Thread: FFXI: Soon on Linux?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

FFXI: Soon on Linux?

Yeah, that's right! If you don't read the windower forums, or keep up with the wine appdb, FFXI has now been upgraded to Bronze status. That means it works.

Apparently someone has gotten it up to near full playability and is working on a guide to get it working on ubuntu. Unfortunately it isn't working with windower right now, but I believe he's working on that as well. Once you get the game working, windower should flow in with it rather easily, as far as I know.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=2739
    http://forums.windower.net/index.php?showtopic=13196

As for me, this is just awesome if it gets full compatability. FFXI was really the only thing keeping me on Windows, and now that this is getting ported, I can finally main Ubuntu.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    Yeah, that's right! If you don't read the windower forums, or keep up with the wine appdb, FFXI has now been upgraded to Bronze status. That means it works.

Apparently someone has gotten it up to near full playability and is working on a guide to get it working on ubuntu. Unfortunately it isn't working with windower right now, but I believe he's working on that as well. Once you get the game working, windower should flow in with it rather easily, as far as I know.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=2739
    http://forums.windower.net/index.php?showtopic=13196

As for me, this is just awesome if it gets full compatability. FFXI was really the only thing keeping me on Windows, and now that this is getting ported, I can finally main Ubuntu.
    This is good news..

although the particular functions that aren't working yet render the game unplayable, it's good to see it's executing now at least.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

EXCELLENT! One more step towards fully purging Windows from my computer.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Once you actually get the game working, tweaking out keyboard differences and emulating little tweaks is very, very easy, as they are the same in every program.

Really, this is the breakthrough that everyone wanted.

Also, the actual Wine dev's are working on it this time. It's not just some lackluster group of FFXI players, we have the big names on it right now, for the first time.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

believe it when i see it, etc etc

some n00b tried to say "I CAN HAS FFXI IN LUNUX" on here before and it was just ps'd screenshots, and he left because he got emo, when i proved he was retarded. this is also coming from Aikar, whos renowned for being an idiot, like i said prove it to me, and ill believe it, otherwise i call full bs

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Killgannon View Post

^

I have 3 Linux boxes sitting around waiting, but for now I call bs.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

some n00b tried to say "I CAN HAS FFXI IN LUNUX" on here before and it was just ps'd screenshots, and he left because he got emo, when i proved he was retarded. this is also coming from Aikar, whos renowned for being an idiot, like i said prove it to me, and ill believe it, otherwise i call full bs
    So download the latest CVS sources and run it. Should be easy for you, Gentoo-head.

With the current CVS sources, you can get in-game and run around at about 5 FPS. The cause of the speed issue is known but not fixed yet, and the keyboard stuff is pretty minor. Even with that stuff unfixed, it's at a sufficient point to prove that it is indeed possible.

I'm guessing this also means we'd be able to run it on macs also?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Macs w/Bootcamp could always run FFXI, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavious View Post
    Macs w/Bootcamp could always run FFXI, iirc.
    Yeah but technically, that is still using windows.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Yeah but technically, that is still using windows.
    True, I'm not aware that it's ever run on a mac, outside bootcamp. That would have been a better response. My apologies.

edit:I would assume there's a few reusable solutions for LINUX issues, but I doubt it would mean mac compatiability as well.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Wine for OS X doesn't have anywhere close to the compatibility that it does on Linux, and you'd need to install a non-Apple X server. For gaming in particular, most of the stuff is unimplemented.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

No.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

funny, that's not how I remember it...I remember posting in-game screenshots.
    http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59752

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I guess you posting your progress then discontinuing to post in the thread made Killgannon think he "proved" you were retarded. I'm also betting he thinks Aikar is "renowned" for being an idiot for something similar. Maybe he didn't update a plugin fast enough?

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

aikar cant code, lies, trojans, hick, etc etc etc

and @zosi, my linux box doesnt even have x... and im not even about to emerge x anytime soon =/, so while it maybe promising, i have a legit copy of vista ultimate x64 on my desktop, and im not about to change anytime soon since i have it all set up real good atm>.>; (oh and 72GB OS HD doesnt allow for a very good dual boot)

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I'm holding off on this until I can use FFXI with SVGALib or GGI.

Out of curiousity, how's the FFXI compatibility with Cedega (the Transgaming thing formerly known as WineX)?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

aoh and 72GB OS HD doesnt allow for a very good dual boot)
    Buh???
    I'm able to run Windows XP and Ubuntu quite well on a 72 GB drive. Vista needs that much room you can't split drives?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Buh???
    I'm able to run Windows XP and Ubuntu quite well on a 72 GB drive. Vista needs that much room you can't split drives?
    I have vista x64 existing comfortably in about 15GB although I had to move the pagefile to another drive. - you could easily fit the whole she-bang in 24GB.

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

meh i installed FFXI on the main drive when i installed it so there it sits in hits like 8GB+ glory WoW i intelligently installed on F:\