Closed Thread
Page 57 of 217 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 107 ... LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Ohemgee View Post
    The moment I hit 50 on Rift or 75 on FFXI (pre-cap raise), I was bored. Merit parties and T1/2 dungeon raids were so routine that it drove me to quit sooner than expected.
    You had me going for awhile but lost me here. Honestly not to derail this into a XI vs TOR thread but hitting 75 for the first time in XI with the old XP system was probably one of my biggest gaming accomplishments. Getting there was the "boring" part but once you hit 75 in that game there was so much for you to do... I just don't understand how grinding levels was the non-boring part and then when you hit 75 you were immediately bored.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Well you're right in many ways. But the way I said it I wasn't clear on what I meant (and I wanted to write more but I was tired). I retract to a degree on what I meant dinging 75 meant in FFXI.

FFXI was a great experience 1-75 the first time around. After 75, you did your shit and completed your missions etc etc. After about a month, everything from merits, sky, sea, limbus, dynamis was boring to me and felt like a never ending grind. You can argue that replay factor made it "good" or gear to look forward to, but its still limiting in its own right that was kind of boring in retrospect.

The goal for SWTOR will more than likely expand on the base content as much as possible. FF lore and SW are overly familiar with Avatars/Eons/etc that you know from previous incarnations. So to say "Ixion is coming to FFXI" or "You will fight waves of Sith Warriors up to the Sith Lord" - then it gives you that little nostalgia factor that makes it a bit better than anything Rift has done.

But dinging 75 on multiple jobs became a tax on the game than a luxury after a while.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

FFXI was a great experience 1-75 the first time around.
    You had me going for awhile but lost me here. Even on the first job, leveling in FFXI was a pretty retarded grind. It was basically fight crabs and pugils here for X hours, than fight crabs and pugils here for X hours, etc. There was no story advancement while leveling, no challenging or interesting combat, it was just lfg>grind>lfg>grind>etc. If you wanted to do quests in-between, they were both boring and generally pointless. Just about the only rewarding thing about leveling was seeing new zones as you came across them, and getting your new spells/abilities. If that's your idea of a 'great experience', it's hard to take your assessment of SWTORs leveling seriously.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

You really never had a good LS to do that with then. I had a good time D:

Its kind of hard to imagine not to do something with someone in an MMORPG. What you see as a xp grind (in which it was), you're ignoring the mechanics behind every party. And without arguing about FFXI, it was a lot more engaging and challenging (and fun) than most xp grinds.

Loved hitting 75 in FFXI. I played it from launch until 2009-ish. I had the 2nd Ridill on our server after the JPs, and I was the first 75BST (2004 summer) and one of the few high level NA BSTs in general, so it was special. Exp'ing back then was fun if you had the gear to run Ridill-only (rdm and brd too), weapons burn, parties.

You have to factor in the social aspect to these accomplishments (rarity/prestige factor - yes i know, it's a video game, but still in the contrived sense of self-importance, thats how it was).

Kind of makes me miss it. Wait no, waste of life!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

FFXI was a great experience 1-75 the first time around. After 75, you did your shit and completed your missions etc etc. After about a month, everything from merits, sky, sea, limbus, dynamis was boring to me and felt like a never ending grind.
    A month? Really? Do you play content one time and then say "been there, done that" and never touch it again? If so, how can you tout TOR as "the best MMO ever" when some of the endgame content is just a "hard mode" rehash of story content? I'm sure that will be really interesting to play over and over again...

Seriously how am I supposed to believe your sentiments that TOR will be the best MMO ever when you're making such ridiculous statements about an MMO that not only most people here have played throughly but is the reason why this forum was created in the first place?

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I guess me saying "retrospect" and doing end game for years means that I never touch things again.

Did I say it will be the best MMO ever? And now you're just attacking someone who has played the same game you're talking about (FFXI). I don't think you're fully looking over what I'm saying and just want to attack me on my view points. But really, the same people that made this forum quit FFXI to do other shit. Go figure huh?

Yarglebargle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's probably just me but Space Combat was the most disappointing thing by far... I just... /sigh.

After playing SWG and having the best thing about that game be the space combat and pvp, I had extremely high hopes for TOR in that aspect, but it's just an average rail shooter. It's nostalgic in the sense that it's kinda like the old arcade SW game but I was expecting much much more. It's challenging at least, but definitely a let down.

EDIT: By the way, to anybody who pre-ordered from GameStop online, do you pay the $150 up front or is there a down payment or something? I don't buy a lot of things online so I wasn't sure about it and I want the CE but I don't have the cash atm.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Kuishen View Post
    It's probably just me but Space Combat was the most disappointing thing by far... I just... /sigh.

After playing SWG and having the best thing about that game be the space combat and pvp, I had extremely high hopes for TOR in that aspect, but it's just an average rail shooter. It's nostalgic in the sense that it's kinda like the old arcade SW game but I was expecting much much more. It's challenging at least, but definitely a let down.

EDIT: By the way, to anybody who pre-ordered from GameStop online, do you pay the $150 up front or is there a down payment or something? I don't buy a lot of things online so I wasn't sure about it and I want the CE but I don't have the cash atm.
    You put down a deposit..... it all depends on how much the item costs.

I think for the CE, its $20.... I know for consoles its $50 down.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Did I say it will be the best MMO ever?
    Actually, you did....

SWTOR will be the greatest MMO period.
    ....it's what your entire post on the last page is based around. Did you forget?

got an invite this morning, looks like a new batch of them went out so check your spam folders/inbox

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Here is some video footage of Hutball, one of the PVP mini games.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Also has a bunch more TOR stuff on his channel.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by volcanicweather View Post
    Actually, you did....

....it's what your entire post on the last page is based around. Did you forget?

Oh I was half drunk and didn't re-read. Either way you're trying really hard to defend yourself and attack me over (the greatest) MMO.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Oh I was half drunk and didn't re-read. Either way you're trying really hard to defend yourself and attack me over (the greatest) MMO.
    Given the anal tearing you got from the last post he made, I'd like to suggest you just stop now.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Cool PVP, but holy hell at stupid teammates

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroikage View Post
    Given the anal tearing you got from the last post he made, I'd like to suggest you just stop now.
    Really? Can't I be excited to compare two experiences I had with Rift and FFXI and not be honestly enthused for this to come out?

Rift is a toss out because that shit was boring. But the entire FFXI comment was a retrospective look that he took as an immediate action.

Any word on what early access means for the BioWare preorders now that they're staggering the initial release?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Any word on what early access means for the BioWare preorders now that they're staggering the initial release?
    Basically its like any other head start program. Several days or a week or 2 (Bioware doesn't have specifics yet) you'll be able to start playing the retail game before the official launch date. The earlier you redeem your preorder code the earlier you get to play. Specifically how much earlier compared to somebody who registers their game really late is still unknown, since we don't know how long before retail early access is going to begin.

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

They haven't released any server listings (as far as how many PvP to PvE) yet?

It makes sense on a technical standpoint to stagger the retail release. Any # of active reserves?

Closed Thread
Page 57 of 217 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 107 ... LastLast