Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me decide between these relic weapons

Greetings folks. I've been essentially a full time lurker on these boards for years. I've hardly ever posted but tonight I'm going to break that trend and try to get some opinions. I'm having a hard time deciding between several relic options and hoping I can get some info from people.

First, some background so you know this isn't a waste of your time. I've been playing this game since the day it came of the NA PC release. I've put lots of time into most aspects of the game, having leveled two different crafts to 103 over the years, obtained most of the gear I ever wanted for all my jobs, and (most importantly) having a good time. I've been in the same HNMLS for years and have been friends with scores of people on my server for just as long. I am very active in both new and old content as my LS does pretty much everything from Odin kills every other week to sky, sea, Ixion, etc.

The last few months I have really wanted to upgrade a relic weapon. It feels like one of the only milestones I haven't reached yet (except Maat's cap, but I'm not really interested in pursuing that one.) I have had some amazing luck in the past few weeks. The FFXI gods have been very kind, dropping in my lap not only Dusk gloves +1 but also a cursed Dalmatica -1 within 24 hours of each other. Having sold these items as well as a variety of other big ticket "luxury" items that I found myself seldom using- along with having saved up a decent amount of gil to get started even before these things happened- I find myself in the position to make a run for a relic.

The problem I have is deciding which one to get.

Now, I know a lot of the answers I get here are just going to be "just get the one for the job you like most" or "It doesn't matter how good it is, pick the one you will enjoy the most." The simple fact is I have selected four that I like equally and I really can't narrow it down any further. I can't simply pick "the one I like" or the one for the job I enjoy the most because I honestly would be immenseley satisfied with any of these four.

What I'm really looking for in this thread is some feedback from people that own these items or are intimately aquainted with them and can offer some commentary on how good they are. I know, theoretically, they are all pretty good but I always hear things like "Martial Bhuj is better than Relic GA" etc, etc, and I want to get some info from people that actually play with these items on which to base my decision.

First, here are my jobs: RDM, BLM, THF, NIN, almost RNG.

I enjoy the melee jobs more but my character is Taru. Take that as you wish. Currently my RNG is not 75 but it is my project. I really enjoy leveling it and it's the one job I've wanted to play since day 1 but never managed to find the time to level. Here are the pro's and con's for each relic as far as I'm concerned.

Katana
    + Doesn't require a lot of Jadeshells, which are scarce and overpriced on my server
    - I don't get to play NIN all that often because my LS uses PLD to tank everything nowadays. Thus, not sure how much action it would see.

Dagger
    + At this moment I would probably say THF is my favorite 75 job
    + My THF is nicely pimped out. I tend to outparse 75% of other melee when I'm paying close attention and going all out, despite racial shortcomings.
    - My LS doesn't use THF's as DD all that much. I fear being relegated to offhanding thief's Knife, hitting stuff once or twice "to get TH on" and sitting out the rest of the fight.

Bow
    + Seems to be a pretty kickass piece. Two of my friends have this and they love them.
    + My LS uses RNG heavily for DD on all sorts of things such as Dynamis Lord, Ixion, KV, the list goes on and on. It would get lots of use.
    + I've always wanted to play RNG and having this would probably allow me to play it a whole lot.
    - My RNG isn't 75. It could be with a week or two's effort but as of now it isn't.
    - RNG not being 75 means I have no end game RNG gear. I guess it might be kind of silly to have the relic and none of the other good stuff i.e. AF2, etx.

GUN
    + Once again, minimal number of jadeshells needed which is a huge plus on my server (most servers I think)
    + Once again, RNG is used a lot in my LS so it would get lots of use
    - I keep hearing people say "gun sucks" but I've not heard why. Is there some glaring problem I am missing out on?
    - I know guns do lots of damage but I've also seen the numbers my friends put out with their relic bows. Is gun going to perform significantly higher/lower than a bow or is it all really the same? I dunno...

Sorry if this thread is not the sort of thing that belongs here. I'm just turning this over in my head all day long and need to open it up for some objective opinions. I wanted to appeal to a large group of people that may have actually put these weapons to use and can tell me a bit abou the performance to expect.

Thanks in advance!

katana and dagger are for merit epeen

BOW and GUN are for usefulness

I believe bow out does gun though because its ws has a better latent not sure really tbh.

Could just level pld and get aegis or level brd and get gjal. They are probably single handedly the two most useful relics imo

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

You seemed to mention some things about how your relic might be used in "HNM" situations but what about all the small on the side stuff? BCNM's, KSNM's, Salvage, Assaults, Einherjar etc. I would take those into consideration also when selecting a relic weapon.

Also it seems you've pretty much narrowed it down to Dagger, Gun, Bow. Some things I might add if you have'nt thought about them yet. You could use Dagger also on RDM if you ever had the desire for Melee RDM pending you got that urge. Bow would also be useful if you ever got the desire to level up SAM to 75 too. I've also seen some nasty Triple Proc Screenshots of the Bow tearing up DL w/ a 9k Barrage. That shit was pretty impressive. However since Bow's tend to benefit from higher STR values your Taru may be lacking that area. I know a lot of people are impressed by Coronach's ENM down effect, and also the mods would be a little bit more suited for a Taru (Dex/AGI). However with both the Gun and Bow you are forever going to be buying ammo so overall the price of those weapons will be more than the Dagger in the end.

Personally I would go with the Bow. But I guess thats because I'm partial being both a 75 SAM and 75 RNG. Even though you might not have the gear atm I never found it particularly difficult to gear up my RNG. And if you can afford a relic weapon you can afford to buy as necessary the STR items, a Kirin's Osode, and then run some Salvage, Dynamis, Limbus whatever as necessary. Unless you are buying all your currency overnight (not likely) you've still got a bit to grow into RNG and prep it for that sweet sweet Yoichinoyumi.

