+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rise of the Argonauts     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Rise of the Argonauts

For those looking forward to this title you know the rumors around the web about being pushed to next year, it has been verified by one of their community marketing managers that infact that was just speculation and codemasters hasnt released an actual date and they are in fact shooting for this year for release.

For those who dont know about the game, its an action RPG set in times of greek mytholgy, jason of Ioilcus looses his wife to mercenaries and goes on a quest in search of the golden fleece to revers her death. On the way he meets popular characters in greel mythology to accompany him in his journey and they sail upon the ARGO thus the name argonauts.

http://www.rise-of-the-argonauts.com...lishUK&#/home/

http://community.codemasters.com/for...d.php?t=311214 is for the post by the community manager about release date.

still coming out this year? yay~~~~~

i wonder what the release date will really be, IGN has it at 10/14 (same day as dead space)

really looking forward to this, this game has been way underhyped ;o

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Me and you both have mine paid off at gamestop, it was oct 15th, but im gunna guess it'll be nov.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Finally they announced a date for it Dec 16th for US!

Codemasters forum - ROTA is coming!- Official release dates.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I hate it when you make topics about games that I'm not interested in, because I then read them and get interested in them, and buy them anyway!

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Alina View Post
    I hate it when you make topics about games that I'm not interested in, because I then read them and get interested in them, and buy them anyway!
    You know you love me Alina and I made this while a while back u have time to read it!

can't wait til next week!

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

yeah im excited, i love mythology and the way this game is to be played really appeals to me, I cant wait.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Well I got the game this morning im about 2 hr's in and so far the story is really good, the voice acting isnt perfect but close to it and the combat is enjoyable.

I got my automated call from gamestop last night but they didn't have it when I went to pick it up today. They said to call back tomorrow ;/

This is why I stopped buying games from gamestop (aside from them being an evil corporation that's killing the games industry).

The soundtrack/score always seemed amazing from the trailers, does it have the atmospheric quality I was expecting? Also from your estimation how long is the game? Are there a lot of areas to explore? A lot of sidequests? I'd love to hear your impressions (without spoilers, if you dont mind )

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Thus far the sound track is amazing, the story alone is amazing, mostly because I love mythology, on length im unsure, at this point, and so far most side quests are dialogue based from what I can see.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I've been debating buying this game, since it is described as 'loosely based on the story'.

How loose are we talking about?

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Im not sure there is a loose scale, but it's pretty close to the story in mythology. So far only problem I have is the abilities on the d-pad arent very responsive, well control, makes using it in combat annoying.

Picked up my copy and I'm pretty disappointed, the game didn't get a whole lot of hype compared to some other stuff this year but I held out quite a bit of hope, and it turned out to be pretty damn mediocre.

On the plus side I will say this game does have one of the best score's I've heard in a while, and decent(ish) voice acting, as well as a good story. Graphics, gamplay, framerate, textures, etc all need work, and the game is way too short. They could have made this one of the best games of the year, now I'm not even sure if I'll keep it once I've beaten it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I beat this game in 15 hours of playtime, with what I thought was taking my time.

Spoiler: show
    Horrible map system (not even a friggin onscreen compass, let alone a minimap WTF)
    Zero Ending. 1 minute max of ending scenes, then the credits roll, ON A LOOP. I sat through them hoping I'd get SOMETHING, at least a FIN or THE END, nope, I got to see the credits again.

No penalty for dying, or your fellow Argonauts dying. None. Ohhh, you had to start back from last auto save, which was never more than 2 extra minutes of replay.

Lackluster item/equipment selection.

There were a few scenes where I had to force conversations since Jason would just sit there breathing in and out for minutes with no conversation going -- which also leads me to the poor detail given to Voices -- when the music would get loud it would drown out the conversation. Why? The music would get loud and soft at times for no reason.

Did they even test this game? One of the testers name was Glenn FAILING. yeah, that sums up the QA of this game. There was WAY to much focus on the severing of heads and bodies, which was very very awesome and the only brightspot of the game to me btw, and not enough on what makes a game great. I loved how when finishing an opponent it would do it in slow motion in great detail. That was also awesome. There was just too much bad about this game though to make me want to ever play it again for more than 4 minutes. All the small things that can make or break a game were ignored here, and it just looked like a thrown together last minute mess, with no ending whatsoever.

I've never ranted about a game, or have gone to bed as dissapointed as I was after finishing this game. The only thing that kept me playing until the end were the beheadings and torso seperations and body tossing with spears. Great, GREAT idea for a game, I just wish it had all the small things included to make a great game, but I'd give this game a 2.7/10. Do not buy this game, RENT IT, if you wanna check it out for yourself.

As far as a RPG element to this game? Where was it? I felt like i was playing a RPG more when I used to play L.O.R.D. on BBS's 14 years ago. It was a hack and slash with very minimal actual RPG elements, or moments that would alter the course of the game. everything was pretty much spoon fed and no real 'adventuring'. You're brought to points A-B and B-C etc through cutscenes. Just once I wanted to steer the Argo.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I have to say I am thoroughly disappointed in this game. The music is really the only redeeming thing about it. The combat system isn't even remotely entertaining and ends up being nothing more than button mashing. Terrible game. I would give it a 4/10. And that's all because of the music.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

The story and music are great, but your right about the gameplay, its lame as fuck.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

It's like Dynasty Warriors. You know, but without the fun.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Dynasty warriors is fun? 5+6 have sucked ass ;/ loved 4 tho