Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    ATB is real time. Just because you don't think it is doesn't mean other people don't.
    Charismatic pretty much covered everything I would have said. Active time battle gameplay is usually segmented to a point it's ridiculous to talk about "real time".

Real time: Character reacts in real time to your input (very short delay between the button press and reaction)
    Hybrid game: The input are executed in a timeline defined by the game. Some part are real time, other turn based
    turn based Time is never a factor. Every one take their turn and their action never overlap.

I agree with Kaylia/Charismatic on this one. The closest ATB ever got to real time was FFX-2.

Banned.

BG Level

My reasoning is that you are defining what is real-time(or what is not real-time) with the definition of a turn. I am saying it is possible for turns to be dealt with in real-time(game does not pause in between turns, but turns restrict activity to the person who turn it is. In FF games case this would be the action itself).

I still don't agree with you, but there really isn't a point on arguing with it since it is hardly related. But I will pick at one point, menus cutting away from real-time doesn't really change the genre at all. Off the top of my head, you can't say something like Mass Effect isn't real-time because you can go into a menu that pauses the game in order to direct your allies.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

If you're doing combat actions (such as giving orders) while the game is 'paused' I can not see how you could consider that part real-time.
    It just doesn't add up.

I'd go as far as to retract my original statement and say hybrid games instead of real-time since I don't think I've actually played an RPG that was 100% real-time combat.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    If you're doing combat actions (such as giving orders) while the game is 'paused' I can not see how you could consider that part real-time.
    It just doesn't add up.

I'd go as far as to retract my original statement and say hybrid games instead of real-time since I don't think I've actually played an RPG that was 100% real-time combat.
    Infinite Undiscovery is 100% real-time. Using potions has never been so hard.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

KH and .Hack//GU were real time? Y/N? What i don't get is how does the game being a hybrid if not real time, change the fact that turn based sucks most of the time now?
    Also Active was here, Wait is for scrubs.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    KH and .Hack//GU were real time? Y/N? What i don't get is how does the game being a hybrid if not real time, change the fact that turn based sucks most of the time now?
    Haven't played .hack, but Kingdom Hearts is definately all real time.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

.hack is almost the same style as KH so yeah its real time

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    My reasoning is that you are defining what is real-time(or what is not real-time) with the definition of a turn. I am saying it is possible for turns to be dealt with in real-time(game does not pause in between turns, but turns restrict activity to the person who turn it is. In FF games case this would be the action itself).
    You can say whatever you want, but the word "real time" in video game was always associated with the reaction time between command input and the action on the screen. When you press "A button" or the "keypad", your character will do something. In ATB system, your command are chained (ie: you can do 3 input, then wait for the game to sort everything), and after every inputs, there is a long delay where your character do nothing but bend over and take it in the ass.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I don't really want to jump too far into the Turn Based versus Active battle systems used in different games, but I will say that after an entire childhood starting with games like the original Final Fantasy on the NES, turn based RPGs seem to grind on my nerves. I can still tolerate the good ones, but, back when, an RPG was an RPG, it was all turn based and we all loved it. I kind of like the newer hybrid RPGs, and I've always been a fan of SRPGs.

Anyhow, on the topic of the game, whatever happened to their old plan to have the 360 and PS3 versions have different main characters and whatnot? And why is there still no release date for the PS3 version? /sadface

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Looks kinda eh, could go either way very easily.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Gameplay looks like it could be great, not sure about the characters and voice acting though, some of them sound nothing like you'd think from their appearance imo. Looking forward to this more than I was before watching that now though.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Resin Midwater
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Yeah, this seems like a must-buy for me, as an RPG fan and only owning a PS3. Hopefully S-E won't dissapoint. Now they just need to get it fixed so they can release it already! ><

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It's hard to say what the gameplay will be like... I just hope it's not as close to IU as I think it will be... IU was fun and all, but it was mainly mashing buttons.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

1up preview writeup: The Last Remnant New Impressions Preview

Apparently famitsu gave it a 38/40...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171265

I'm really pumped for this game

E. Body
    BG Level

I think I heard something about GI giving it a 7/10; complaining it was grind-heavy.
    I don't mind either way, I hope the gameplay is awesome

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Really want this game to not suck.

New Odin
    BG Level

That 1up preview sounded horrible... I don't even like fallout, but if SE is moving towards that type of RPG... it's gonna mean bad times for me!

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    That 1up preview sounded horrible... I don't even like fallout, but if SE is moving towards that type of RPG... it's gonna mean bad times for me!
    Doesnt sound anything like fallout 3 ;x