+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Partitioning and viruses     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Partitioning and viruses

I'm using an Intel based Mac, and have a partition set up for using windows. I pretty much only log into the windows system for gaming, and for the most part don't even browse the web on it.

Recently I've come under virus/trojan/spyware/malware attack on the windows partition. I was wondering how at risk the Apple section of my computer is. The Apple side is far, far more important to me, as it has all my photography and website information, my email program, and scheduler.

I would have no problem up and deleting the windows partition, it holds nothing on it except for a few games. The only times I had to enter password or personal info while running windows, I made up new passwords and abrivated info (i.e I would use an english translation of any names and my according to my birthday I'm 50 years, 6 months older than i actually am). However I want to know how secure any passwords/info I enter on the Apple side are.

Regarding the partition, would it be easier to just delete/reinstall or should I go through the trouble of finding and fixing everything that is wrong with it. I don't really want to spend a bunch or money for anti virus programs for a platform I use almost only for gaming. I also want to make sure before I go and delete the section that, by deleting, I wouldn't be somehow spreading the infection to the apple side.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Unless the malware/virus actually had some way to attack the low level HDD stuff, and/or was specifically designed to attack Mac partitions from Boot Camp (highly, highly unlikely)...shouldn't be any reason to be concerned. I see a lot of laptops n' such with malware on them (student athlete machines)...haven't run across anything that would do that. I'm sure it's possible (they've had proof of concept for attacking out of a virtual machine even), but malware is typically written to hit as many people as possible, not for niche stuff like that.

So sure, nuke the partition if need be. Best way to make sure stuff is gone, and it's not going to affect your Apple side.
    However, in the future, there are plenty of free apps to put some virus and spyware protection on there (a number of which are listed in the free apps thread).

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Hey... a belated thanks for the advice.