+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

new to 75's and want to test out my character

hi guys/gals,

I am a drg who has recently become a level 75!! yay, and i was wondering if there were any NM's that i could try to solo or any mob that I would be able to test out my new stregnth (that of a level 75) against. I am a little bit of a newb, lol im still working of getting many pieces to deck out my drg. Atm im still sporting the SH and using a psilos mantle, dual acc rings, newly aquired O-hat, thalassocrat main, smart grenade ammo, umm LL boots, sometimes wear tabin boots +1, thinkin about selling those, umm, a war wolf belt, chilverous chain, tarasque mitts +1 and barone legs. so as you can see my gear is severly lacking, on top of this im not really into any endgame ls's yet, but i do have sky access, and i am currently on the oryu fight for cop, i have started to merit a little bit and got a few polearm merits, almost capped, and 1 in agnon. so basically is there a fight that i could solo that will give me a challenge, but that i will have a change to win? i have one mage sub, Blu its level 71, stuck there due to no sea access, and i also have samurai fully subbed. also if there are any gear suggestions i am willing to take advice, thanks for all the info in advance.
    your friendly new 75 player,
    Crimson

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

If you looking for a nm to solo that help you gear better your DRG, i dont think soo...

Maybe you can solo the peacock charm nm, for acc, but again DRG have a lot of acc...

All the top gear you can get for drg is in Sky, Sea, Salvage, limbus

if you want to focus on Limbus and Salvage will be easier since you dont need a hnmls, just look for a good limbus group and a salvage group and you will get nice gear,

another cool gear is in nyzule isle... Asakar gear...

If you ask me, i prefer Ares

Weapon mmm Odin lance =D but is kinda hard ot obtain without a good team...

Not a whole lot of gear that comes from NMs you can solo. But if you want to test your capabilities, a good place to start would be Mamool Ja Staging Point. Drg can solo those, and it's always fun to get those looks from merit parties.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Assault Jerkin?

i think he's more looking to test himself out than specifically target an NM that drops gear that he wants/needs
    however, yeah, find some friends and go kill Ose and get an AJ.
    blu sub is pretty awesome for drg, actually. you can cast low-mp-cost spells and get a full healing breath off. and the buffs, debuffs, and headbutt are kinda nice.
    if you intend to join an endgame shell, get your nin sub to 37 though.
    you might be able to solo the Hurricane Wyverns at the top of ifrit's cauldron. they will rate EM-T. just don't pull Vouivre by accident (he doesn't agro but the Hurricane's do)

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Easy
    Sea Horror

Medium
    Phantom Worm
    Saghin NMs in SSG

Advanced
    Amemit
    RDM AF3's Ghost

Super Advanced (Don't attempt without /BLU, Ethereal Earring,1500+ HP and Wyrm Armet)

Lindwurm

Just off the top of my head, can't think of any more atm.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

wow thanks for the posts, unfortunately i do not have an assaults jerkin. Ose hates me, i have killed him a couple of times with help and all i keep getting are skins and his 100% drop whisker. but i do plan on getting the jerkin.

I am sorry i didn't list what subs i have earlier. currently the only sub that i have that is a mage job is blu. I am working on getting my whm and rdm leveled up, but i am having a few problems doing that due to the fact that I have no desire to level whm, or rdm really... I do have whm at 17 though and rdm is at level 1.5. blm is level 19 though, and ninja is fully subbed to 37. war is level 34. I have solo'd before as /blu a friend and I have duo'd a few levels on our way to 75, i had to stop to level up sam.

thanks for the nm suggestions. I will be looking into getting some new experiences in soon, as far as end game linkshells go, i will have to wait on that until i am out of school either on break or during the summer. cause during school i can't really devote that much time to the game, school being college. thanks for the info and if you have any more advice please offer it, weather it be answering something i asked or just some good tips, I'm all ears. and i am workin on getting drakesbane atm, but i don't have a static nyzule isle yet. workin on getting that from within the social ls i am in.

Hydra
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Wildhammer

BLU is actually an excellent sub for drg, with fast cast times with low mp costs, and some great spells like cocoon. Coupled with higher melee stats and hp, I don't think theres much that a /rdm can solo that /blu can not.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by shinoniken View Post
    BLU is actually an excellent sub for drg, with fast cast times with low mp costs, and some great spells like cocoon. Coupled with higher melee stats and hp, I don't think theres much that a /rdm can solo that /blu can not.
    How much def cocoon give as a sub? versus protect 2?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    How much def cocoon give as a sub? versus protect 2?
    Cocoon gives DEF+50%.

