BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Nickb View Post
    are you sure your giving yourself the right amount of points and not making an error like giving yourself 4 points for opening a lvl 3 when it's only 3 points?
    It would seem you're making some errors in your math as well. No matter what level skill chain you open, you will only get 1 (one) WS point for being the opener. Opening a skill chain is no different than soloing a weapon skill. The only case you would get 3 points for opening a level 3 skill chain is if your opening weapon skill closed a level 2 skill chain first.

To reiterate because it seems it can't be said enough:

Solo weapon skill / open skill chain: 1 point
    Close level 1 skill chain: 2 points
    Close level 2 skill chain: 3 points
    Close level 3 skill chain: 5 points

If a weapon skill qualifies as both an opener and a closer, closer points are only awarded.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tahngarthor View Post
    what does "ps2 limitations" have to do with anything being talked about here?
    I am guessing that Sholin plays FFXI on a PS2 and the picture on page 32 is not evidence of him using a 3rd party app as Nickb thought.

Atma Weapon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zadora Madruk
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Edit: Nevermind, im not sure what they mean either ;x

too bad they didnt change it so that opening and closing gave 5 points, but maybe its not possible in the system. That way two people can break at same rate.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Shufflesx View Post
    too bad they didnt change it so that opening and closing gave 5 points, but maybe its not possible in the system. That way two people can break at same rate.
    I don't think it would be possible in any simple fashion. There's no way for the system to predict that your weapon skill will open a skill chain.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Each partner takes a slight hit, and they alternate back and forth opening and closing, so that they both finish at the same time (At the worst, one weapons skill apart, assuming no errors). This causes it to take a little longer for each member, but overall for both it will take the least total time assuming they both plan to stick it out.

Yay teamwork!

Edit: If you mean being in the middle of a three weaponskill skillchain, I am just happy they use the closing value for the second weaponskill, instead of the opening value it could have gotten instead.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
    I don't think it would be possible in any simple fashion. There's no way for the system to predict that your weapon skill will open a skill chain.
    Sure there is. Same way the system calculates if your ws qualifies to close a skillchain. Not to say that they would make that change, but it wouldn't be hard. Just don't add the points to the weapon till the window of opportunity to close a skillchain has passed.

Edit: If you mean being in the middle of a three weaponskill skillchain, I am just happy they use the closing value for the second weaponskill, instead of the opening value it could have gotten instead.
    You should be thinking of it like this:
    You get 1 point for any weapon skill.
    IF that wepon skill completes a skill chain, you get 1 bonus point for each element of the skillchain effect: 1 for lv1 chain, 2 for lv2 chains, and 4 for light/darkness. Each WS is considered individually, as we said it cant predict that you're going to open, so it can use "the opening value it oculd have gotten instead."

As Yoda once said: There is only close, and do not close. There is no open."

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Finally got Drakesbane @3525 points. Floor 40 disc. :3

congrats, and darnit other peopel got it at 2800. depression ensues.

so now we have people that prove the 10k pattern and we have people that disprove it.

wth

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Nickb View Post
    Anyhow, I wanted to say posting a screenshot of yourself using an 3rd pt program is absolutely brilliant! If some app hater that plays on ps2 and reads these threads reports you, you get caught and suspended or banned please don't come in here whining and blaming other ppl like the guy who couldn't get a nyzul static or clean his weapon cuz he was too busy complaining about the requirements.
    [99%offtopic]Good thing SE doesn't accept screenshots as evidence/proof for anything.[/99%offtopic]

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

congrats, and darnit other peopel got it at 2800. depression ensues.

so now we have people that prove the 10k pattern and we have people that disprove it.

wth
    Thanks^^
    If this could help, I forgot to add that I got the exact amount of points using the tool that's been posted on this thread.

We wear wine red on Wednesdays

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Marius Krieg
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Could it have anything to do with the floor you actually got the weapon on? In regard to what the GM said.

Particularly annoyed about the SAM part. I got my windslicer on floor 20 off Behemoth. Hoping I don't have to do x20585 points because of that.

Has anyone figured out how to get weapon checker to work on an x64 system?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Kadaj View Post
    Could it have anything to do with the floor you actually got the weapon on? In regard to what the GM said.

Particularly annoyed about the SAM part. I got my windslicer on floor 20 off Behemoth. Hoping I don't have to do x20585 points because of that.
    I don't think that the floor you get the weapon on matters. If this was the case, then the people who farmed 100s and got a weapon there, but did not obtain the runic key, would have gotten the WSs extremely quickly.

It's possible. The whole way this system works seems to be designed to attenpt to hide the exact formula used to dertermine when a weapon unlocks the WS.

It's probably some formula using total points obtained and floor progression. People seem to have somewhat found the general pattern, but I wonder the code uses a forumla, instead of a lookup table to generate its results...

actually there is more to this general pattern we have people with points that contradict others, but I am going to keep going if it kills me to find out what it is.

6500 so far floor 10
    rank corp.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

actually there is more to this general pattern we have people with points that contradict others, but I am going to keep going if it kills me to find out what it is.

6500 so far floor 10
    rank corp.
    Well, I'm wondering if the server update lag might have something to do with the number of points being reported changing a bit. I would assume though that the numbers reported wouldn't be much more than 100 off or so. Could also be related to assault rank, and it could possibly (but I'd consider it pretty stupid) have something to do with what floor the weapon was found on.

Either way, the points requirements seem a little harsh for my tastes. Once you get below floor 60, the comparable time requirements to unlock the WSs are so much more performing the WSs instead of just clearing floors. It is quite possible that this was deliberate though. Possibly the devs wanted people to really get to floor 100, but, in the event that just wasn't possible, they decided to give a harsh alternate choice. /shrug

but in that case they really shouldnt have punished the people that got to 100 but couldnt store their disk because of SE's stupid design of nyzul island in teh first place.

they should have put something in place for them. but one day SE will learn we dont want this type of time think, they take what we think would be acceptable and multiply it by 5.

imo, nyzul island as it is now, is how it should have been on day one.

oh edit, i do notice in past that program will not update at all until i zone, even after hours and hours.

and people say there is no "beating" a mmo, well when I get my ws, I will consider this beating the game.

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by shukuffxi View Post
    For all those people who have like 6k points and it's not unlocking, I know this is the equivalent of a "Is the power cord plugged in" question, but did you remember to touch the lamp before you started Floor 0 to get your Runic Key? I'm sure there are a few who won't post, but actually forgot to.
    This is actually one of the more sensible suggestions. Someone who doesn't have a runic disc but has a weapon (if that person exists) should see if you can trigger the quest from the BLU or if the runic disc is a prereq.

(apologies if this has been done, missed some pages in the middle)

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

6500 so far floor 10
    rank corp.
    I think we should start to look a bit more closely at what's going on. Shufflesx, on what floor did you obtain your weapon, and have you advanced any floors in increments of 5 ever since obtaining it? For those who have already broken their weapon and have not used it since, could you please use the program to verify your points vs the floor you were at when it broke?