The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

NFL Week 2...The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning

Week 1 has come and gone, mostly gone...In a single week we've seen the end of the patriots era of dominance, the beginning of the end of the Seahawks and Holmgren era, and the end to one of the best defensive players in the league. But fear not, because with the end becomes new beginnings, the era of Matt Cassel, Matt Forte, and enter Eddie Royal. The face of the entire NFL has shaken, the AFC is wide open, clear preseason superbowl favorites are no longer clear. Let's check out the knee-jerk reactions with our week 2 picks!

Chicago @ Carolina - Chicago defense continues to roll right past the panthers, who I think caught a little lightning in a bottle last week.

Buffalo @ Jacksonville - 1st intriguing matchup. Buffalo now possibly favored to win the division and jacksonville favored by some to win theirs and go to the superbowl. Jax could possibly go to 0-2, which is hard to believe with their talent. I'm still taking buffalo.

Oakland @ Kansas City - Who cares? Oakland for the hell of it.

Indianapolis @ Minnesota - Manning improves and Jackson...doesn't. Minnesota showed a weakness in the secondary. Manning will eat that shit up for breakfast.

New Orleans @ Washington - Just not a big campbell fan. Huge Brees fan who I think will have possibly a career year, which is hard to fathom because every year for him is ungodly.

New York Giants @ St. Louis - G-men roll in a route.

Green Bay @ Detroit - Going to go with detroit here. Green Bay showed a great defense last week against...Tavaris Jackson. Many more offensive weapons in detroit, who may be riding the confidence high right along with Rodgers. This is a foolish pick I know, but we'll see how it develops.

Tennessee @ Cincinatti - I'm hesitant with this pick, the team may be out of focus with the Young controversy. But Cinci has shown signs of being terrible on both sides of the ball despite possibly having one of the best 1-2 WR > QB combos in the league.

San Francisco @ Seattle - Too banged up at Seattle. I think the 49ers are possibly a playoff team.

Atlanta @ Tampa Bay - Garcia is a bit hurt, and Atlanta played well. I'll jump on the bandwagon for a week.

Miami @ Arizona - I feel Miami has a chance. They opened up terrible last week and finished very very strong. I'll feel terrible if they win and I pick against them, so I'll take them to win so in case it does happen, I'll appear intelligent.

New England @ New York Jets - I don't think Matt Cassel is going to be that bad of a backup. I'm more worried about Moss shutting it down for the season, as he's shown he can do when faced with a bad circumstance.

San Diego @ Denver - Denver looked good against an abysmal Oakland team. San Diego played with a defensive player that shouldn't have even been in the game. I think the bolts charge back.

Baltimore @ Houston - I like Schaub more than Flacco. It's really that simple for me.

Pittsburg @ Cleveland - Moar Cleveland underachieving.

Philidelphia @ Dallas - God they look good.

A ton of great matchups with interesting storylines.

Chicago @ Carolina

Buffalo @ Jacksonville

Oakland @ Kansas City

Indianapolis @ Minnesota

New Orleans @ Washington

New York Giants@ St. Louis - I just don't like the Giants and I live in STL so... but I do like Eli.

Green Bay @ Detroit - Agree with you here, plus I don't like GB

Tennessee @ Cincinatti

San Francisco @ Seattle - Yay for someone who agrees that SF has a chance to make the playoffs.

Atlanta @ Tampa Bay

Miami @ Arizona -Gonna have to go with Arizona, I'm predicting Warner goes for 300+ yards.

New England @ New York Jets - As much as I want the Jets to win this game they won't

San Diego @ Denver

Baltimore @ Houston

Pittsburg @ Cleveland

Philidelphia @ Dallas - Dallas looks like they've been doing nothing but playing football since the end of last season.

Pretty much agree with ya except for a few games which I picked the teams mostly because I don't like the Giants or Packers.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Chicago @ Carolina - Chicago's D over the Panthers without Steve Smith still.

Buffalo @ Jacksonville - Jacksonville at home, wanting to rebound for a poor performance. That and I'm not sure what to think of Buffalo right now. They scored twice (or was it three times?) off of special teams. That won't happen every single week... at least I wouldn't think so.

Oakland@ Kansas City - KC I guess..? Oakland is putrid at home. Can only imagine on the road.

Indianapolis @ Minnesota - Manning vs Minn secondary. Good stuff.

New Orleans @ Washington - Washington recovers from a god awful week, and Chris Cooley has a big game. Still don't like NO's defense.

New York Giants @ St. Louis - It's the Rams. The Giants 2nd string could roll.

Green Bay @ Detroit- Rodgers didn't look bad against the Vikes, and Detroit is worse defensively. Ryan Grant should have a big game.

Tennessee @ Cincinatti - I too am hesitant, but the Titans D should carry them here. I don't think Cincy is really as bad as they showed this past weekend.

San Francisco @ Seattle - Even with little to no WR's, Seattle prevails. They are much better at home.

Atlanta @ Tampa Bay - Going with Atlanta here if Garcia doesn't start. It all depends on him in my opinion.

Miami @ Arizona - Kurt Warner has a better game here, and Edge gets 100 yards for the second straight week.

New England @ New York Jets - I like Favre, but I think even Brady-less, the Pats can beat the Jets. Should be a closer game though.

San Diego @ Denver - Sure. It was just Oakland, but Denver gets Brandon Marshall back here. I actually like them here to go 2-0.

Baltimore @ Houston - Houston rebounds after an awful loss to Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh @ Cleveland - The Browns are back to their shitty ways.

Philidelphia @ Dallas - I like the Eagles, but I like the Cowboys more. Too much talent on offense.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I took 13/16 road teams. I'm going to fail hard.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Well I chose a slighty diff format, and I dont base picks on who I like and dont like.

Chicago @ Carolina-Bears D plays well and orton has a solid game/winner Bears

Buffalo @ Jacksonville-I think jacksonville will get its offensive woes figured out and edge the bills/winner jag's

Oakland @ Kansas City-kansas City is rebuilding, I think russell has a break out game/winner raiders

Indianapolis @ Minnesota-vikings have no offense besides peterson/winner colts by alot

New Orleans @ Washington-saints by alot/winner saints

New York Giants@ St. Louis-GMen handle nusiness/winner Giants

Green Bay @ Detroit- Riodgers has a good game/winner packers

Tennessee @ Cincinatti-Winner tenesse by a TD

San Francisco @ Seattle-Seattle is done/winner San Fran

Atlanta @ Tampa Bay-matt Ryan gets the job done/winner Atlanta

Miami @ Arizona-miamai Figures out how to score consitantly/winner Miami

New England @ New York Jets-Farve has a good game/winner Jets

San Diego @ Denver-Denver wins, I like jay's confidence

Baltimore @ Houston-Flacco has a better game/winner ravens

Pittsburg @ Cleveland-Pittsburg by flying colors

Philidelphia @ Dallas-Cowboys look very solid on both sides of the ball, cant wait for monday night. Cowboys by 3 TD's.

Chicago @ Carolina - Carolina barely squeaked one out against the Chargers, without Steve Smith I don't see them able to do much to dent the Chicago defense, and they won't be scoring with their Defense as easily either.

Buffalo @ Jacksonville - 2 of Jacksonville's starting o-lineman are out for long periods of time, Buffalo pressured hassleback a lot in week 1 and I expect it to continue.

Oakland @ Kansas City - Really tough choice here I think, both teams are pretty bad. I think Huard fights hard to win back the starting role here and De'Angelo Hall proves he can't cover any AFC West receivers, not just Eddie Royal.

Indianapolis @ Minnesota - Minnesota's secondary isn't that strong and I think the Colts are going to come into this one wanting to prove they are still the real deal. Manning will rip apart the secondary and AP won't be able to save Minnesota from Tarvaris.

New Orleans @ Washington - Washington just looked abysmal in their opener and last few preseason games, I don't think it will be as bad as the Giants game but I don't think they will be able to win either.

New York Giants @ St. Louis - The rams are not a good football team. Brandon Jacobs and Plaxico Burress go wild in this one.

Green Bay @ Detroit - Detroit will put up some points here but I don't see them being able to defend against Green Bay at all. Would love to see Detroit win this one but I don't see it happening.

Tennessee @ Cincinatti - I am very tempted to go with the upset here, but I just think Ten's defense is too good and the Bengals are just too horrible.

San Francisco @ Seattle - My Hawks aren't looking to be what they've been in the past, but thankfully the 49ers aren't much different from what they've been the last few years. Plus how much better Seattle's record is at home, I don't see them losing this despite the fact that Seattle will have more dropped passes than points at the end of the game.

Atlanta @ Tampa Bay - Not jumping on the bandwagon just yet, playing the Lions defense is VERY different from the Buc's D. I'll be rooting for Atlanta but it'll be another week or two before I really start believing in Ryan & Turner.

Miami @ Arizona - Arizona just has too much talent on offense to lose this one, but I think Ricky will look a lot better this week as will Pennington.

New England @ New York Jets - Even without Brady they still have Moss, and as much as I hate to say it they have Bellichick. Close but no cigar for the Jets.

San Diego @ Denver - I guess this is my upset for the Week, I think the Broncos continue to look strong and the Chargers get everyone afraid before they start winning again.

Baltimore @ Houston - Houston looked more than bad, Raven's D looks like it is back.

Pittsburgh @ Cleveland - Somewhere in the distance Overrated chants are starting to be heard.

Philidelphia @ Dallas - How do you bet against Dallas this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Buffalo @ Jacksonville - 1st intriguing matchup. Buffalo now possibly favored to win the division and jacksonville favored by some to win theirs and go to the superbowl. Jax could possibly go to 0-2, which is hard to believe with their talent. I'm still taking buffalo.
    I wish people wouldn't say that. I'm a Buffalo homer, but that home opener showed that Buffalo's offense didn't do much. They still have yet to drive a full 80 yards for a touchdown.

They usually do this to us Buffalo fans. They come out in the home opener guns blazing and then fade away.

With that said, I'm still taking Buffalo.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Chicago @ Carolina

Buffalo @ Jacksonville

Oakland @ Kansas City

Indianapolis @ Minnesota

New Orleans @ Washington

New York Giants@ St. Louis

Green Bay @ Detroit

Tennessee @ Cincinatti

San Francisco @ Seattle

Atlanta @ Tampa Bay

Miami @ Arizona

New England @ New York Jets - NE is still a heck of a team without Brady, Jets still meh even with Favre

San Diego @ Denver

Baltimore @ Houston

Pittsburg @ Cleveland

Philadelphia @ Dallas - Easily the game of the week. Philly is vastly improved this season and they matchup well with the Boys. Reids record in prime time games is nothing to scoff at either, they always come to play.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Indianapolis @ Minnesota
    /sad

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I truly believe that the Eagles can beat the Cowboys this week. They've beaten Dallas at home two years running, they have a much better team than the 06-07 birds and frankly match up well. You can learn a lot from the Eagles win over the Rams and the Cowboys win over the Browns. Dallas looks solid, absolutely, but the Eagles are going to play them hard. Philadelphia's defense is stalwart. They have such depth in the secondary that they can afford to pressure Tony Romo and trust that they can get the job done against receivers.