I do, in fact, have an osode from NIN. I guess a fair bit on my THF or NIN gear crosses over to RNG now that I take a closer look. Triumph earring, Osode, pahluwan body, etc.

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

May or may not be relevent to your choice between gun and bow...

But there is a hidden effect on the Bow WS "Namas Arrow" - it has a static amount of enmity (if you read the enmity testing stuff it's static 160 CE). In layman's terms, no matter what your WS damage is, the mob acts like it just did ~100 damage. So you can break off 1000+ Namas Arrows on the pull and have someone take it right off you, etc. It's less hate than Dispel.

This is different from the Gun WS "Coronach", which grants a - enmity down status effect after use (similar to Dirge). I don't know how much this is since it's untested at this point.

Bow is quite a bit more popular.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Ha Stinky didn't realize it was you that made this post. Stack was asking me to borrow Currency for his Yoichi earlier, and I was just asking what relic weapons everyone in your LS were working on earlier. Did he get Yoichi today?

Honestly with the access/availability you guys seem to have in your LS, I would definitely go with Bow. Pick up a Bucaneer's Belt from Einherjar, AF+1 your hat, and you are halfway geared. I'm sure you would pick up Scout's Braccae, and Scout's Socks or something from Salvage that you wanted rather quickly.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I say bow, cuz relic gun is just hella annoying. if you ever been in rng burn pt with one you'll know why.

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    I say bow, cuz relic gun is just hella annoying. if you ever been in rng burn pt with one you'll know why.
    I haven't, but that's exactly the kinda thing I'm hoping to learn here. Why?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Jumpin' on the bow bandwagon, and it looks hawt, too.

Are you Stinky from Siren? I didn't know we had so many relic bows >.>

Nah, I'm Ramuh. there's another one? lol

Gave 5$ to bg and all I could think of was this lousy title.
    -____-

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    First, here are my jobs: RDM, BLM, THF, NIN, almost RNG.
    How about Excalibur? RDMs can wear that.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I don't think RDM's Sword skill is high enough to justify getting a relic just for that job, unless he plans on leveling Paladin. *shrug*

I'd say Bow or Dagger.

x

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    Nah, I'm Ramuh. there's another one? lol
    Yeah there's a Stinky taru on Siren. Thought it was you. @_@ Guess not huh! Well, he's pretty cool too. But I think he's mostly a SMN...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Claustrum.

But seriously:
    If you're looking for the "best" Relic, then those are somewhat commonly seen to be Apoc, Aegis, Gjallarhorn. If you're going for a relic you need to consider what you want the most, if it is the strongest relic then leveling DRK and upgrading an Apoc is not a bad idea, it is ridiculously strong. However since you seem to really enjoy THF a lot, maybe that is what you should go for. Mercy Stroke is a beast, and a good Relic THF can keep up in damage with just about anything.

My only advice for you is DO NOT UPGRADE KIKOKU.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Well, I don't think it's about picking a relic weapon. It's more about picking a job.
    You don't want to spend tons of money for a weapon if you're not using this weapon 75% of the time you play, so basically, you're choosing what job you will use most of the time, what job you're gonna idle on, what job you're gonna do ls events with, what job you will be using for KS, Assaults, Nyzul etc etc...

I think Dagger and Katana are more versatile than Bow/Gun.
    Maybe they are less pure damage, but there are many things you can do on Thf or Nin that you can't do on Rng ( solo/trio etc...)

If you are more the independent type of player, you should go for Nin or Thf relic.
    If you aren't doing anything without having a whole group of 10 players around you, then the Rng relic might be a better choice.

Really depends of your profile and way to do things.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Im almost done with Kikoku. Before upgrading I tought about doing GK or something else maybe. Just because 2hs are so ridiculus now.

But Nin is my job of heart. I´ll defend my choice to anyone. I love solo, duo, lowman things. I also love DD tanking shit most other NINs cannot. I just love the job. So I´ll try to make it into the best possible.

Starting bow before you are 75 may be a bit risky. Its a nice weapon but will it bring you fun for a long time?

Bow and level SAM after :D

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

As a Yoichi owner, I can tell you that if you decide on a Ranged Relic, you most likely won't 'regret' choosing one or the other. The only thing that could make you wish you went with Bow instead of Gun is if you leveled Sam, and want to EXP with it.

If you're considering getting a certain Ranged Relic because of their respective weaponskill, don't. 90% of the time you won't use either WS, and just stick with Slugwinder. When I'm fighting Ixion, I pull hate often, but all that happens is I get hit once, and it goes back to the tank. If I want to (or rather, if others tell me to...), I'll use Namas for a couple rounds, I'll still do decent damage and won't pull hate. If you're using Gun with that fight, all you really need to do is use one Coronach, but like I said, you won't have hate for long if you choose not to use Coronach.

In a perfect zerg situation, Gun should outperform Bow. However, I'm not sure how many shells give their Rngs Double Minuets, Drk Roll, Angon, Dia 3, etc...Cuz I know all I get is Double Minuets lol. Gun and Bow damage will even out in the end, but depending on what you do more one -could- be "better" than the other. Ultimately I went with Bow because I have Sam leveled also, but if I didn't have Sam I'd have went with Gun no doubt due to the lower cost.

Personally if I was starting one now, I'd collect currency but wouldn't upgrade. (Currency is sligthly risk too with the dynamis entry free dropping 50%) There are so many changes coming in the next update that might affect your decision.

I'm looking at you, Kikoku! Come on SE give me that base damage boost in next update!!!