Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Odd icon in Whitegate     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Odd icon in Whitegate

This character has been in Whitegate for a couple days. No one in my LS has seen him move aside from /nodding to someone. Apparently there's another one in Upper Jeuno but my travels haven't brought me near there to see for myself. Does anyone know what the icon represents?

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9...iconju9.th.png

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I can't remember exactly, but its a special icon for media or something. I'll see if I can find it.

Promotion Icon

Square Enix uses this icon for promotional characters or events to promote the game. Characters using this icon are most likely to be on the Atomos server, so the chances of seeing this are minimal; however, this icon has been spotted on standard servers as well.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

think thats a character set up for media purposes (theres a page on pol i think that shows all the icons and what they're for i'll see if i can find it.. no promises)

edit:: beaten

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Ah cool. Thanks guys

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Vucian View Post
    think thats a character set up for media purposes (theres a page on pol i think that shows all the icons and what they're for i'll see if i can find it.. no promises)

edit:: beaten
    think thats a character set up for media purposes
    a character set up for media purposes
    set up for media
    media
    Interesting... SE letting someone in the press have a tour, especially given recent "marathon" events?

Hmmm

I think it's just a showcase character they set up for the game convention they where talking about in the servmes, least that same mithra character in the server kujata said it was live from the game convention >.>.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Veyron Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It's been awhile since I've seen one of those, last time I did I sent them a tell & asked what the Icon was for. They replied it had something to do with an Internet Cafe, but I don't think they spoke English as their first language so whatever it really means may have gotten lost in translation.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Looks like the default favicon for futaba boards >_>

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I kind of laughed at the picture, if you think about it why would SE give someone such gimp equipment as a media tour ? I mean the COR AF is marginal, i'm assuming thats PCC and Snipers so thats pretty decent, but then the belt & back piece ? You think they would load a character with HQ stuff to let whoever they were giving a tour to have a good ol' HQ time. Then again, the words SquareEnix and Intelligent don't always go hand in hand. >_>;

Overall, you're lucky I wish I could see cool stuff like that. The only icon I think I've seen that was pretty cool was the SGM logo. Everyone was shocked it wasn't just a normal GM, then again the SGM didn't do anything anyway...

for those who are wondering the origin of that icon outside of ffxi, it's the new driver emblem for japan.
    http://www.drift-gear.com/jdmwadrbabe.html

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Those media icons are no longer used anymore. SE only used those in the time btwn JP and NA releases. Any press releated demos are given on private servers, alla the kind players use at SE events.

That player is most likey a long time player, chances are 'players', well atleast at one time as they were given to use for whole media networks, but probably one person took it over and continued to use it. SE never deactivated any of their accounts.

We have a long time player with the media icon, Baychin on Rag who I asked all this a few years ago. They were only given lvl1 players too.

So all that gear you see that player with, hes earned, and his choice to wear.

Also, Veyron is correct as well, players who player their accts in certain internet cafes (it was for promotion), would get these special icons.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I just had a thought, do you think it would have been from the Games Convention ? iirc, it was from August 20-24, maybe they're giving people some test runs showing the game off?

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Octavious View Post
    You think they would load a character with HQ stuff to let whoever they were giving a tour to have a good ol' HQ time. Then again, the words SquareEnix and Intelligent don't always go hand in hand. >_>;
    Giving them expensive non-rare/ex stuff would count as "Intelligent" to you? Stuff that could be traded away? You think some random media person would know the difference (or care) if they were wearing a sniper's vs a Bastok starter ring?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Octavious View Post
    I kind of laughed at the picture, if you think about it why would SE give someone such gimp equipment as a media tour ? I mean the COR AF is marginal, i'm assuming thats PCC and Snipers so thats pretty decent, but then the belt & back piece ? You think they would load a character with HQ stuff to let whoever they were giving a tour to have a good ol' HQ time. Then again, the words SquareEnix and Intelligent don't always go hand in hand. >_>;

Overall, you're lucky I wish I could see cool stuff like that. The only icon I think I've seen that was pretty cool was the SGM logo. Everyone was shocked it wasn't just a normal GM, then again the SGM didn't do anything anyway...

I did a battlefield at E3 a few years ago and played the whm, lvl 27 healing skill for the 60 battle...... Neadless to say my curing powers were very underwhelming compared to what i'm used to.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

If I remember right that icon is given to plalyers at Real Vana'diel in japan. I only saw that icon once years ago. Maybe Elmer would know more about it. Here's a link to someone who wrote about it:
    http://tuufless.blogspot.com/2005/07/real-vanadiel.html

http://usatoday.jiwire.com/wi-fi-wir...or-1077818.htm

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Belated response, time-zones, work etc. Apparently it started shouting about some game convention in Lipzieg (sp?) while I was afk during the day so there you are.