• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Installing Windows Vista on more than one computer

Is is possible to install Windows Vista on more than one computer with the same Key? I want to say you can't, but I can't find the answer anywhere...
    I would think it would be lame to make you need to purchase more than one Keys, but, you can never tell sometimes with companies like that.
    Thanks! lol

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Not legitimately, I can say that for sure.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Ok, that's what I thought! Thanks!

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If its a OEM copy you can, if its a copy you purchased at like bestbuy then no.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by AyzenBahamut View Post
    If its a OEM copy you can, if its a copy you purchased at like bestbuy then no.
    No, and no.

First of all, you can't use the same key to install Vista multiple times unless you have a Volume License or something, which is mostly used in businesses or schools.

For normal copies, the difference between OEM and retail is that OEM copies (besides the lack of a box, instruction manuals, ect) is that you can't reinstall the operating system if you make a major change to your computer. The definition of "major change" will vary depending on what Microsoft rep you talk to, but generally it means if you swap out the motherboard you have to buy a new copy. Retail copies can be installed as many times on as many systems as you want, you're just limited to having it installed on one system at a time. That's why they're so much more expensive.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I don't know if its "you can't legitametly" reinstall the operating system after a major change but I bought an OEM of Windows XP Professional and have gone through 3 motherboards with it and the activation went without a hitch. So much for microsofts protection eh? !

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Some people have done that, others have had problems with upgrades deactivating it. The official policy is that an OEM copy isn't licensed for transfer between machines, and so if it doesn't work they can just tell you to go buy another copy.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

hmmm... ok, thanks for all of your help!
    Just curious, but, would the same thing go for Microsoft Office? >_<

PRINCESS NEWMUMMY
    space mini!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

The same thing pretty much applies for all Microsoft products.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

That's lame, but I didn't really expect different, lol

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    No, and no.

First of all, you can't use the same key to install Vista multiple times unless you have a Volume License or something, which is mostly used in businesses or schools.

For normal copies, the difference between OEM and retail is that OEM copies (besides the lack of a box, instruction manuals, ect) is that you can't reinstall the operating system if you make a major change to your computer. The definition of "major change" will vary depending on what Microsoft rep you talk to, but generally it means if you swap out the motherboard you have to buy a new copy. Retail copies can be installed as many times on as many systems as you want, you're just limited to having it installed on one system at a time. That's why they're so much more expensive.
    What? No, your license has nothing to do with the actual hardware contained therein; the "major change" just is their rule of thumb for what might set off the activation alarm and shut you down thinking you've bummed a dupe copy.

You can replace your system with 100% brand new parts, and as long as you aren't running the same license copy on another workstation at the same time, the key is transferrable. There's a reason they have you put the sticker on the case, not the motherboard >.>

The reason you didn't have problems, Ikith, is likely due to time duration between the reinstalls. I too have reinstalled at least thrice without any trouble whatsoever, though each time was only one or two parts changed out (sans this most recent event, which was a complete rebuild; only thing reused from previous workstation was two sticks of memory).

Edit: Oh, I missed the OEM specific distinction. That may be true, I don't know. :X

Sorry, long day. x_X

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post
    What? No, your license has nothing to do with the actual hardware contained therein; the "major change" just is their rule of thumb for what might set off the activation alarm and shut you down thinking you've bummed a dupe copy.

You can replace your system with 100% brand new parts, and as long as you aren't running the same license copy on another workstation at the same time, the key is transferrable. There's a reason they have you put the sticker on the case, not the motherboard >.>

The reason you didn't have problems, Ikith, is likely due to time duration between the reinstalls. I too have reinstalled at least thrice without any trouble whatsoever, though each time was only one or two parts changed out (sans this most recent event, which was a complete rebuild; only thing reused from previous workstation was two sticks of memory).

Edit: Oh, I missed the OEM specific distinction. That may be true, I don't know. :X

Sorry, long day. x_X
    Yes, the key is transferable, but like I said, that's only true for retail copies. OEM copies are different in the ways I decribed. Retail and OEM copies differ by like $150 or more, it isn't because of the lack of an instructional manual and box

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

The way I understand the reason for the differences in the licences is that you have basically two different types of PC user. One who buys a PC and uses it for a long time without any major upgrades. Maybe they might upgrade one or two things but basically it's the same PC. Those people should use OEM because they may keep the same PC for a couple of years or more.

Then there is the enthusiast PC user who just has to have the latest hardware. The kind of user who is always changing things on their PC, the latest MB, processor etc.etc. These users would be better off with the Retail version because they can reinstall as many times as they like (so long as they don't have two PCs with the same copy installed at the same time. That's a no-no.)

This is the way I understand it works. Personally I went OEM.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Well, apparently a OEM copy of xp from dell has no problems being installed on 2 of my machines and one of my buddies with the same key, windows update works on all of them and all that good stuff, disc came with a new dell laptop.

EDIT: maybe this applies to vista only.

PRINCESS NEWMUMMY
    space mini!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

You can installed OEM copies on different machines and you can even buy OEM copies from places like NewEgg if you buy a piece of hardware with it. Microsoft changed this when Vista came out iirc. And you can call those nice overseas, outsourced customer service reps and get a new activation code if you take your OEM copy and reinstall it on another machine. But you are still in voilation of the EULA.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Microsoft Office Student and Teacher edition comes with 3 licenses.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

My dad has Vista Ultmate 64 bit that he had installed on his old machine. He got a new machine that came with Vista already installed. Since his old machine isn't using his Vista Ultimate, could I use his Vista 64 bit and activate it as long as he doesn't try to turn on his old machine?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Amarok View Post
    My dad has Vista Ultmate 64 bit that he had installed on his old machine. He got a new machine that came with Vista already installed. Since his old machine isn't using his Vista Ultimate, could I use his Vista 64 bit and activate it as long as he doesn't try to turn on his old machine?
    If he bought it retail, it should work. When you activate it though, you'll be deactivating the old computer, so the next time you start it up and hook it up to the net, it'll deactivate and you'll have to buy a new key for that computer.

If Vista x64 came with the system, you'll likely be unable to move it without buying another key or getting on the phone with the right Microsoft rep and getting an activation code.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Yeah he did buy a copy of it retail for his old PC. The new PC came with it installed which is why he's not using the retail copy he bought. Thanks for the help!