• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Flickering headgear, really annoying o.o

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=504N95A8

short video (5 seconds) i took of the problem i'm having

basically, my problem is that any head equipment seems to flicker right at the back regardless of the piece of gear that it is. However, it seems to be the worst on chapeau type headgear and as i'm a red mage you could see how after a while this starts to get really annoying.

My computer is only a few weeks old, i was having some trouble with it crashing (black screen, music lock up, no BSOD. oddly enough my other computer was doing this which is the reason i bought a new one in the first place- imagine my headaches..) every once and a while which then turned in to every 5 minutes. I reseated the ram and the problem seems to have gone away but i'm wondering maybe if the ram could be the reason for this too although honestly i think its something to do with the graphics card, since its well..graphicy? o.o but i cant find different drivers and have the latest ones

Ive tried turning off antialiasing and anisotropic filtering as well as i heard suggested in several other threads that came up on google, nothing seems to work. In fact, no settings in there seems to have any impact on the game at all, heh

also, this isnt a installation thing since i have reinstalled (and forgot to back up my macros which caused a whole other headache)

system specs:

vista 32bit
    evga nforce 750i SLI
    intel core 2 quad cpu q9550 @ 2.83ghz 2.83ghz
    3 gigs of ram(think it should be 4 but 3 is showing up o.O?)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280

Also as a side thing, i have my graphics set as high as i know how to do them (registry values etc) yet it still looks better with my brothers 260 so iunno, any suggestions? this computer is really driving me mad lol

thanks

edit: forgot to mention its worse in some areas than others

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kychuli View Post
    Also as a side thing, i have my graphics set as high as i know how to do them (registry values etc) yet it still looks better with my brothers 260 so iunno, any suggestions? this computer is really driving me mad lol
    There's a very fair chance of this being caused by the resolution you're using. I also encounter flickering at times in certain areas, and it's most likely because FFXI was never tested at these higher resolutions by SE. Even though the engine is capable of displaying them, models and textures were not run through these settings before or after the game was released. Thus, you'll experience things like your hats z-fighting.

It is a bug, but because it's related to the game itself, there is no real "fix" outside of changing your resolution. I just put up with it, since the rest of the game looks fantastic and the FFXI GUI settings are garbage.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Thanks for the reply ^^ z-fighting, least theres a name for it lol

suppose i'll just put up with it since i cant see myself lowering any settings

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Yeah I get this too, especially on the new Manthra's jacket in the WotG Windy storyline CS's.