20 21.98%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

To Donate or Sell, Asking BG Advice

So I've recently decided to sell my old saxophone from grade school / high school and i listed it for $150 yesterday on Craigs List. I got 2-3 inquiries about purchasing it, which isn't the question but it's surprising they came in so fast. I recieved a notice from a teacher at one of the schools in Columbus that runs a music program for children that normally wouldn't be able to purchase instruments. This would obviously be a viable tax deduction, though the itemized deduction wouldn't be that amazing for my tax bracket. I'm at more of a crossroads because while I would like the money, I would also like to know it went to a child who might normally have not been able to experience and learn playing the Sax. There in fact lies the major question, so I figured I would leave it up to BG and check back tonight before I respond to any of these emails.

To Donte or Sell ! GO!

Oh, and feel free to discuss the reasonf or your decision ethics etc.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Donate, unless you really really need the money. Make sure to get a thank you letter or something of sorts for the tax purposes. And when you claim it, how much was that Sax worth? Oh, $300 you say?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Donate, unless you really really need the money. Make sure to get a thank you letter or something of sorts for the tax purposes. And when you claim it, how much was that Sax worth? Oh, $300 you say?
    Yea, they said they provide a noted letter head etc for tax purposes. I purchased the sax for $500 9 years ago and I was only asking $100 for it so I don't really want to lie more on taxes. >_>

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If it were any other instrument I'd say sell it. But since the saxophone is such an awesome instrument when played well, I think it would be best donated to someone that might someday impress a lot of people with it. Although the music programs in schools these days have been declining.

I think due to the decline is more reason to donate it. DONATE! Unless you really need the money. Might make some kid happy.

if you get a solid offer of 300$ take it. otherwise donate it.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Donate and nail them for a $500 deduction, since you paid that for it, obviously.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Fuck kids, sell the shit.

I played the alto saxomophone for a good 8 years and I can tell you there's nothing special about getting one.

I Have The Clap Again
    BG Level

Donate, no real reson why

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Donate.
    As far as the value, unless you were really hard on your saxophone, they don't really depreciate that much. You may take it into a pawn shop or a music store that consigns and see what they'd give you for it for a better idea (Pawn shop will obviously be about half what its worth).

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Therin View Post
    Donate and nail them for a $500 deduction, since you paid that for it, obviously.
    this, and it's not lying, the government does similar things to people every chance they get.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Kids need different ways to express themselves at school.

Due to budget restraints in most school districts, music programs cannot afford well....anything. So donate it, so a kid can actually have some type of fun at school besides the basic academics.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by ferigor View Post
    Donate.
    As far as the value, unless you were really hard on your saxophone, they don't really depreciate that much. You may take it into a pawn shop or a music store that consigns and see what they'd give you for it for a better idea (Pawn shop will obviously be about half what its worth).
    I did this and like two different music stores in my area quoted me at $40 and $60 for it since i purchased it in 1999. It's in very good condition. I've attached an image (sorry if it's huge) of it. For the years I used it, I had maintenance done every year to keep it in good condition and ever since it's been sitting in my closet since i've stopped playing. That's why I figured 100~ seemed fine. I don't really care if it's 100 or 200 if I sold it, I got way more than $500 of use from it and I would love for someone else to enjoy it as much as I have.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Donate that shit, as someone who had to play a fucking hand-me-down saxophone from the school it was pretty cool

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

i had to play a hand-me-down sax also, my cousin played it for 10 years, then gave it to me when i was 10, and I put another 9 years on it. It's a really beaten up instrument with dents all of it and it's scratched up, but it plays wonderfully if you have a good omniture.

The only reason why I can see they appraised it at 40 and 60 was because of possibly it's brand. Since different brands make different quality instruments, but I'm not familiar with who makes good instruments anymore. It looks beautiful, though my favorite ones were the ones with like, black laquer coating, those looked so cool.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Sell it.

Mainly because I'm an asshole this morning.

Not to mention the kid that will inevitably get it has no bills to pay whatsoever. Well maybe besides begging his Dad to pay his Iphone bills.

I think you could sell it. If you already have offers and $150 isn't that much money, I'm sure the programs wouldn't mind spending a little cash for it. I don't think anyone is gonna call you an asshole for selling your Sax for cheap. Nothing wrong with selling it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

As someone who benefited from a music program in middle and highschool, I say donate it. Make sure you claim that on your taxes at what you paid for it - depreciation. Someone will love it and take care of it and you'll be letting someone experience music.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Sqwunk View Post
    i had to play a hand-me-down sax also, my cousin played it for 10 years, then gave it to me when i was 10, and I put another 9 years on it. It's a really beaten up instrument with dents all of it and it's scratched up, but it plays wonderfully if you have a good omniture.

The only reason why I can see they appraised it at 40 and 60 was because of possibly it's brand. Since different brands make different quality instruments, but I'm not familiar with who makes good instruments anymore. It looks beautiful, though my favorite ones were the ones with like, black laquer coating, those looked so cool.
    Yea, it's a Jean Baptiste (sp?). Nothing is broken on it or would need repairs. The only thing I could think of would be getting the pads checked to make sure they don't need oiled or something, since i'm sure not playing it for awhile might have left the leather on them slightly dry. Other than that since I took good care of it it's got no dents/scratches. I always wanted to go and purchase a more expensive Sax to learn more advanced styles, but baseball ended up taking all my time from ever doing Concert Band. That and the eventual interest in playing Guitar took over, which resulted in the closeting of my Sax.

And Rocl just got so much cooler since he played the Sax, :3 I don't know if the forums can withhold his awesomeness much longer.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

"Played" is a funny word. I managed to make noises which resembled music