BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 130 of 154 FirstFirst ... 80 120 128 129 130 131 132 140 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me those .dats!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

The effects in game look pretty snazzy, but it kinda looks like a boomerang....

Awesome job though!

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    The texture size was clearly increased, so it would be more beneficial to redo the texture in the shape and scale of the actual blade (the texture seems to be rectangular at present) such that it doesn't get bent if you want the inscription to look accurate. At present, the writing gets stretched more towards the tip, which would be avoidable by reprojecting. There are some other texturing problems, but most of them stem from the background rather than the gilding. I'm pretty mediocre when it comes to foreign alphabets, but I think that's Thai?
    yea rather than starting the texture map from scratch I just modified the existing map a bit. It stretches the last 1 1/2 letters and the gems aren't exactly perfect but saved me a few hours work. I'll likely clean it up a bit eventually, for now was more interested in seeing how the effects worked together.

The letters are sanskrit, isn't a real translation, just transliterated the letters, but the hume one says guardian of Nashmeira, the taru one says Jimbobsonofgod

Insert witty title here
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

The effect on hit looks amazing. :Q

Thank you sooooooooooooooo much Godly! I'll try them out ASAP!

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

gtt would you happen to have the raw text available for the sanskrit? I've been working on revising the texture for your weapon but masking all of that makes me want to cry a little.

Editedit: Arabic script would probably be more accurate to the type of sword it is, which I can read/write well enough to do myself if that's acceptable.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I sure don't, I can rewrite it, but don't recall the exact font I used.
    As far as the language, I was a bit torn on what would be appropriate, since the handle is clearly from a shamshir, which would make persian script the way to go, but the blade, with the section across from the hilt being unsharpened, would make it a talwar which would make sanskrit or hindi more appropriate.

I guess either would be fine, the text I wanted on there is Guardian of Nashmeira if you wanted to use a different script, or if you wanted the same script it is गुअर्दिअन ओफ़् णश्मेइर

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If it helps any here is the sword I used for the wootz. I'll spoiler it for size.
    Spoiler: show

(Of course you'll need to desaturate it a bit and change brightness to make it show up as grey ingame)

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Looks a bit weird due to the non-availability of Ortho mode in any sort of model viewer which renders the textures correctly, but this is more or less what I've been going for. Material of the grip was changed to ivory, battered gold remained in place, although the backdrop of the hilt was changed to a black enamel. I used a technique in photoshop to recreate something similar to what a real damascus pattern would have looked like, albiet larger for visibility's sake. If this looks good I'll need to do a bit more work to prevent the text from getting reversed on the other side of the blade and I'm not sure how many bricks VRS is going to shit trying to run this through there, but I'll find out when it comes to that I suppose. Part of the brilliance of real damascus steel is that only the lighter parts reflect light, causing an appearance of it being banded with silver. Using a good alpha map as well as the correct material attachment, I think this should be possible.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

does anyone have a link/list of a more recent model viewer file? i have an altanaview of december but my mv is like a year out of date..

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Since SE must account for players who may not have certain expansions installed, mobs are sometimes duplicated across directories. One such one is 1/156/17.DAT. If that is not the one you are looking for, the diremite model should always be 464,752 bytes, which will help you find them anywhere else they might be hiding.

Ragnalibur related (no peeking til you finish yours noodles)

Mithra! Please, please, pretty please?

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Read this: http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/629...57#post5468157
    and download the associated zip file. All the tools you need should be in there, just need to use GC3 to change the texture (above) into a .dds file. Once done, use Model Viewer's DAT to MQO button to export the Ragnarok model. This will create 4 files, ragnarok.mqo, ragnarok.mcd, ragnarok0.bmp, and ragnarok0.dds. Use the previously created .dds file with the new texture to overwrite ragnarok0.dds, then go to the File menu in Model Viewer and select MQO to DAT and pick ragnarok.mqo. After acknowledging the subsequent prompt, your Ragnarok will be all shiny and Excalibury.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Looks a bit weird due to the non-availability of Ortho mode in any sort of model viewer which renders the textures correctly, but this is more or less what I've been going for. Material of the grip was changed to ivory, battered gold remained in place, although the backdrop of the hilt was changed to a black enamel. I used a technique in photoshop to recreate something similar to what a real damascus pattern would have looked like, albiet larger for visibility's sake. If this looks good I'll need to do a bit more work to prevent the text from getting reversed on the other side of the blade and I'm not sure how many bricks VRS is going to shit trying to run this through there, but I'll find out when it comes to that I suppose. Part of the brilliance of real damascus steel is that only the lighter parts reflect light, causing an appearance of it being banded with silver. Using a good alpha map as well as the correct material attachment, I think this should be possible.

Doubling the dat in vrs to make both sides different shouldn't be too bad.
    I like the new lettering style and the exaggerated wootz/damascus. For me the blade is too dark and the sharpened section too light though. Hard to tell outside of game though model viewers never get it quite right. You might also have an issue in game of the enamel black being too dark/shiny and sticking out like a sore thumb.

Looking at both of the scripts, I still like the Sanskrit since it's more blocky and prominent, It's sweet that you did both though, so folks can have a choice.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'm about to head out the door to go running, but I'll upload a copy of this alpha for you to look at before I do; check your pms. Also, the edge isn't actually that shiny, it's a result of the lighting and the pattern extends into the edge.

Edit: Just going to leave this here

Blue Annihilator and Shield

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

1. Flat shading
    2. Blue
    3. Comic Sans

It's like a well-crafted attack designed for the express purpose of causing me to go blind. Magnificent.

On a more serious note, the key reason it looks off is because gray/silver is not a complementary color of blue like gold is, along with the usage of tones which aren't found in other gear in the game; this is mostly related to saturation values. For example, if you were to browse through model viewer you'd notice that blue-bladed weapons are nearly always paired with gold for the metal and brown for the leather. If you're still intent on pairing blue with gray however, it would need to be a much darker shade approaching black such as that found on Ridill. The flat-shading can also be fixed at this point by using the Match Color feature of Photoshop followed by adjusting color balance until it looks right. Nothing to be done about the comic sans though.

There's a lot that can be done with the Comic Sans, because it's not that font. The font is called Torid, and besides I don't see anywhere me asking for an opinion on the font I use.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

You're on BG using a Comic Sans-like font, you're going to get commented on.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

This would be the point where I make a comic sans chocobo to lighten the mood.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Mooshy, fixed Wardrobe for ya posted a few days ago:
    http://www.elitemmonetwork.com/forum...s&showfile=143

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Font or not, I agree about the coloring - muted colors look much better in FFXI. It's not an overly-saturated world. If the blues were a bit toned down those would both look very nice.