Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The future of Crafting     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The future of Crafting

This is more of whats the current outlook on crafting for the times to come (not a qq crafting is dead thread.)

What looks to be the future of this system? Crafting in general isnt what is use 2 years ago (or more.) More and more Rare/EX Armor is being introduced that can easly take the place of many NQ / HQ craftable equipment. The only "real" update the crafting system has had was the addition of the Guild Point system. Other than that crafting has seen only minor changes in the past couple of years.

Let's take alook at our current crafts:

Leathercraft
    Clothcraft
    Smithing
    Goldsmithing
    Alchemy
    Cooking
    Fishing
    Bonecraft
    Woodworking

We can divide these crafts into three sub categories according to the type of items they make

* Equipment Crafts

Leathercraft
    Clothcraft
    Smithing
    Goldsmithing
    Bonecraft

* Multipurpose Crafts

Woodworking
    Alchemy

* Consumable Crafts

Fishing
    Cooking

All crafts (With the exception of Cooking and Fishing) can produce both Equipment and Consumables to some extent. They are placed into there sub category depending on what they specialize in.

Now lets go over how the crafts in the sub categories work out:

Equipment Crafts:
    Currently in this time frame the production of High Quality Equipments makes the most out of these crafts while Normal Quality items may also be made but usually at a break-even or loss with few profits if Normal Quality (Usually depends on the craft and the market.)

Multipurpose Crafts:
    These crafts rely on production of both Equipment and Consumables. Both methods of production are very profitable but this only applies to certain items. Some of these items which are eventaully made less profitable with new items added with updates (See: Silent Oils and Monomi: Ichi.)

Consumable Crafts:
    The Fishing and Cooking crafts fall into this category as they make no type of equipment what so ever. Can be very profitable crafts but profit usually comes when crafting / fishing in bulk and (High Quality foods) In addition to huge time investments for Fishing. Since Food is always needed and Fish make for splendid ingrediants for many cooking recipes, Cooking and Fishing must never worry about becoming useless.

I may not understand everything in the crafting world but from what I currently know this is what I can gather at the moment about crafting today. Any ideas? Thoughs? Suggestions? Etc?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

You forgot to put fishing in any sub-craft list. I'd put it with cooking.

In fact you only listed fishing in the first place because you copied the full list direct from the game... them immediately forgot about it. amirite?

Well actually I completly forgot about Fishing (lol.)

Ill put it in consumables. Im sorry that was a really fucked up move! lol

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

As far as cooking goes, one suggestion Ive heard a few times is to somehow put the effects of the food into the desription. There are a shitload of recipes out there that are completely dead across all servers, and I think that if you were able to read the descriptions of what the food does while browsing them on the auction house, it might be possible to revive some of these dead recipes.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Maguile View Post
    As far as cooking goes, one suggestion Ive heard a few times is to somehow put the effects of the food into the desription. There are a shitload of recipes out there that are completely dead across all servers, and I think that if you were able to read the descriptions of what the food does while browsing them on the auction house, it might be possible to revive some of these dead recipes.
    That would probably help a little, but once people realize most foods have crappy stats, that wouldn't matter and people would stick to mostly kabobs and sushi, just like it has been for the last few years. The problem with food is that nobody is going to use an item that gives {DEX+1 MND-1 RAttk+14%} when there exists another item that gives {STR+5 DEX+6 Acc+15% RAcc+15% Resist Sleep HP+20}.

So cooking is a craft with a huge list of ingredients and with tons of items you can synth, but since noone will buy 99% of the items you can make, hundreds of people end up sharing a very tight market. Farming, or even better fishing your ingredients yields better profit, but also takes more time. I think that's the reason why there still is profit in every major cooking synth.

Generally speaking, crafting is pretty much doomed now that anyone and everyone can level a craft to 100 in a matter of days, get most ingredients from AH and pop tens of originally "rare" synths every day (think dusk hands/feet now, and back when the only source of Behemoth hide was a daily B/KB pop). It's basic supply and demand law applied to an online game : when supply raises faster than demand, prices fall and profit gets thinner.

IMO, equipment crafts profit will get smaller over time, except for a few big ticket items that won't pop often but will always be sought of by rich people (think Armada Hauberk, Dalm +1, rare stuff like that).

Multipurpose crafts (WW and alch) have been limited to HQ cursed gear and mainstream consummables for years, but since SE seems to be hating on these (no new WW items in ages, and the slashing of the sneak/invis market this year) it'll someday be limited to HQ cursed only.

Consumable crafts look like the brightest option in the long run, since they bring slow but steady profit. Problem is they often require a lot of time time that not everybody is ready to spend to make an average profit.

All in all, crafting is sad nowadays :/ I loved the 2004-2005 times a lot more...

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I dont really know the future of crafting other than : with every update more and more synths become worthless with very few new recipes to replace them and for the most part the new synths are worthless items that no sane person would want to buy.

A synth that i used to do was : Adaman Kilij > Beast Slayer, this got replaced by the r.e sword dropped by that tier1 Qiqirn (Its better than the t0 HQ i believe)

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I think the crafting system isn't completely doomed but it's harder and harder to balance. I think SE would probably reconsider implementing crafting for non consumables in any future game. Anything that is is consumed or disposed of in the process of crafting is a good idea but hq armour doesn't work if it never wears out.

If I were hoping to profit enormously from Cloth I'd have stopped a while back and just synthed certain things over and over. It's only because I want to sign my own stuff that I'm still here. I make money from an alchemy mule.

I'd rather synth for an NPC and earn points in a slightly less mindnumbing fashion than we do for GP and earn the ability to buy mats or armour that way than deal with the AH. You could craft for the war effort in the past (more than the campaign ops...) or something. High level crafters do leave the game but more and more they're 'recycled' as the accounts are bought and sold.

Problem really is, anything players can make money out of, so can RMT. The more money, the more RMT related issues come out of it.

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Oddly I'm enjoying crafting now more than I was years ago. Finding synths that no one else is doing, finding little holes here and there I can take advantage of for a while... It also helps that I now have so many more crafts I can do (and I do my subs on all my mules, which helps a lot as well).

Also, I'm the type of crafter who is willing to do the "grunt work" for other crafters -- ores to ingots, threads to cloth, logs to lumber, whatever. I'd rather do 50 synths for a small profit each than do one big synth and risk it all on one roll. I also enjoy being able to take advantage of all the idiots PLing a craft to 100. :E

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle View Post
    Also, I'm the type of crafter who is willing to do the "grunt work" for other crafters -- ores to ingots, threads to cloth, logs to lumber, whatever.
    Seems to me that most people don't do that, and that is the reason why it's usually profitable to skill-up subs, and use them as a money-maker. And I like that

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle View Post
    I also enjoy being able to take advantage of all the idiots PLing a craft to 100.
    This, and selling the GP items of the day, has been true for years, and is still nowadays. And I like that as well

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Cooking is such a joke now. Unless you have fishing lvld up to catch your own sole/squid, gil sellers push down price for sushi so low that you're losing money every synth. HQs hardly even yield anything anymore nowadays.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by ertyu View Post
    Cooking is such a joke now. Unless you have fishing lvld up to catch your own sole/squid, gil sellers push down price for sushi so low that you're losing money every synth. HQs hardly even yield anything anymore nowadays.
    It's not that bad on my server (yet ?) but what annoys me is the horrible HQ rate with Sole Sushi. It's supposed to be a T1 synth, but behaves more like a T0 one :/ My HQ rate in the last 2 months is :

Synths : 1151
    NQ : 90.2%
    HQ1 : 4.62%
    HQ2 : 0.86%
    HQ3 : 0%
    Break : 4.31%

For the record, my HQ rate on all other T1 synths is 10.31%. Having that kind of rate on sole sushi would make it a little bit less boring to synth stacks and stacks of soles every day :/

If I remember, Sushi isnt the only food Cooking makes

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Antithesis G View Post
    If I remember, Sushi isnt the only food Cooking makes
    Sure isn't, but it's a food they used to sell very fast and for a good profit. Which is why cooks bitch about it being fucked up lately

Sole Sushi is what everyone usually buys but there are at least 3 other sushi's I know of that are worth making and buying.

Its like other crafts. People only think about making the items that everyone else is making (LC: Dusk, CC: Zenith, Cooking: Sushi) withouth ever thinking about other things.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Sole Sushi is what everyone usually buys but there are at least 3 other sushi's I know of that are worth making and buying.

Its like other crafts. People only think about making the items that everyone else is making (LC: Dusk, CC: Zenith, Cooking: Sushi) withouth ever thinking about other things.
    Look at your AH and you'll notice that some people actually craft all kind of items and know they can make money off of it in the process. There's more to crafting than reading what synths pop in the Amazing Synths thread, you know.

Im not a Tekki fapper =(

His HQ's mean nothing to me!

edit: Also yeah thats the point I am trying to make. There is more to crafting than what meets the eye.

edit#2: Inb4TRANSFORMERS MORE THANMEETS THE EYE.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

There is more to crafting than what meets the eye.
    Exactly

edit: Also yeah thats the point I am trying to make. There is more to crafting than what meets the eye.

edit#2: Inb4TRANSFORMERS MORE THANMEETS THE EYE.
    Que: "Touch" from the '86 movie for HQers

Quote Originally Posted by vegetaa View Post
    It's not that bad on my server (yet ?) but what annoys me is the horrible HQ rate with Sole Sushi. It's supposed to be a T1 synth, but behaves more like a T0 one :/ My HQ rate in the last 2 months is :

Synths : 1151
    NQ : 90.2%
    HQ1 : 4.62%
    HQ2 : 0.86%
    HQ3 : 0%
    Break : 4.31%

For the record, my HQ rate on all other T1 synths is 10.31%. Having that kind of rate on sole sushi would make it a little bit less boring to synth stacks and stacks of soles every day :/
    may i sugest change you name or make a new mule calle dhjfffshyyj i predict a two fold rise in you HQ rates if you synth naked outside jeuno AH and also must be taru and /anon with the title greedalox... :D

Hog

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Roaringhedgehog View Post
    may i sugest change you name or make a new mule calle dhjfffshyyj i predict a two fold rise in you HQ rates if you synth naked outside jeuno AH and also must be taru and /anon with the title greedalox... :D

Hog
    LMFAO that's so true...and so sad :/