+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SLI help     submit to reddit submit to twitter

SLI help

I'm planning on upgrading my computer soon (or at least, some components of it) and I'm wondering if my computer can support SLI. I'm not a complete idiot about computers--I can open it up and install new GPUs/RAM/other hardware, but I don't know how to tell if it can support SLI, and I'm not sure where to look for what motherboard I have installed (it was a prebuilt dell-Not my choice, it was a graduation present, please don't hurt me. ) It was fairly high end when I got it a year ago--Q6600 2.4 GHz Quad Core, NVidia 8800 GTX (768 MB VRAM), 4 GB RAM (2 GB originally, I installed two extra sticks), 500 GB HDD, etc. Vista home premium if it makes a difference (again, not my choice.) It has two identical PCI-E slots next to each other with the graphics card in the top one, which I would assume is a sign that it does support SLI, but I'd rather be certain beforehand--I'd like to avoid frying my computer if at all possible.

Oh, and related question - I've been looking at the SLI connector online, and every single one I've seen costs 80$+. Is this typical for SLI connectors, or can I find one cheaper somewhere?

Thanks BG Tech!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstaru View Post
    I'm planning on upgrading my computer soon (or at least, some components of it) and I'm wondering if my computer can support SLI. I'm not a complete idiot about computers--I can open it up and install new GPUs/RAM/other hardware, but I don't know how to tell if it can support SLI, and I'm not sure where to look for what motherboard I have installed (it was a prebuilt dell-Not my choice, it was a graduation present, please don't hurt me. ) It was fairly high end when I got it a year ago--Q6600 2.4 GHz Quad Core, NVidia 8800 GTX (768 MB VRAM), 4 GB RAM (2 GB originally, I installed two extra sticks), 500 GB HDD, etc. Vista home premium if it makes a difference (again, not my choice.) It has two identical PCI-E slots next to each other with the graphics card in the top one, which I would assume is a sign that it does support SLI, but I'd rather be certain beforehand--I'd like to avoid frying my computer if at all possible.

Oh, and related question - I've been looking at the SLI connector online, and every single one I've seen costs 80$+. Is this typical for SLI connectors, or can I find one cheaper somewhere?

Thanks BG Tech!
    It's easiest for us to tell by posting a model number of the computer or motherboard; if it's prebuilt dell something tells me it's highly unlikely. Just because it has an extra pci-e slot doesn't mean it can support SLI

Also, the SLI motherboards come with the SLI bridge most of the time, hence not requiring to buy them seperately and them costing a lot.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Dells do typically tend to use Nvidia motherboards, some of which support SLI. Pop open your computer, look at the motherboard, and see if you can locate the "SLI certified" symbol somewhere on it.

And yeah, most motherboards come with the SLI bridges, having to buy one separately is expensive, unfortunately.