You're looking at a +200~300DEF spell for 8MP depending on your choice of food.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ose's drop rates can indeed suck, I went 1/16 back in the days when I was leveling DRG so don't give up. Even if you're starting up a Nyzul static Assault Jerkin is a really good body piece to have until Askar drops.

I would also recommend getting your /WHM leveled, if your LS is ever short on healers for events like Dynamis and Einherjar, DRG/WHM is a great option to have because you can keep a melee party alive or complement a RDM/DRK or /BLM healer perfectly. As /WHM you can use Erase and help -na more peeps than you would with just the Wyvern's remove ailment ability when WSing. And in a very sticky situation Divine Seal + Curaga II followed by a Super Jump is a nice bonus. Since you have /BLU, /RDM isn't really necessary anymore imo unless you really want to go solo Shadow Lord with en-spell damage.

Lampoon

My advise to you,s ince you just hit 75, merit and merit some more. And while you're at it, use meripos as practice for tanking. Be it with /SAM or /WAR or whatever you choose to use.

As for NMs, Ophanus stated pretty good targets to practice on. Oh and don't forget to level /DNC. May come in handy.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
    Oh and don't forget to level /DNC. May come in handy.
    Out of curiosity, when would you ever go DRG/DNC?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilia View Post
    Out of curiosity, when would you ever go DRG/DNC?

Campaign.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Friend of mine was very happy when he finally soloed a Skoffin at MJSP. I think he was DRG/WHM at the time, not sure if he has tried now that he has BLU as a sub option.

He likes trying to solo silly things just for the challenge of it.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    Campaign.
    Why would you go /DNC over /mage to campaign? Surely 500+HP Healing breaths outperform using 35TP on Waltz II that heals less than a Cure III? Not to mention that as /WHM you get reraise.

I personally love /DNC in campaign for PLD and when I'm playing my husband's MNK or NIN but on DRG? What's your reasoning?

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Depends on the mob you're fighting. If there are too many AOEs going on to keep your wyvern up, there's no point in relying on HB.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

hmm so since i have blu, i can basically skip rdm? alright, well that takes one sub down and just means i have to get whm up and finish off war. as far as avatars go, won't the magical damage be alot to deal with? or would i need to get a better build before i tried some of those fights? i have a feeling that for the avatars I would need to go as /whm right? and as far as the /dnc comment' a friend of mine tried to persuade me to level up dnc as a sub but i just didn't see the need. due to my pet i can get healed perfectly fine, well unless silenced but that never posed a problem, i could see /dnc being useful for maybe farming purposes... maybe. but if you have some info on that as a sub i'm still open to listening.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Depends on the mob you're fighting. If there are too many AOEs going on to keep your wyvern up, there's no point in relying on HB.
    The AoEs campaign mobs do that kill your wyvern kinda tend to kill any melee who's not /NIN, including yourself. If you're just talking of normal Yagudos doing sweeps or Orcs doing their wooshy wooshy dance I've never had issues keeping Wyvern HP up. Also, you can't predict what you're going to get in a campaign when you leave town so I'm just going to stick to taking my chances with /WHM.

Crimsonstalker, if you're planning to farm for gil on DRG the only sub you need is /THF. You make better gil per hour ripping through middle level too weak mobs as DRG/THF than targetting tougher enemies as DRG/mage or /DNC. I used to make my money in Sea Serpent Grotto and Castle Oztroja just ripping through the middle level fishies and birdies. Steal every time it's up for some silver/mythril coins, get chest keys, pop treasure chests, kill some lower level NMs etc. And don't forget to use Mug on NMs. Gilfinder means you get 100+gil per kill as well and since you're killing really really fast it's worth it. Most beastmen mage types drop particular spell scrolls, in the days the ninjutsu scrolls were pricey I broke 300k/hr easy, later on profits fell a bit but it was still a nice and easy constant income. DRG/THF makes short work of Zi'Tah Goobbues as well and many other weaker targets where kill speed means bigger profits. Back in 2004 I made my first 500k by spending a week straight killing Batallia tigers for fangs, it was boring as farck but it got me the gear I needed back then. If you have a Barone Corazza that'll make it extra easy because the 2HP/tick regen pretty much negates any need to rest. Having an NPC and grabbing a tactics pearl before going out speeds the process up significantly also.