• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

All internet works (including Firefox) except for IE

Here's my problem. I have 2 computers. Both running XP. On computer 1 (desktop) everything works. On computer 2 (laptop) the only thing that doesn't work is IE (firefox works, aim works, games work, etc).

WHY I CARE: Because (1) I'm trying to stream movies from Netflix on my laptop, and Netflix can only stream via IE, (2) because I'm trying to display the streamed movies onto my TV, and (3) only the laptop has the necessary video card outputs to connect to my TV. Therefore (assuming I do not buy new hardware) I must use IE on my laptop to stream the movies.

Computer details:
    1. Laptop (and desktop) are running XP
    2. Both computers go through linksys router to cable modem
    3. Desktop is wired connection, Laptop is primarily wireless, though when I connect via a wired connection I have the same problem
    4. (this one is interesting) I *can* browse from my laptop via the wireless & wired connection to the router admin (192.168.1.1). However I can't get past the router.
    5. Both computers are running Kaspersky Internet Security v7 (google showed there might be some conflict, but one works fine the other doesnt)

Things I've tried:
    1. Double-checked that options > connections > LAN Settings > Auto Detect is set
    2. Going through the Internet Connection setup tool for IE (tried just about every possible setup)
    3. Turning off windows firewall
    4. Turning off kaspersky
    5. Upgrading from IE7 to IE8
    6. Google mentioned there may be an issue with Windows Update K942615; checked add/remove programs, not there
    7. Made sure DNS Services were enabled (they are)
    8. Turning off Wireless, only using wired. Turning off Wired, only using wireless.

I'm about out of ideas aside from a fresh install (which it needs). I'm just kinda hoping I missed something that someone here has seen. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

File -> Uncheck Work offline?

Only thing I can think of lol

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ok dude some few solutions try them out in order first.

1) Are you sure you "did not see" Windows Update KB942615/K942615 on the add/remove programs list? That right there is the main problem. I looked up your case online and everyone was having the same problems as you stated above. If indeed you did not see it on the list is it b/c you don't have the box "show updates" checked? It's near the top, to the left of sort by: drag down menu

2) No.1 should fix your problem after restart, if not the other problem might be Kapersky Internet Security Suite. Uninstalling that fixes the problem as mentioned from my search.

3) If those two don't work read this: how to fix IE

Here's the thread where I gathered info from.

Goodluck~

File -> Uncheck Work offline?
    That made me lol ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    Ok dude some few solutions try them out in order first.

1) Are you sure you "did not see" Windows Update KB942615/K942615 on the add/remove programs list? That right there is the main problem. I looked up your case online and everyone was having the same problems as you stated above. If indeed you did not see it on the list is it b/c you don't have the box "show updates" checked? It's near the top, to the left of sort by: drag down menu

2) No.1 should fix your problem after restart, if not the other problem might be Kapersky Internet Security Suite. Uninstalling that fixes the problem as mentioned from my search.

3) If those two don't work read this: how to fix IE

Here's the thread where I gathered info from.

Goodluck~

That made me lol ^^
    So guess what, after fighting with it all night and giving up, all of a sudden it works. Maybe it rebooted an umpteenth time, I dunno. What Is wierd is that Kaspersky now complains that it's starting with command line parameters (which it shouldn't, I checked the shortcut); but IE works, so I'm not gonna complain. As for the other stuff, yes, work offline was not checked (I could get to the router), and yes, I triple checked, I don't have KB942615/K942615 in my add/remove program list, even with "show updates" checked. I figured that was it, but no such luck. If it goes back to being broke I'll check out your fix IE link. Thanks though!

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I had the same issue happen when I used to use Kaspersky. Just toggle your firewall IN KASPERSKY, and everything should work afterwards. I don't know why it did that or why it would work after, but it was reason enough for me to switch to NOD32.