BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lor'enzo Sasha
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I bought something from SE and now I'm QQ'ing

@Mods: Please move this thread to the correct forum if this one is incorrect.

Hi everyone, just wanted to post a QQ e-mail I'm sending back to SE in counter reply to their reply to my complaint of a ring I bought from them about a month ago and got (predictably) inattentive service and a bigger doubt to the quality products we fans shell out our hard earned cash for. And yes... they took the better part of 1-2 weeks to answer between emails....

---- start QQ mail (click on spoiler for wall of text... warning will induce tl;dr)----
    Spoiler: show

Thank you for answering Square-Enix Customer Support

I'm afraid to report that I am not content with the answer provided, as I have other 925 sterling silver jewelry that has taken years to tarnish/show signs of de-coloration with daily use and little to no maintenance provided; compared to this ring which I noticed began tarnishing within two weeks of being received and daily wear.

I will read the website as suggested, and will use those care instructions; but I am certain that this will not return the shine that it had the first day (as received).

Again, to reiterate:
    I have noticed expedited and increased tarnish and decoloration of one (1) FINAL FANTASY XI Silver Ring SAN D'ORIA size 19 within a two week period of daily wear, noticeable within days of the product being received; no corrosive agents/liquids/substances have been handled before, during or after the wearing this piece of jewelry.
    The tarnish/discoloration from silver to black is highly visible in the internal side of the ring (toroid) covering mostly the S.V.925 (c)S.E. which appears oposite of the inscription "The Kingdom of San d'Oria" (area which appears whole and unblemished) almost perfectly half of the ring in question.
    Also, there is light tarnishing on the external side of the ring corresponding almost exactly the location of the internal discoloration.
    Lastly, noticeable discoloration is also visible along the internal edges of the ring matching the same discolored/tarnished area previously described.
    I have begun to question the purity of the silver used on this piece of jewelry, and the validity of the S.V.925 stamp as I own other pieces of jewelry that have taken up to years to gather stain or lose shine.
    Please review pictures of said ring at the following hyperlinks
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g/tring001.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g/tring002.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...g/tring002.jpg

I would hate to take this issue to the Consumer Affairs Board and the Better Business Bureau, and inquire that other dissapointed Square Enix customers have experienced similar issue from a company known for great service and products.

I'd appreciate any information of possible solutions to this issue.

-Insert name and email signature here

----- Original Message ----
    To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx <[email protected]>
    Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 5:44:12 PM
    Subject: RE: Re: [SQUARE ENIX Official Online Merchandise Store]Order confirmation (#xxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxx)

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX Customer Support,

As a nature of SILVER 925 jewelry, the corrosion, tarnish, decoloration will happen if its not been taken care of properly.
    Same as regular SILVER 925 accessories, polishing with ?non-abrasive silver polishing cloth" once in a while will maintain the shine of the jewelry.It is not our official information, but below is one of the easy-to-access information of how to maintenance the SILVER 925 jewelry.

http://www.solid925silver.com/taking...y/info_19.html

Also a contact with any kind of chemicals (hair gels, perfume spray, salt water, or sometimes just a humidity) could cause the corrosion.

Thanks,
    Neil- SQUARE ENIX Customer Support
    www.square-enix.com

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sep 16, 2008 9:29:14 AM
    Subject: Re: [SQUARE ENIX Official Online Merchandise Store]Order confirmation (#xxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxx)

Hello Customer Support

I have experienced decoloration of a silver ring I purchased one (1) month ago and received two (2) weeks ago.
    The decoloration occurs on the outer side of the ring and on the inner side oposite to the inscription "the kingdom of san d'oria", in that same area there is noticeable discoloration fading to a black metal on the internal corners of the ring.

Is this intended (low quality/quantity silver content) or is this a possible case of shoddy craftsmanship in your product.

Please advise.

----- Original Message ----
    From: SQUARE ENIX Merchandise Support <[email protected]>
    To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx <[email protected]>
    Sent: Monday, September 8, 2008 2:05:09 PM
    Subject: Re: [SQUARE ENIX Official Online Merchandise Store]Order confirmation (#xxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxx)

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX Customer Support,

We appreciate your feedback regarding the online store. We apologize your experience was not what you were hoping for. We cherish the support and opinion from our customers and look forward to hearing your remarks regarding our upcoming projects.

Thanks,
    Christine- SQUARE ENIX Customer Support
    www.square-enix.com

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sep 5, 2008 9:50:06 AM
    Subject: SUSPECT: Re: SUSPECT: Re: Re: [SQUARE ENIX Official Online Merchandise Store]Order confirmation (#xxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxx)

I have received the package with my order.
    Contents were received correctly as ordered.
    I am satisfied with the product.
    The only complaint I have for this situation is that I never received the tracking number for UPS delivery.

Thank you for your attention.
    ---- end QQ mail ----

As you can see I'm dissapointed both at their lack of attention and the lame quality product... being as there are people out there that forked out the cash for that new pendant because you either like how it looks or you wanted the quick and useful teleports in game.

I cut off another part of the email that was labeled SUSPECT by their customer support team, because I never got a confirmation email on when the ring would arrive or any tracking number and I started mailing them for an ETA or at least any status update... by the time I received the ring I just wanted to break it out of it's jewel case and wear it, no questions asked...

I'm hoping I get a more positive response than last times; to be honest I think I'm gonna get the run around again (and yes, I have tried cleaning it with polish, didnt work)... maybe an offer to replace it (doubtful). I'd seriously consider finding a pro jewler/goldsmith and have the ring remade in platinum or titanium (tho I bet SE would love a cut of that).

Buyer beware!

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Moved to newbie

Sea Torques
    BG Level

How expensive was the ring? Not to be mean or anything, but online gaming companies aren't usually know for their high-end jewelry products.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Same thing happened to my Bastok ring, except worse: most of the 'brass' turned black. If it all turned that way it'd look kind cool I guess, but paying 80 something $ for the damn thing only to have it start to look like shit less than a week after getting it =

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Made in China.

Beholder of Methane
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Bleeding Hollow

brb Tidal Tailsman

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Id be pissed too, im glad they ran out at fanfest before I could buy one. Though im sure it wasnt intended, the tarnishing kinda makes it look more authentic... like youve been in battle

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Wow, 80 bucks? I take back my prior statement, you guys got hosed.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Wait, this shit isn't supposed to tarnish? Just take care of it, I've had to polish/clean off plenty of personal metals every few weeks due to being exposed to the elements. If a common silver polish doesn't do the trick (I recommend Haggerty's Silver Cleaner), then there is definitely a big problem with the Ring.

The only way to make the Ring not tarnish is to put it in a vacuum (or maybe someone knows another way).

Member of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    Wait, this shit isn't supposed to tarnish?
    Not this quickly.

The only way to prevent tarnishing besides the vacuum, is to put a clear coat of paint on the ring. I don't know about most jewelry stores but the one i work at we polish most jewelry no charge, so might try a local jeweler that does repairs. Tarnishing happens at different rates depending on where you live, some places tarnish slowly others practically over night.

Also making the ring in titanium would not be very practical as most jewelers can't even size titanium rings let alone make a custom one. If you did want that ring made in gold it would be very easy for most places just have a mold made and new ring cast.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Or revert the atmosphere to it's pre-industrial revolution state :O

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Maybe if you scrub the ring down real good, you'll find the plastic model they spray painted.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Maybe if you scrub the ring down real good, you'll find the plastic model they spray painted.
    I believe this person is correct. Even more so than the one who works at a jewelry store.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I thought the point of selling collection item is to rip off stupid people who actually collect them?

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The ring I have isn't actual brass, its some other metal thats electroplated with brass. So very slowly the brass is rubbing off, making it look tarnished.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

You can't really spray paint plastic with a metallic finish...and then see it tarnish. That just doesn't happen. Apelila is correct, the ring was most likely electroplated. It could very well be a copper ring electroplated using silver nitrate.

I'm pretty sure by using rough abrasives (i.e. stainless steel wool) while polishing or removing tarnish, it will actually start to strip down the layer of coated metal. That's why you always use a soft cloth when polishing (steel wool is highly effective but I would only recommend using on pure metals, not coated).

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You can't really spray paint plastic with a metallic finish...and then see it tarnish. That just doesn't happen.
    Woosh, I believe.

Always Cabrón!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lor'enzo Sasha
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by ferigor View Post
    How expensive was the ring? Not to be mean or anything, but online gaming companies aren't usually know for their high-end jewelry products.
    It cost me $100 US.
    Just got a response from Squeenix, theyre sending me a FedEx Waybill to send them the ring back and I'll be refunded the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Apelila View Post
    Same thing happened to my Bastok ring, except worse: most of the 'brass' turned black. If it all turned that way it'd look kind cool I guess, but paying 80 something $ for the damn thing only to have it start to look like shit less than a week after getting it =
    Yep, same reason I started QQ'ing... actually my (silver jewelry loving) sister checked the ring out the day I got it and told me "this isnt pure silver"... I thought she was busting my chops like she normally does... oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Made in China.
    Sad but true... it said that in the box it came in.

Wait, this shit isn't supposed to tarnish? Just take care of it, I've had to polish/clean off plenty of personal metals every few weeks due to being exposed to the elements. If a common silver polish doesn't do the trick try Haggerty's Silver Cleaner, then there is definitely a big problem with the Ring.
    The only way to make the Ring not tarnish is to put it in a vacuum (or maybe someone knows another way).
    I know that metals tarnish... but it shouldnt tarnish within 1 week or two of normal wear.
    I did try silver cleaner and it had no effect, it still looks tarnished/worn (see the attached pics in the OP).
    Besides, I previously had a cheapie $10 US ring I bought in a mexican town on vacation... which took the better part of 2 years to tarnish to a dull gray (not black like this one).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    I thought the point of selling collection item is to rip off stupid people who actually collect them?
    lol.... woosh?

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    Woosh, I believe.
    Yea, I took the risk, seeing as this is Newbie Section. Didn't know wooshing was allowed here.