+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .hack MMO?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

.hack MMO?

I recently (everyone probably already knows this but I'm posting anyway BECAUSE I CAN) found out that some people (CC Corp IRL or something I think) are trying to create a .hack MMO?

Apparently the graphics are shitty and they don't have too much funding but I saw some trailer and well... kind of dissapointed, hoping that they get new graphics <_<. Personally, I liked the graphics from the //infection-//quarantine series.

Anyway, DISCUSS PLEASE kthnx.

P.S.: Found someone who was trying to make the goggles as well... Post is old as shit but I'm going to try and create an account on there soon and maybe send him a PM or e-mail if he has it up there.

Huge copy&paste of the goggle making guy's post in spoiler, link to it under.
    Spoiler: show
    Well I'm glad I wandered to this thread.

About 6 months ago me and 8 friends started working on a .hack mmorpg. I am the lead programmer and designer of this group. I am an electrical engineer by profession and programming is my hobby. Anyways...Don't know what to touch on first.

The 3d Goggles seen in .hack- I have been working on a prototype and it is close to finished, it is not a 3-d environment that you enter by wearing them but. It is a high resolution flat panel screen that surrounds the eyes starting from the upper ridge of the eye socket and ends at the halfway point on the nose ridge. In a bubble type fashion mimicking IMAX. At its furthest point it spans an inch in width from the horizontal center eye line. For the most part the screen is beautiful except for the beginning of peripheral vision all around at which it becomes blurred. Here is where me and one of my friends got creative. the peripheral of the goggles is covered with a small array of low intensity beams numbering about 80 the line the outer edge of the screen. When the unit detects a reflection of the iris which is done by the light blue light which when shot through the iris changes color slightly the camera pans in that direction slowly which with my program can be slowed or sped up. (this is for first person view only) And on the outside is a function that can be enabled or disabled as it actually can be straining. A small 2" X 2" fixtures is placed on the top of the computer screen that emits a thin red laser that spans vertically at about an inch, its really just a light. the small red laser focuses its point of origin at the eyeline of the outside of the goggles which is where you can see a small green slit of only about 15 sensors that tell the goggles what direction your head is facing in orientation to the computer screen allowing you to pan much faster and feel like you are inside the world. Thats the main focus points of that =). It currently is working to an extent. the 2 things we are having trouble with is people with blue eyes and the eye disease where your eyes are mis shaped, don't know what its called but someone we tested it on had it and it would not work well at all >.<, only register panning to one side when using the peripheral. I rigged it up to a FPS game i programmed and it was awesome. Really needs to be able to pan up and down externally. On a test of 15 people 13 worked without a hitch and the 2 were the problems i just mentioned. But yeah its an expensive toy cost me $1386.19 to make but thats because a lot of it was custom ordered parts and materials hopefully mass production will mark it down a hefty amount. Oh and forgot to mention it has a microphone on it which ill explain in part 2

Anyways on another note.

We are working on a .hack mmorpg, should be done within 6 months to a year, not fully, we only have to make a few areas and the character creation to show bandai to get full in on a .hack project. Hopefully the goggles will seal the deal tho lol. Anyways yeah communication will be both typing and verbal. typing is for people who dont use the goggles and for people who use the translate function one of the programmers is working on.

Cool Features
    Controller ready, designate what button does what

Voice communication, using available templates your voice is altered when speaking through a mic and transmitted through the game altered. What is cool is most voices are different so one template does'nt make everyone's voice sound the same. hold trigger on controller to talk to small vicinity, or party.

Voice activation, spells, skills, macro and item usage will all be voice activated, when you get something new you will be prompted to record a verbal command to activate its usage whenever you are ok to do so. Which will be saved on your computer to help the bandwith issues the above feature will cause. hold trigger to ready this feature (different button on controller from above.)

WEll im tired of typing just taking a break from typing code and typing something else probably was'nt really a break.

Yeah but we will be beta testing soon, with 3 months hopefully. message me on here because we will need about 30 testers, just leave an email address or a screen name for aim.

Peace

LINK: http://forum.anipike.com/archive/index.php/t-3931.html

Some posts down.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I'll pass. Seems like everyone is trying to get into MMO's.

Banned.

BG Level

Thing about a .hack MMO is that .hack's gameplay wasn't the best thing about those games. The sense of exploration/revelation, interesting characters with unique yet fictional personalities, and the storyline would all be cut out. Now I remember .hack making me grind through the same repetitive formula for four games. While the gameplay was fun enough, it certainly wasn't the highlight. For a .hack MMO to be good it would have to reinvent itself. As is it is basically bottom of the barrel korean mmo.

I speak only of the original series.

EDIT: Honestly, a Monster Hunter MMO is what you probably want. That's the closest thing I can think of.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I'd probably rather play Kotor since its being done by BIOWARE and maybe fallout once again being done by the orig developer, interplay, nice try tho.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

There already was an MMO http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Fr%C3%A4gment
    It failed, sorta, I doubt anyone will be making another any time soon though.

Id love to see a good one myself though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'd love to play it if it was any good.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

was gonna mention fragment myself but seph beat me to it. all i know is it didn't do very well and lasted only a few months. pretty sure it had a feature to make your own dungeons too which i thought was pretty neat. (can't wait till ffxi gets that ^^). if anything i'd like to see a digimon mmo made.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Yeah I noticed fragment before it came out and it wasn't what I was looking for.

But I figured it would be awesome if "The World" came out IRL with that helm/goggles shit and ohman I can only dream~

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

i get what your trying to say now. having a mmo that ran like the world does with the vr googles and everything would indeed kick ass. thing is though the vr tech for something like the world isn't anywhere near being cheap enough just yet to be able to pull something like that off. if i remember reading right playing through .hack, the googles in the game sold for a few hundred dollars in the game. Now if someone could make them and have em cost under 100-150 dollars tops and make a mmo that uses all that tech the world has to play it, then yes a mmo like the world could be possible.

Banned.

BG Level

The MMO in .Hack is pretty far out there. It is more than visual stimulation.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

People's have wanted a .hack mmo for ages... I liked the single player-mmo game experience, but I don't think it would translate well into a mmo w/all the competition out there today. To make a new & successful MMO you need to be able to bring something diff to the field, not create an new mmo based on an old design and just revamp it. And I don't see a .hack licensed game (unless they went outside of the lore) offering something diff that would appease a general audience & not just the .hack fans.