Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Up In Arms -Job Margination-

Everyone's dream drop:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/ff...KrakenClub.png

Yet I don't even get the chance to try the BC because nobody wants to go with a DRK.

My FFXIAH profile:

http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=340631

YES! DRK is my only job 60+ It's not that I can choose, can I?

Now... Is this fair?
    I was told told by several people I couldn't finish CoP on DRK yet I was DRK at every mission I did and got my Rajas, etc, etc...

So...Do you marginate some jobs like DRK while looking for people to do this BCNM? If so, why? You want "the perfect set up"?

Discuss please.

Please don't tell me to make my own pt for this cause when I say to others I go on my DRK then just leave the party LOL.

/sarcasm ON
    Maybe I am just a bad player and that is why they don't accept me!
    /sarcasm OFF

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Unfortunately, not everything in this game can be won through brute force of willpower. BCNM fights are highly scripted to require several key elements, and many people may not be familiar with what, exactly, those elements are, so they'd rather not risk their seals to get a new process in the mix.

It's not really a slight against DRK, more just no good way to test new ideas for such things without doing so in the high-risk scenario itself, which most people aren't willing to do.

Edit: Admittedly, I'm not exactly sure how this fight goes, so I can't comment on how feasible a DRK would be in there anyway :<

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Albender View Post
    [Stuff]
    What exactly do you want people to tell you? If you want a shot at a KC bad enough, and your success rate on getting a group to do it with DRK is unacceptable, I would level another job.

Your other option is to keep crying about it.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    What exactly do you want people to tell you?
    I'm just asking why DRK doesn't fit. (apparently)

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Basically it boils down to unless people are your friends, they don't want/need dead weight in the BCNM vs doing it with people who contribute/make things easier in the fight. That being said a decent RDM or a RDM+BLM should be able to pull this fight off, so go make some friends and leech off them.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

YES! DRK is my only job 60+ It's not that I can choose, can I?
    Absolutely. If you're hitting that hard of a wall and have no options whatsoever as things are now, you can choose to save up more seals while you level another job that might be easier to find help for this with.

Now... Is this fair?
    I was told told by several people I couldn't finish CoP on DRK yet I was DRK at every mission I did and got my Rajas, etc, etc...
    'Fair' and 'Right' are rather sweeping ideas to apply to a situation like this. I've done this BC with a DRKonly player. Obviously despite being in a situation like this for CoP, you managed to complete it. I'm sure you could work out a strategy for this BC that includes your job.

So...Do you marginate some jobs like DRK while looking for people to do this BCNM? If so, why? You want "the perfect set up"?

Discuss please.

Please don't tell me to make my own pt for this cause when I say to others I go on my DRK then just leave the party LOL.
    Marginalize.

It was a little bit difficult to find out exactly what you mean with this post, as you've expressed very well that you're frustrated, but allowed that to override what I think it is that you're asking.

So as far as party set ups go, we've done this as SAM/PLD/WHM and DRK/PLD/WHM -- judicious damage dealing while the PLD establishes hate, and a Repose when necessary to recover MP. It was a fun fight, especially as we had to figure out how to beat it for our group.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Another option is to just save up and buy one. I know they're expensive, but with the drop rate in the BC, you'll definitely see one a hell of a lot sooner by buying it then waiting for an eventual drop.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

When you go into a bcnm, you obviously dont want to lose. Im not saying that you "cant" use drk, but people stick with what works, if it aint broke, dont fix it. It sucks, but that is the main reason I havent blown any of my 1000 seals on this bcnm (yet). My ls pretty much sticks with blm blm rdm, so If I ever decide that I want to start doing this bcnm I will probably just take blm or rdm to 60, it isnt all that hard.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

I'm just asking why DRK doesn't fit. (apparently)
    I can tell you why people don't prefer it. If you take hate in the BCNM on DRK, chances are high you are going to die. Trying to avoid this, and subbing /NIN doesn't help much. The phases that will get you killed are the phases where the NM swings fast, and the end, where the NM spams AoE and hits through shadows and invincible.

Now, not to say you couldn't go in as BLM + RDM + DRK and win fairly easily, but that wasn't the point of this thread. I've seen RDM + BLM duo this before. Hell, I've seen RDM solo this BCNM. Still doesn't mean it's easy.

The one time I tried this, we went as PLD/WAR + BLU/NIN + DRG/WHM. Even keeping solid hate almost all through the fight, the melees were still getting hit by the nasty AoEs, and they had ways to cure themselves back up. How is a DRK supposed to be self sustaining in a situation like that? Drain alone won't cut it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

BLU 51! It won't be that much of an effort taking it to 60 and you could do pretty well if you can't find people willing to go with a DRK.
    I've cleared this BC with many combos (RDM/BST/BST, RDM/SAM/BST, RDM/RNG/BST), if you have a RDM and a SAM/rng or RNG friend you're golden.
    This BC can be soloed or duoed, as long as 2/3 jobs are optimal it is really easy to clear.
    As a DRK you can help with absorb spells, DoTs and melee damage, you can kite if /nin as you ain't lacking hate tools, definitely you aren't useless in this BC.
    Too many times people are just dumb and say XXX or YYY job sucks at ZZZ by hearsay. I've seen this crap too many times especially with Under Observation, where you MUST have nin/nin/rdm or you'll fail miserabily.
    My pcc won with smn/blu/nin says sup.

