resistance from the 5 extra slots that the Aegis gives them, there just isn't enough gear for that.

The only difference is they can stack a bit more HP and a bit more MDB.

Technically speaking, an Aegis Paladin has less of a chance to resist Citadel Buster, considering you'd be foolish to take it off in lieu of the minuscule amount of Light+ available in the weapon/shield slots.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

My question for the people that are recommending stacking Light Resist and Carol is what kind of damage are the tanks taking? Is the minor amount of Light Resist ever enough to proc at all?

Show me some proof and I'll concede that it might be worthwhile, but seeing how resist works and lacking Barlightra, I can't imagine it working very well.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

It can proc of course, but the likelihood of it proccing is nowhere close to something like Fire/Earth/Ice sets vs. Wyrms. You're going to see much better results out of just aiming for a consistent 50% reduction and keeping enough HP to survive that 50%.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Can add in Iron Ram Head, Hands, Legs and Feet as well to help out. They all have pretty good HP for their slots and +MDB as well(+87HP +12MDB). Avalon Breastplate is great as well, if your LS does Sandworm and Askar Feet were not mentioned.

and having an Aegis and stacking Light gear is fucking stupid. Stack HP and MDB since you are capped on MDT-%. I doubt you could even hit 200 light resist on PLD, so it's pretty worthless and you would have to drop a ton of HP to even try to do so.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

This thread is silly. The way to NOT die to Ultima is to have Fishura stun it when it readies Citadel Buster.