+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

House Democrats plan second economic stimulus package.

From Deirdre Walsh
    CNN Congressional Producer

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- House Democratic leaders are putting together a second economic stimulus package that could cost as much as $150 billion, according to Democratic leadership aides.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has said the economic crisis may warrant a $150 billion stimulus package.

The aides said Democrats are likely to call Congress back shortly after the election to vote on the measure.

The details are still in flux, but one aide said the price tag would be "somewhat north of $100 billion" and would include "a heavy emphasis on help to state and local governments."

One way to help states would be to fund the mandatory state match for Medicaid programs so that states would not have to slash education and other programs to cover it.

Before Congress recessed last week for the election, the House of Representatives passed economic aid measures totaling $61 billion to fund infrastructure projects, money for states' Medicaid costs, and unemployment assistance.

But these bills failed to attract enough support in the Senate, and the White House opposed them.

"With all that happened in the past few weeks, it probably has to be more like ... $150 billion to invest in our economy, to create jobs, to help the states, to help men and women across the country," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said Wednesday while traveling in Denver, Colorado.

These aides indicated that in addition to aid to states struggling with their budgets, the package could include things similar to what the House passed before, such as infrastructure money, an extension of unemployment benefits, food stamps and more money for low-income energy assistance.

House Republican leadership aides said that GOP members have not been consulted on the details of a second stimulus. One of these aides said, "We're not necessarily opposed to it out of hand. We would ask, is it truly stimulative? Is it really going to help stimulate the economy?"

A Senate GOP leadership aide said Republicans are skeptical of a second stimulus but did not suggest there is outright opposition to another package.

Jim Manley, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, left the door open to the Senate taking up a bill.

"Sen. Reid tried to pass a second economic recovery bill last month, only to be obstructed by Senate Republicans," Manley said. "Recent developments only reinforce the need for additional action to reinvigorate the economy. We will work with the House of Representatives and leave all options open to address this issue."
    So if it does goes through, what will you be buying/doing with it?!

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Hookers and blow

edit: Maybe they could include college kids in this one, we're poor too.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Car window tint.... car payments.

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

gil of course

Black Belt
    BG Level

ticket to cuba or venezuela

Anything that doesn't benefit US companies

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Bagel View Post
    gil of course
    HAHA Bagel.

Don't know, I want it in my hands first, will decide after that. Ill spend a bit of it on a few books I've had my eye on.

guns and corrosive ammo

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ahhhhhh we can't figure this shit out quick throw money at it!!!!

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Sythe View Post
    Ahhhhhh we can't figure this shit out quick throw money at it!!!!
    Throw some ridillz at it.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Same thing I did with the last one. Pay bills and have no fun

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Stimulus package is not really much of a stimulus, unless the intention is that people pay off their debt, but in that case i don't get why it's a stimulus package.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Stimulus package is not really much of a stimulus, unless the intention is that people pay off their debt, but in that case i don't get why it's a stimulus package.
    ^

My last stimulus when to cc bill, if I get another it'll still go to that.

Part of me really wanted to take and spend it and go to like vegas, cause seems we never go on vacations, but meh bills more important. :/

Demosthenes11

taxes because BHO is getting elected
    ge ge ge

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Sushi, maybe some parts for my bike, could use an exaust and some led's, maybe integrated blinkers. Could use a new riding jacket too... I bought a ps3 with the last one, so that's out of the question.

Atlantic City.

Problem solved.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Instead of short-term stimulus packages, they should instead position America to be more competitive in the global markets to bring wealth back in rather than allow it to flow out. We also need to start depending on ourselves for our own clean energy imo among many other things that we have problems with.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Ill be paying whatever amount of debt that people who got sub prime mortgages they couldnt afford have so generously given me as a taxpayer.

Seriously, the government just spent 850 billion...fuck another stimulus package and after this liquidity push for the market, let shit sort itself out first.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Because politicians didn't get the memo that no one uses Keynesian economics anymore, and they still think blind consumption and home ownership is a magical panacea.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I'm going to buy a house. I hear they are cheap these days.

A. Body
    BG Level

build a nuclear shelter in my backyard