:3
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Skywall

:3

There really is no requirements based on job for the fight, it's more of a base on need at certain points. Or in short:

You need some kind of tank that is ready to take really fast blows in the beginning, or some means of counteracting this effect. Going w/ BLM's means sleep/nuking to avoid hits. Last group I went with was NIN/BLU/BRD, and the BLU's headbutt helped the NIN keep his shadows up as best he can while I healed and blindna'd. If you timed your stun well, you could at least help out here for a marginal second. Not to mention the damage put-out should take off enough tentacles fast to get this phase over with.

You need a plan in case something goes awry and you need to rest. Again, for us that was me with lullaby to give the tank time to clear way, then the BLU would use a sleep spell to let us rest for MP. DRK has access to sleep correct? that'd put it in that role nicely.

Finally, you need a plan to deal with the last 30%, where he stops using Ink Jet as the only TP move, and starts using it as a melee attack and introduces all of his other delicious moves. For me, that was the BLU once again (notice, how the BLU did pretty much most of the work save actually tanking). Both of the others stored TP and took it down asap, and I healed them until I ran out. Still came fairly close, but nothing too alarming. DRK sounds like it should be able to put a nice dent in here.

If you get the group, go over the strategy, and give it a whirl, sure you can expect wonders. But it's really hard to tell a group "This is my first time, Let's try it with job X" when job X is as commonly used as a piece of salami to tennis.

I had to inform my first group "You two BLM's will nuke and I'll just lullaby it so that it doesn't kill you" then lo-to-behold, lullaby sucks balls in this fight, so they compensated. After that, I told em I'd pile on MP and do the healing and BANISH NUKING FOR JUSTICE. And they were cool with that. Second group was all about having fun, and we worked out a strategy that won the day.

Finally, did it with LS mates. That's also a nice venue for "Let's try something new"

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

As mentioned above, It can be done, but you may have to be willing to risk your own seals to establish a strategy. I personally have done this BCNM 30 or so times and do it with SMN x3. Have never lost the battle with that set up (though have come close once or twice). My advice to you is that unless you are planning on being a DRK only, you should begin leveling a job that is more viable for this BCNM. It will serve as a means of not only obtaining a second 75 job (making you more marketable in the end game atmosphere), but will also provide you with the seals for the BCNM.

Jobs that are described as viable include (but are not limited to): RNG, BLM, RDM, SMN.

Please keep in mind that the drop rate is terrible for the KC (hence the 30M gil pricetag). So unless you are exceptionally lucky, you will need ALOT of seals for a 'your orb, your drop' set up. All other items from the loot pool for the bcnm will net you maybe 20k per pop.

Oh, and about 1.5 years ago when I completed CoP, we had a DRK in our static too. Anything can be done, but you need to be willing to put time and effort into establishing a strategy that works for it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

This BCNM is ridiculously easy. Almost 3 of any job set up can take this guy down.

I did this religiously for a while (no luck on club) with pld or NIN (depending on who was available), RDM, DRK. PLD would kite it, Nin would kite and spam elemental spells, RDM would nuke, dot and support (when it got near spam mode, you can always sleep it and rest for a bit too for mp). DRK/NIN would just DD it.

Win in 7-8 mins.

RDM + DRK + BLM works fine here. Seriously, I've done this with effectively RDM + BLM, and it can actually be soloed by a BLM with good gear and a little luck.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by arshesney View Post
    My pcc won with smn/blu/nin says sup.
    That's actually a pretty standard setup for UO, rdm|smn|bst kiter + blu|nin|bstx2. Maybe your server is more uptight about it, but I never have trouble getting UO setup with any combination of the above.

On topic thou, honestly I wouldn't do Up In Arms with a drk. I've duoed this BC a few times with rdm + rng, and I'm sure drk could leech off of that type of strat, but fuck that. A player with only drk at 75 and no willingness to level a different job would annoy me in the first place.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Rdm + Blm can duo it, but then they don't need to bring the drk along.

As far as I know, there are 3 'easy' strategies for this fight:

1) Guy who can cast gravity + 2 ranged DDs (cor, blm, rng, sam/rng, sch). Rdm, sch/rdm, or blm/rdm casts gravity on the NM, other two people (possibly + the guy that cast gravity) use ranged damage ala spells or bows/xbows/guns to do damange until they need to sleep it. Then they sleep it and repeat until the NM dies.

2) 3 bsts. 3 bsts enter, call pets, wait 3 minutes, send pets after NM, reward when pet hp reaches 50%, call another pet if the first pet dies, reward when pet reachs 50% etc.

3) Pld + rdm + DD. This is the one that drk has a place in. Paladin can tank the NM during it's crazy fast attack cycle via sentinel and then light spikes, while the rdm keeps him refreshed and alive, the DD helps the pld melee down the NM. The trick is finding a rdm that's willing to do this BCNM this way instead of method #1.

4) This one's kinda hard, but straigthforward. Nin, Bard, Whm (or rdm). Pretend the NM is Charybdis. I don't recommend trying that approach in a shout group.

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    Another option is to just save up and buy one. I know they're expensive, but with the drop rate in the BC, you'll definitely see one a hell of a lot sooner by buying it then waiting for an eventual drop.
    If I wanted/needed one, this is the route I'd go. Making money is a lot easier than beating the odds in that BC.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I really can't see pld rdm drk having a problem with this bcnm. Maybe need to sleep it for a few ticks of mp and a bit of hate building mid way through. Take a few meds with you as a safety net if you are worried etc.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
    I really can't see pld rdm drk having a problem with this bcnm. Maybe need to sleep it for a few ticks of mp and a bit of hate building mid way through. Take a few meds with you as a safety net if you are worried etc.
    That's exactly what we did, except with WHM. 2/3s through, Repose, rest up, and you're perfect to finish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast