+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Should Churches that Push Politics Remain Tax Exempt?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4424757.shtml

The above story outlines a legal movement to push many churches in Arizona and across the nation to tell their members whom to vote for, in an attempt to challenge and ultimately overturn the law prohibiting churches from interfering in politics, else fear loss of tax exemption.

Thoughts?

Personally I dont agree with churches being tax exempt in the first place, as their spending isnt regulated. However direct political involvement should be an immediate ban from the exemption (and requirement to pay back taxes Q.Q).

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

damn religious ppl always pisses me off

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I don't think churches should be exempt in any form or fashion either. What's this? churches brainwashing people into what to believe? Preposterous I say!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I don't think it's something churches should be getting directly involved in anyway. If the moral compass from your religion lines up with that of a candidate, fine, but there's no reason to turn churches into political soapboxes.

Tax exempt status for churches, IMO, is fine provided that they're operating in a manner befitting a non-profit organization. Not that secular non-profits are always a great role model either...but if the Red Cross isn't getting taxed, then a church sending food/medical relief/etc along with Bibles shouldn't really be either.

IMO, combining church and state tends to lead to problems. In an ideal world, from a religious standpoint, it shouldn't...but we don't live in an ideal world, and religious views differ.

What really gets me about this is that they are deliberately breaking the law unnecessarily. If a church or other tax exempt organization wants to endorse a political candidate, they can just create another legal entity to do so and protect their tax exempt status. Folks, it isn't that expensive to incorporate, under $1,000 in just about every state.

Maybe they should read Romans 13 again. Especially verse 7. "...If you owe taxes, pay taxes..." (NIV)

Old Merits
    BG Level

More Taxes! More Taxes! More Taxes!

you guys crack me up

Atlasion

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    Personally I dont agree with churches being tax exempt in the first place, as their spending isnt regulated. However direct political involvement should be an immediate ban from the exemption (and requirement to pay back taxes Q.Q).
    I completly agree with this.

I'm pretty sure its the same in the UK. Churches are exempt from tax on money donated to them.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    More Taxes! More Taxes! More Taxes!

you guys crack me up
    So you're saying it's OK for churches to violate the terms of their tax exemption and go unpunished? I guess "law and order" only applies when someone's favorite religion isn't involved.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    I completely missed the point of the article. I didn't even read it!
    Egon cracks me up.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think that

A) Churches that push a political agenda shouldn't be tax exempt
    B) Churches that operate with significant profit shouldn't be tax exempt

Basically, the abuse of faith should be taxed.

Law and Order is a TV show right

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

My only thing is that the churches that run outreach programs with their donations (which a lot of churches do not just Catholic) that they receive through tithing I don't think should be taxed if and only if they can account via they're accountant and documentation how every single penny was spent.

btw, if the candidates get behind this at all, look for mccain to get another boost

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

It's a 2-way street. Obama and McCain had a recent debate (discussion) inside of a church. What do you expect?

i expect that obama would support this legislation and mccain would call it an attack on religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphirea View Post
    My only thing is that the churches that run outreach programs with their donations (which a lot of churches do not just Catholic) that they receive through tithing I don't think should be taxed if and only if they can account via they're accountant and documentation how every single penny was spent.
    That is one of my problems, they remain tax exempt under the premise that they are charitible organizations, while there is really no accounting for the percantages given back to their community, if any amount IS being given back.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxthepenguin View Post
    I think that

A) Churches that push a political agenda shouldn't be tax exempt
    B) Churches that operate with significant profit shouldn't be tax exempt

Basically, the abuse of faith should be taxed.

^

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Well, my church and mind you this is so small in the grand scheme of things, the accounting records are public record here. We can view it and see it and question it at anytime...

Granted I know in the large scheme of things this is probably so much in the minority of how organizations are ran I can understand why people would be upset at this.

I don't view this as an attack on religion, I don't see why churches are not held accountable for their actions, especially when it comes to money via donations. I know a lot other tax exempt organizations (local fire departments) have to have everything viewable by the public.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Saphirea View Post
    The cleaner way to do this, in my opinion, would be to have a separate legal (and financial) entity for charity programs. However, the current laws favor trying to lump as much of your operation as possible under the tax-exemption umbrella, and making a seperate legal entity for political action. I completely agree with your sentiment, that only the actual charitable work should be tax-exempt, and that there should be a clear division (on the financial side) between the two.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    It's a 2-way street. Obama and McCain had a recent debate (discussion) inside of a church. What do you expect?
    They may have just been using the facility. In some areas, that might be the best venue in terms of seating capacity/parking/whatever. Or the best that's available.

The article is talking more about pastors getting up and telling their congregations to vote for a particular candidate. That's more than renting out the building.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast