+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

"Magic Critical Hit Rate" Testing

EDIT:

Crit Hit seems to give you +10MAB when it procs (Thanks Suiram). Unknown if this affects QD or enfeebles.

I got Witch's Sash and Wise Strap today and started testing a bit on puddings first. Here's a quick summary of my observations...

Lightsday | 131 INT | 67% MAB (with trait included) | +15% stave damage

Note that puddings have a +25% damage taken to magic.

Thunder IV - Normal 1587 | Critical 1677

Blizzard IV - Normal 1526 | Critical 1612 (NOTE INT is now 136 from this b/c of +5 INT on Aquilo)

About a 5.6%-5.7% increase in damage. When doing puddings, the amount of damage on the "critical hit" was always the same and completely consistent. I wanted to check if this damage increase was a straight increase or if it changed something within the damage formula...

I tried testing this using low level spell spamming. I haven't been able to do much but this is what I have so far (mob tested was Sabretooth Tiger in Batallia)...

Lightsday | 90 INT | 32% MAB (with trait included) | +0% stave damage

Water I - Normal 81 | Critical 88

This resulted in a damage increase of 8.64 to 9.87%... a significantly higher amount than that tested on puddings. This leads me to believe that the critical hit damage increase is not a straight up % damage added on top of your normal damage, but involves a manipulation of 1 or multiple factors within the damage formula variables.

I know the data is limited at the moment, but I was wondering how the variables could possibly be manipulated in the formula. I came up with these factors (or some combo of them)...

1) Straight damage increase (like staves) - seems not true with this data
    2) Increases the player's INT or alternatively decreases the mob's INT (same effect)
    3) Increases the amount of MAB in the formula
    4) Increase the BASE damage of the spell itself (for instance, Thunder 4 is 541 base)

How exactly does melee crit hit work? I know they aren't exactly comparable but maybe they have similarities?

Also, Elemental Seal doesn't guarantee you a critical hit. The proc rate does seem to be about 5% with both Wise Strap and Witch Sash. Overall it doesn't seem to be an overwhelming boost. I'm still debating whether to use Wise Strap at all. Witch Sash is the best nuking piece with or without that critical hit boost in my opinion though (because of easy sorc ring proc).

So on puddings you're looking at +0.17% damage (3% x 5.7%) from the strap?

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Starr View Post
    So on puddings you're looking at +0.17% damage (3% x 5.7%) from the strap?
    Trying to figure out the actual formula behind it. If you were to assume it is a straight 5.7% increase that cannot be changed by other variables, then yes you are looking at +0.17% damage per nuke, which is like 2 damage a nuke. If the damage increase cannot be upped further, than it's a pretty underwhelming stat as the +1 INT from bugard strap +1 would even trump 3% crit from wise strap.

I'll hold off making decisive statements until I can find the real formula behind it, but it's looking like it's not a useful stat.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You bought them or were they actually found?

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen View Post
    You bought them or were they actually found?
    I bought them but I know where they come from. It's in the Wings of the Goddess section thread.

That Campaign ops is being spammed to death on Odin and the prices crashed within 24-36 hours. The drop rates are fairly decent and just about anyone with high sandy rank can do it. I have low rank so I can't I actually should have waited more maybe because it looks like San'doria is going to have all the zones for next week as well.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Oh damn nice, they went from 18m to like what?

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen View Post
    Oh damn nice, they went from 18m to like what?
    About 5M atm. Wise Strap is under 100k now. Drops are like...

x1 Strap (Wise or Brave)
    x1 Misc. (Witch Sash, Cuch. Mantle, Orcish Gaunts)
    x2 stones (Aquamarine etc.)

Not exaggerating when I say spammed to death. La Vaule is packed.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Oh damn nice loool.

I'm going to go out on a limb and propose it's MAB+10, and that you actually had +77 MAB in the pudding tests (did you count potency merits?)

It works for Thunder IV and the Water tests, but I haven't had my coffee yet so I need to double check for errors and check that it works for Blizzard, too, then I'll post the math.

Okay, math time. You had +77 MAB on the pudding, I'm almost certain, because for one, +67 wouldn't work for the non-crit value (you'd need an odd number in the 2*dINT term, when it has to be even) and because +77 works for that value with their stats as I remember them (89 INT).

For Water I, I don't know the tiger's INT but it doesn't matter since Water I base damage caps out at 62 which is what you got anyway.

Thunder IV
    ⌊2*(131-89) + 541⌋ = 625
    ⌊625 * 1.15⌋ = 718

⌊718 * 1.77⌋ = 1270 non-crit pre-TMDA damage
    ⌊718 * 1.87⌋ = 1342 crit pre-TMDA damage

⌊1270 * 1.25⌋ = 1587 non-crit final damage
    ⌊1342 * 1.25⌋ = 1677 crit final damage

Blizzard IV
    ⌊2*(136-89) + 506⌋ = 600
    ⌊600 * 1.15⌋ = 690

⌊690 * 1.77⌋ = 1221 non-crit pre-TMDA damage
    ⌊690 * 1.87⌋ = 1290 crit pre-TMDA damage

⌊1221 * 1.25⌋ = 1526 non-crit final damage
    ⌊1290 * 1.25⌋ = 1612 crit final damage

Water I
    ⌊62 * 1.32⌋ = 81 non-crit final damage
    ⌊62 * 1.42⌋ = 88 crit final damage

So it would give more damage in a Skill/INT build than a MAB build because of diminishing returns right?

It would give more damage than it would in a build that utilizes more MAB, obviously yes. But looking at the strap, even if you had only MAB naked (and most skill or INT build have at least a few MAB pieces anyway) that's +42 MAB after potency merits, meaning a crit is a 7% increase in damage, 3% of the time, so a 0.21% increase in overall damage.

Compare to a Bugard Strap +1 which gives a bigger increase until 946 base damage (impossible on anything but AM2, and on AM2 would stilll require 118 more INT than target), so essentially in all cases the Bugard+1 is better overall damage. That said, when you get to numbers that low, who cares. If that Ops ever became available on Pandy, I'd probably use both for a while except when -enmity was important, just because it's kinda cool lol

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Any idea if "Magic Critical Hit Rate" would effect enfeebling magic at all?

Perhaps easiest to test proc rates, or even duration increases, of Slow and Paralyze.

Well I'm more interested in Quick Draw seeing as no other strap can enhance it atm.

That's an interesting question. Assuming it works on Quick Draw, which would need to be tested.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thanks for the testing. I'm disappointed with the underwhelming results, tbh.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Ok Starr now we go farm this shit.

As soon as they say what Campaign Rank you have to be I'll start getting ready to do it.

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Thanks Suiram. You're right... I didn't take into account the +10MAB from potency merits. So it does look like +10 MAB.

I guess the stat itself is a bit underwhelming for BLM. I'm still using Witch Sash but I think I may just forgo the Wise Strap. It does sound like it would be useful for COR QD though since there's not much to put in that slot.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well... Another thing : maybe magic critical hit rate happens to change m.acc? I know it will be hard to tell since there are so few items that gives magic critical, but still... IF there isn't an improvement in m.acc, i dunno why SE did even care to introduce a stat like this, they could have just put int+1 on both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast