+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

Laptop bridge for Xbox 360.

Considering I don't have a wireless adapter for my 360, and I don't have access to cable just yet, I want to see if anyone could recommend either software or a tutorial on doing the bridge, although I probably won't be able to connect due to the wireless campus internet being password protected and firewalled.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You need to turn on Internet Connection Sharing in your wireless properties on your laptop. Then you plug cable from laptop to xbox and as long as your laptop is on it should work.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

Well hell, I need to try that then >_>. If that works, its going to be a snap assuming you don't need a cross patch cable?

Works quite well for the network being on 802.11a. Thanks for showing me that.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

This will work, I have my 360 set up with a similar system. You don't need a crossover cable, just some regular ethernet with CAT-5 connectors will do fine.

Oh yeah, and if you are having difficulty getting media sharing to work on your 360 - ie. watching movies and listening to music from your laptop on your console - make sure you have the network connection between your laptop and 360 set as a "Private" network, not a public one. Windows Vista disables media sharing on "Public" networks, and you will have to manually change it from public to private each time you restart your 360.

The video playback on the 360 for computer media is pretty nice actually. I use it all the time to watch downloaded TV shows and movies without having to use my TV as a secondary monitor. It's just nice to be able to use your 360 wireless controller to do everything, instead of walking over to your laptop - plus you get to use your TV's speakers.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

yea i have my 360 bridged with my laptop for wireless. basically go into your Network Connections and then highlight both the LAN and Wireless network connection and then right click on Wireless network connection and click "Bridge Connection" ^^

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by Reeno View Post
    yea i have my 360 bridged with my laptop for wireless. basically go into your Network Connections and then highlight both the LAN and Wireless network connection and then right click on Wireless network connection and click "Bridge Connection" ^^
    If you are running Vista you don't have to set up a full bridge. Just enable Internet Sharing and you will be fine. I did try fiddling with an actual bridge connection and I couldn't get it work, but I don't really know much about networking.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Elesirdur View Post
    If you are running Vista you don't have to set up a full bridge. Just enable Internet Sharing and you will be fine. I did try fiddling with an actual bridge connection and I couldn't get it work, but I don't really know much about networking.
    it worked for me the first time, playing 360 right now atm from my laptop :]

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Ah cool, glad to know that it can be made to work for those who would require a bridge solution instead of just internet sharing protocols.