And I know that it was, "Just the Rams," the Eagles let loose on, but would the Cowboys have beaten up on them any more or less? Good teams should throttle a team like the Rams and I'm convinced Philadelphia has the talent to win on Monday.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

last year the eagles throttled the lions like 56-21 and everyone said they were back. the very next week osi took a shit on that entire team by himself. hard to judge the eagles talent when they beat up on weaklings. that being said i still feel the eagles pose a threat. they have an insane pass rush and dallas is down a starting left guard.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The Eagles weren't a very good team last year though and that's the biggest difference. While it's true that they probably should have made the play offs they were a mess from week one. That game was a fluke and it bears mentioning that going into that game the Lions didn't look like the weaklings they turned out to be. They were 6-2 going into week 10 when they realized they were the Lions and only won a single game after that.

The Browns are clearly a stronger team than the Rams, but I find it hard to believe that if the situations were reversed people would be saying, "It's just the Rams," about the Cowboys dominating them. It would be, "Look at how scary the Cowboys are! They battered a bad team like good teams should." I'm just looking for some parity. The Cowboys are clearly the team to beat, but the Eagles have come to play in 2008.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Trichocyst View Post
    The Eagles weren't a very good team last year though and that's the biggest difference. While it's true that they probably should have made the play offs they were a mess from week one. That game was a fluke and it bears mentioning that going into that game the Lions didn't look like the weaklings they turned out to be. They were 6-2 going into week 10 when they realized they were the Lions and only won a single game after that.

The Browns are clearly a stronger team than the Rams, but I find it hard to believe that if the situations were reversed people would be saying, "It's just the Rams," about the Cowboys dominating them. It would be, "Look at how scary the Cowboys are! They battered a bad team like good teams should." I'm just looking for some parity. The Cowboys are clearly the team to beat, but the Eagles have come to play in 2008.
    It's a knee jerk reaction to say the Eagles are a good team this year when we simply don't know after a week. They had 2 rookies that played exceptionally well and 3 100+ yard recievers. That is a statistical anomaly. Their stud WR from last year is out and McNabb was spreading the offense around.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well I am confident they are the real deal based on what I saw in pre-season, what I saw this week, expectations coming into the season and footage I watched both from this and last year. Maybe that's a more accurate thing to say. While I am obligated to defend my hometown team anyway, I do feel like they are the real deal. I also have to laugh at the idea of Kevin Curtis being anybody's big stud WR. McNabb has had success with scrub receivers before and can do it again (Freddie Mitchell, I'm looking in your direction).

Who was the 2nd rookie?

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Panthers will win, Otron plays well. Panthers line and run game is too good, mind you the Chargers are no push over team and a win is a win. Had it not been for Hackett's fumble in on the Panthers 30 yard line the game wouldn't have even been THAT close, turnover and you're a first down away from the Red zone? Shit the Chargers had better score lol. Even with Smitty out we still have Hackett who had a good game despite the fumble with 4 mins left in the game, as well as Moose, Jeff King, Rosario and Barnridge, so we have a shit ton of options. Forgot about Williams and Stewart and that hulk Offensive line.

Either way it's a win for me both ways.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Trichocyst View Post
    I also have to laugh at the idea of Kevin Curtis being anybody's big stud WR. McNabb has had success with scrub receivers before and can do it again (Freddie Mitchell, I'm looking in your direction).

Man I miss Fred Ex.

"First I would like to thank god for blessing me with these hands" ROFL. That is still one of the best quotes ever.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    Jeff King
    my roommate and i fucked his gf back when he played for tech. no bullshit

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    my roommate and i fucked his gf back when he played for tech. no bullshit
    Nice rofl.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

And the injury plagued season continues. Colston out 4-6 weeks. Had surgery on his thumb. David Patten and Henderson should get some more looks this time from Brees.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I think the Pats will be just fine, as long as Cassel can settle into the starter role. The rest of the team and the coaching is so solid and professional that they'll be able to adjust to the change. The real variable is how they handle the Jets with not just Farve, but the other needed changes they made to strengthen the team.

I think it'll be close, but the Pats will pull it out in the end by 3.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast