+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

anyone still playing this game? i'm still on disc one but i think near the switch over to 2 anytime now however i keep getting what look like nice formation bonus's in chests and what not but i don't know how to activate them

any insight?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Forget everything I said, this game is amazing.

Story is great, hell I just watched a 2 pretty epic cutscenes one after another, and it's not even the end of CD1.
    Gameplay got harder, some bosses+adds take a lot of thinking... you have to decide who to attack first, who to aid, who to cover, etc. so they don't wipe you out.

Sidequests are a lot of fun too.

The only gripe I have with the game is the lack of each unit's level, but they make up for it by upgrading their stats after fights... and there's a "battle rank" level that shows up after each battle, which practically serves as the "level" of the party.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

game is good for sure - still enjoying it

finally on disc 2, had to go back and do some more of the side quests to beat the 3 boss back to back to back battle before it went to D2

im trying to think of things that are wrong with this game and its kind of hard, the only real thing that i can point out has already been beaten to death in this thread (load times) but are solved by simply installing the game

oh one thing i dont like very much is sometimes you get cursed or one party is at like 40% HP and you want to do a heal or get a cursna(not called that but ya) and you wont get a choice for that from any of your parties. thats really the only annoying thing ive found so far and i have began to progress and unlock more of the ability trees for my toons its getting easier to do those types of status cures but still not 100% like if you had control over every character

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Gates of Hell was extremely hard IMO... but then I found out that I ran out of Relaxing Herbs, which are used both in revivals and in curing arts lol.. So I had to get out of there, buy some more, and then run back in.
    I fought my way there once again so I got up to BR42, and at that point he was very easy. Took out his minions before even engaging him (even though I took out Cyclops fairly early so he could tank Gates..)

The 3rd fight in that series of battles (although you save after Gates, so it's not that big of a deal) was even easier than the 1st boss fight in that series of battles... Taking out the minions was a joke, the main human boss was fairly easy as well. The boss itself seemed to have infinite HP, but he died eventually... that fight took me 20~ mins though. >.>

I JUST started CD2, only to save really... but I was really turned off by the way they decided to go with the story right after that last cutscene in CD1... they explain nothing about Irina, the Conqueror, or anything else really... I hope everything becomes clear soon, about to do the first 'story mission' right after I finish getting caught up with the sidequests.

Has anyone done the desert quest where she gives you a succession of letters/numbers and tells you to follow the poles set out in the desert in that order? I can't seem to find even 1 of the right ones... been running out in the desert for like 10 minutes before I gave up on that quest for the time being.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

i had to do gates of hell 2 times as well but the first time i smoked him and went straight to the sam l jackson wannabe fight and got smoked because i too forgot to restock on all the herbs and shit boy was i pissed - it turned out to be a good thing tho because i went back to before the aqueducts zone and did just about every fucking side quest there was

EXCEPT for that fucking one you are talking about with the numbers on the poles - i was able to find one of the poles with the C or something whatever the first one was she asked for but then just couldnt find any others - not sure if you have to touch only the ones that she mentions or what

also that zone is gay as fuck - since you are on D2 already you probably have the big ass curse'ing mother fucking birds and the giant beetles which makes it about 10x harder then it was when i first got that quest

i think im about BR80-90~ right now up to 18 max in my party but only 6 leaders makes me sad that i can't pick anymore leaders because i feel like im missing out

im up to the part in the game where you are told to find out why all the lords of the cities didnt come to the last congress meeting - i expected to just be pushed into another CS but it left me there hanging so i went to see some of the lords but none of them really have anything to say - no quest bubble etc

not sure what to do frmo there but thats where i shut it off last night so ill figure it out later on today

i can't believe more people arent playing this game i think its fantastic

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm not as far as you guys, still on the first disc at the point in the story shortly after the one-on-one scene between the Conqueror and a member of your party. I think I'm pretty much completely up to date on side-quests though (excluding the guild Rare Monsters - fuck that shit - and one quest which has me returning an item for a Qsiti's hometown - haven't been there yet.).

With regards to the side-quest in The Great Sand Sea with the coded message.. This might be difficult to explain without diagrams..

Spoiler: show
    So, the code you're given is something like C4E12B or whatever. Letters and numbers obviously.

Now, when you arrive in that zone, look straight ahead of you. You'll see two posts nearby. That post to the left is 'A'. And that post to the right is '1'. (Might be the other way around, but that's not important for this run-through.)

The way the posts are placed in the area approximately forms a huge \_/ shape, with you initially positioned at the bottom of that V. The \ is a straight line, starting with A and continuing B, C, D, E, F.. The / is similarly a straight line formed by posts, starting at 1 and continuing 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6..

Once you understand that layout, you simply need to click on the posts in the correct order 'C4E12B' or whatever. Start by running up to the third post in the \ direction, then back to the start and the 4th post in the / direction and so on.

You'll get a cutscene after you click the last post, pay attention to it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Deeke that explanation makes sense, I'll try it out later today.

As for your story progress, you're pretty close to the end of CD1 if you saw that scene with the Conqueror and the member in Athlum.

