Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

Early Bird Catches the Wyrm

So I've seen the old topics, saw the 6-man, even have done the fight once in the past with an exp group. But now I'm trying to run it on my own with an inexperienced group (only wyrm we've seen is Ouryu).

Help me out and walk me through this please. I was thinking I have a grasp but then I see people talking about RNG with fire resist. It's an obvious thing once said but I wouldn't have pieced it together.

SO. What're the basic basic things needed? I know positioning, and I know we want to try for damage in the air to get him down fast after 70%. We also only have about 12 people, many have BLM though. PLD/NIN/RDM tanks? How important are RNG? How should stun be handled? Are there some merits that are especially important?

Actually let me pose a simpler question: how viable is it with no Sky gear? I mean literally none.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

most important thing is to have a proper tank pt. pld or nin, both work. give them whm brd smn rdm and they should be fine. if your tank pt dies, you'll die. after that is secure, start to get dmg pts. two melee dd for making sc on 70 ish % (sam is obvious first choice but everything goes), 3-4 blm for nukega and 2-3 rng/sam. you don't need rngs if you can rep them with blms and doing only 1 run so all can use 2hr. 1 or 2 rdm/drk to css it while it's in air is also very nice to have and makes it way easier.

if i'd be you, i'd try to get 14-15 people. because if you really don't do it low man, you automaticly need more people to keep everyone alive etc. also you say that you don't have any experience, which makes it very risky to only go with 1 tank.

2 tanks
    2 whm
    3 rdm (1x /drk)
    1 brd
    1 smn
    2 sam
    2 blm
    2 rng (/sam)

is a pretty solid setup if you are unexperienced and rather play it safe. i can't tell you about the no sky gear part, as i don't know what everyone else is using for the fight (i'm rng there). our members are decked out so the only difference for us is having a relic in or not.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If you wanna play it ultra safe...

You could go with a solid tank pt (2 plds, brd, whm, rdm yadayada)
    1 blu that can do light or 2 dds that can do light.
    Everything else blm, or as many as you can get with cor or brd in their pt. Stop damage at 75ish percent (Yes, I did say ultra safe). Do the light sc, burst II, thundaga III, thunder IV, FLood II... all you can throw at it (after bursting the sc).
    Odds are it won't stay in the air more than 1min.

Oh and make sure to have 2 curaga able persons per pt for DS CuragaII after flame blast or whatever move it does when it flies.

Good luck.

All I have to add is don't have your whole alliance go charging in. Send in a PLD to turn it away from the entrance, whole alliances have wiped to breath before even engaging.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

you don't even really need a pld or nin to do it unless you want to be super safe.

WAR/NIN DRK/NIN etc all works fine

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue View Post
    All I have to add is don't have your whole alliance go charging in. Send in a PLD to turn it away from the entrance, whole alliances have wiped to breath before even engaging.
    lol yeah forgot that. Super important... choose your sacrificial lamb wisely!

And also try to have him not engage until everyone is on paws, for the same reasons... because feeding it tp when people aren't ready will result in the same thing.

Something witty
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Make sure no one is standing directly in front of him, flame breath will seriously hurt (note: the tp move on the ground, not the annoying moves in the air). Also he often opens with this move when aggrod so, along the lines of ultra safe mode, have a smn send in levi to aggro, or your tank, while everyone waits way back out of range, cause he shoots that right down the entrance tunnel. Actually if it wasn't such an issue it's pretty funny watching half a dozen people that were too close suddenly keel over from it when you enter hehe.

Edit, shuemue beat me to the punch.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

the melee dds should move out of range when it's in the air to not get hit by the fire stuff. dmg it to 70% ish, sc mb unleash hell and it should be down to ground before 2hrs wear off (if you use any). after that it's just staying alive, keep mp up and chip the hp off.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hmm 12 people, with no sky gear at all....lets see here

2 nin/drks (rdm or pld is fine too but extra stuns is helpful for lowman, shouldn't need fire resist cause it aint gonna be in the air long enough...hopefully)
    1 rdm/drk
    1 whm
    2 brd (one for tank pt, one for blm pt cor works great for blm pt)
    4 blms (or 3 blms and one smn or sch for AoE stoneskin and healing potential)
    1 sam
    1 rng (who is maybe /sam or brings a icarus wing...you really want a rng for this, cause its important to knock the shit out the sky asap)

Send in a tank when fight starts, breath at start will really fuck your day all up if it kills everyone lol. set everyone up on the feet and get to hate building, but dont have melee engage. Once hate is establish let the 2 melee wither it down to about 78% (SC at 75% could cause it to fly before SC is complete) and you can have the sam Sekkanoki > Yuki > gekko then MB with burst 2 from blms.

Should be in the air at this point, a big thing to point out, typically is that those Fire balls hurt, and if someone runs out the circle with hate (shouldn't happen, but did happen the few times i've done it) drawn-ins occur and can really mother fuck you, so be careful. Have the rng do a self SC (Frag SC: Blast shot > Sidewinder...can have the sam shikikiyo the rng if he doesnt have /sam or cant use wing,) and let the blms nuke it out the sky. should drop to the ground now, let hate settle back down (i'm sure it might have gotten shifty from 2 MBs back to back on blms) and just fight the rest out.
    SC > MB when you can and it should all be gravy.

Make sure your tanks have a terror macro, cause its gonna happen. 2 healers is ideal, rdm whm brd back line is more than enough for tank PT, sch is very useful for this fight with AoE stoneskin and being able to MB/heal.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

If you have a tank with a Fire resist build (which can be obtained without any Sky drops, just requires some leg work), and you don't need tons of resistance for this fight, it's very easy with a few BLMs and some healing support.

We've done it with 11 people very safely and without 2 hours, just fought it like a normal Wyrm until 70% when we had 2 melee do a Light Skillchain and 3 BLMs MB it to force it in the air. After that the PLD (me) swapped to Fire Resist and enmity gear. The WHM kept Barfira and a BRD kept Fire Carol on me and I was able to hold it very easily while the 3 BLMs would run in, nuke it until they were out of MP (while keeping Stoneskin up of course) and rest.

I think our setup was BLMx3, WHM RDM BRD PLD, WHM SAM SAM WAR (BRD swapped into the BLM PT for Ballad, then back to the tank PT)

Not the fastest method, but he's a baby in the air with a decent Fire Resist setup and Carol/Barfira, the PLD can easily handle his own healing. I think I had 125 Resist + Carol and Barspells (I have more but kept swapping in more Enmity when I was resisting well over 90%, taking 24 damage/hit) and you could probably go with less, I just never bothered to push it down lower since hate wasn't really a problem.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

What's the required gear value for the 90% resist threshhold?

Somewhere around 250-270 for wyrm in my experience, I was above 90% w/o carol

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

No, I just mean the value from equipment alone, not barfire or carol.

well barfira w/ relic legs is ~120, carol is 50, so if you're getting both you'd need around 100.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post
    Depends on your WHM or RDM's Barfira and if the BRD uses HQ Carol Horn, that can drastically change how much gear you need or don't need to hit that value. (You can't get enough from equipment alone)

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by devildrifterX View Post
    Make sure your tanks have a terror macro, cause its gonna happen.
    I know what terror is, but I don't know the Terror Macro.

From what I've seen here and what we have, I think this is what we'll field.

NIN/DRK
    PLD/?
    BRD/WHM
    SCH/RDM
    RDM/DRK
    WHM/BLM

BLMx3
    COR
    BLU
    RDM or RNG?

This seems like the ideal with what we have (no 2nd NIN, no SAMs) Thoughts?

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue View Post
    Oh God this is the funniest thing I've ever seen in FFXI. I laughed so hard that I couldn't even tank the rest of the fight.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde View Post

I typically had like 155 resist or something but I think I've seen it done with tanks using like 130ish? I don't know what the lowest this is doable with, but it shouldn't be too hard to get about 130.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

its essentially just a macro that slaps in all your -physical dmg taken. It would just be like an earth staff, arhats head and body, jelly ring, denali gloves, and if your tanks have some uber nice gear, maybe a shadow mantle and d.ring.

most likely you'll have about 35-42% -physical dmg taken, which while it might not seem like that much, 1/3 to even no dmg (assuming proc of mantle) of the dmg shaved helps alot, especially in low man events.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by devildrifterX View Post
    its essentially just a macro that slaps in all your -physical dmg taken. It would just be like an earth staff, arhats head and body, jelly ring, denali gloves, and if your tanks have some uber nice gear, maybe a shadow mantle and d.ring.

most likely you'll have about 35-42% -physical dmg taken, which while it might not seem like that much, 1/3 to even no dmg (assuming proc of mantle) of the dmg shaved helps alot, especially in low man events.
    This would have to go before the TP move as well, right? Is there enough broadcast to get it in usually?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthu View Post
    This would have to go before the TP move as well, right? Is there enough broadcast to get it in usually?
    You can gear swapped whiled terrorized so thats not an issue.