+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

POL randomly shutting down

I bought this new computer just a few days ago, and I've noticed that FFXI decides to randomly shut down(foricibly). The time between when it shuts down is pretty random, could be 5 minutes or 5 hours but it Vista gives me a message saying that there was a problem with POL and it had to be shut down.

any ideas?
    -thanks

Had this problem forever, made a few topics, nothing was ever found iirc. Still have this problem too, and it's annoying as hell.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Does your PC exhibit any other problems? Like resetting itself randomly or anything like that? I had this exact same problem with PoL.exe crashing too and it turned out to be a problem with having my RAM in dual channel mode. I ran Memtest86+ on my machine and it came up with errors almost instantly. When I removed one stick of ram and retested it passed. I then swapped sticks of Ram and retested again.... and again it passed. It was just in dual channel mode that the machine didn't like it.

The PC runs like butter with just single channel ram installed and the problems with PoL.exe crashing also went away immediately. I still need to sort out the problem properly. After all I've paid for 2GB RAM and can only run with 1GB. But for now all is running sweetly at least.

My problem only occurs on one laptop, and very rarely on another.