Takedown, you DID know that you could save after Gates right? Also... did you know that if you go to the left door from your starting position and north, there's a treasure remnant on the right side of the next door with 40 relaxing herbs and like 20 curing herbs? I felt pretty silly because I went out to buy 100 of everything after losing to Gates the first time (and getting my ass kicked because I couldn't heal), then raping him the 2nd time around but missing out on all the free herbs right after since I was mostly capped. =/

I still think that 3rd boss (last boss before the end of CD1) was easy as hell, just incredibly long. Sic 1 group on his ass, take care of all the other teams with your other 2 unions, then make them help that 1st group in taking him down, and all you're left with is that remnant enemy, which doesn't really do anything other than do that lame AOE attack that barely hits for 400~ and the paralyze/silence AOE which can be cured if you have allies with the Refresh ability and you should you're using all 6 leaders correctly (Rush, Dave, and the 4 officers..)

I, too, can't believe that more people aren't playing this. Probably one the best jRPGs I've played as of late. I certainly like it more than FF12 or IU.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

ya i missed that fucking chest with all the herbs in it the first time around as well but looking back it wasnt to bad

im at the point where i spawned the 6 bases around the koenigsdrake or w/e its called beat first 1 so far was pretty easy

i think im overleveled for most of this shit since ive done almost all the quests, think i missed 2 that i cant do anymore

been whipping thru it gonna play a couple more hours later tonite

oh any tips on the quest with the lil dude from melphina name is darien looking for a chalice? not sure what to do there

oh also wanted to mention formations, ive read some posts on gamespot that have some tips on them but i havent done much with it yet. wondering if anyone here has

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

My parties are usually 1 leader with a special skill (Rush, Dave, Emmy), 3 DDs where one of those DDs has the ability to revive and heal with herbs, and the last one is my mage who I keep at the back of the formation (Restore, Refresh, etc.)

The basic formations have worked great so far. I mostly use the default one and the sword.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

right now im using rush, emmy, jaeger, loki(used since beginning turned out pretty good),the 4hand dude, andummm grady another guy that turned out pretty good.

only reason i dont switch to a main guy like dave or blocter/pagus is because i didnt realize that they could be in my parties at first so they are pretty underleveled

i could go grind them but thats mehish at best

just beat base 3 and might try for base 4 but mebbe not since its kinda late and they take about an 40 mins or so the battles are pretty easy but the actual boss fights are getting progressively harder not sure what 4/5/6/koenig are going to have in store for me

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm still just getting into the game. I just finished up the fight where you first encounter Irina again with the mage in white. I was having a fuckload of issues because I apparently didn't have Rush leveled up enough and he was getting slaughtered every fight I did because he's alone in his party and there's only 2 guys in my other party. I know that there's supposed to be a guy in Athlum that will let you recruit soldiers for your parties but I don't know how soon that becomes available. So I've basically been struggling through having Rush perpetually in Stand By mode and letting my other party handle the gruntwork. So far it's a pretty fun game and the plot is interesting enough to keep my attention.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I can't remember the exact timeline for plot events.. but I'm pretty sure your Army Recruitment Officer (guy who supplies you with free soldiers) should be available at that point in the story.

He'd be standing right in front of you in the Town Square central zone of Athlum (or whatever it's called). Are you sure he isn't there?

(That said, I might be thinking of the wrong part of the story actually. There's two moments I can think of involving Irina and the scar-eye dude.)

Either way, before I could recruit soldiers, I seemed to manage just fine by having one single all-leader party (Rush, Emma, Baulson).

<3 Emma.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Until you have enough people to sustain 3 strong parties, keep 2 and pump them full of people.

Make sure you have a healer (with restore arts) in each party, and you're fine. Rush can use his talisman's special abilities when a team is low on HP, and so can Dave with his Gae Bolg. After a while you have a 3rd leader who can use it...

Spoiler: show
    emmy

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

There's definitely more to accessing the 'Excited' specials than just low-hp. Seems genuinely random a lot of the time.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

its not so random as much as low-hp, hard boss fights, high morale, but ya there's a bit of randomness thrown in there for it as well.

u guys know how to finish the quest in melphina with the doc that asks u for 3 ingreds? i found 2/3 but cant find any parasitic oil? is it from a mob or a mining point?

Someone said that emma gets the gae bolg does that mean david dies? Just wondering if I should stop leveling him up

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme View Post
    Someone said that emma gets the gae bolg does that mean david dies? Just wondering if I should stop leveling him up
    Play with the story characters, you're doing fine.

Oh god I ran into this thing called the Eye of Damnation during this quest in the castle for earrings. Took literally an hour to kill it my Brave was 25 after the fight ( I think thats your level?) Was I just unlucky to run into this thing during a quest? Seems way over leveled for its area. . .

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

i never did find the eye of damnation where did u get him to spawn?

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I was finally able to recruit soldiers so right now I have 3 parties of 3 people each. I was wandering around Blackdale and I went down the one zone that leads deeper into Blackdale. I was shocked when I wasn't wrecking through the spiders. I didn't realize that section of the area was so much more higher leveled than the other section. I also ran into an NM in the Ivory Sands(I think that's the name) section. I didn't see the name but it was black with a scorpion tail and a man's upper torso. Albeit a very deformed man's upper torso.

Other than that I've only run into an NM Bee in the caves at the beginning and three frogs in the castle ruins from the beginning. No drops from any of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast