+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Choices     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Credit Card Choices

I'm looking to get a second credit card to use as my main because my first card sucks with any bonuses/cashback/etc. I was wondering if anybody had any tips or directions they could point me in. I was looking at the American Express Blue one but didn't know much about any alternatives. I have a Visa already so am looking to get a non-Visa one but any tips are good in case other people can learn. Thanks.

don't get a credit card

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zhais View Post
    don't get a credit card
    For what reason? I'm fiscally responsible and have the capabilities to pay it off every month and will always do so. What reason is there not to have one? I can make more money by delaying payment a month and earn points redeemable for items by spending with a different card.

yea that's what I said, then I had a couple bad times and my one credit card has been maxed out for 2~3 months and I haven't been able to pay it off -.- fuck you 17% interest rate

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I have a GM Mastercard with like $4k in GM cash towards the purchase of a car, but it's bullshit now because of two things:

Who wants a GM car?

And they have a GM earnings cap on each vehicle, so most are like $1k-2k cap. When they first started with the program though there was no cap, so my dad got $7k off a Pontiac. (ugh Pontiac)

I should get a new card with good rewards, but I'm lazy...

if you are a student check out 1fbusa.com. I have one 0% interest on purchases up to $250 for the life of the card. It's great if you want to build credit by buying a little bit then paying it off without interest.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

yea that's what I said, then I had a couple bad times and my one credit card has been maxed out for 2~3 months and I haven't been able to pay it off -.- fuck you 17% interest rate
    I know the feeling. I had been on top of my credit for 4 years and I got blind sided by a $4000 car repair bill and it threw me way out of whack on paying off my credit cards. >_<

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Personally I couldn't care less about bonuses and all that other crap. I went for the lowest interest rate I could get.

And to Zhais, it's way smarter to use a credit card to buy stuff, because you have more protection that way. Buying things with a debit card leaves your ass hanging out. The money is gone from your account instantly, whereas a credit card gives you cushion to dispute charges, etc., without having your money out of pocket.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

You don't need one if you're in college. If you really really want one, then you should shop around for the lowest rate and get only one. Pray to god you won't be late on payments, cause even 1-day-late payment is sufficient ground for doubling your interest rates.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

American Express has the absolute best rewards / returns packages. Since I use mine for work / personal stuff, and since I have to pay it off by end of month, I love it.

Since I travel a ton for work and we use Delta, I love getting triple miles and getting free upgrades on flights. It's nice being that guy sitting in a t-shirt and jeans and flip flops in first class and getting looks like this schumuck sitting here.

As far as getting one, I'd look for one that has a low interest rate and maybe even a balance transfer. I don't see any reason to have more than one CC though. I mean I have a job that gave me a corporate card that I can use for personal expenses and I did a balance transfer to it from my other cards. It's nice only having one bill.

The Righteous One
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I'm a fan of my Discover card. No yearly fee, no clue about interest rate (I pay off every month).

Basically if you buy everything you'd normally buy on your discover card and pay it off every month you're getting free money in the cash back bonus.

Only downside of Discover is that there are still some places that don't take Discover (rarely but I do come across it now and then).

I will say my backup credit card is a Bankofamerica Mastercard. What I like about this one is that there is an online option called ShopSafe that lets you generate a new temporary credit card number with a set limit for online purchases. So if you want to purchase something online but worry about using your credit card over the internet, you can create a new card number with like a $50 limit for a specific online purchase.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by deshende View Post
    Only downside of Discover is that there are still some places that don't take Discover (rarely but I do come across it now and then).
    No one takes discover. Finding a place that doesn't take it isn't rare at all.

The Righteous One
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    No one takes discover. Finding a place that doesn't take it isn't rare at all.
    I only have issues at smaller businesses (family run eateries, etc). I've never had an issue at a major chain store.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphirea View Post
    American Express has the absolute best rewards / returns packages. Since I use mine for work / personal stuff, and since I have to pay it off by end of month, I love it.

Since I travel a ton for work and we use Delta, I love getting triple miles and getting free upgrades on flights. It's nice being that guy sitting in a t-shirt and jeans and flip flops in first class and getting looks like this schumuck sitting here.

As far as getting one, I'd look for one that has a low interest rate and maybe even a balance transfer. I don't see any reason to have more than one CC though. I mean I have a job that gave me a corporate card that I can use for personal expenses and I did a balance transfer to it from my other cards. It's nice only having one bill.
    Have to agree with AMEX. Out of my 2 cards I always use AMEX in preference.

Best rewards system by far.

I have no idea tbh
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Amex Blue for pure cash back is good - particularly for usage on gas/groceries etc where the caps are higher. You get an annual credit directly on your account for the total rebate - pure money very simple. No annual fee of course. I used to use their other program with retail/air awards, etc., but cash back is simple and always needed.

Also, yes, Credit Card usage is the best thing if you think you might need any support at all - automatically extended warranties on most things, ability to dispute, etc.

Just of course don't do any of the above if you don't have a steady safe income and know your limits!

Forum Donator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I've been using my Amex Blue for over 8 years. Loved it. No problems except for the places that don't take Amex. For those situations, I use my bank card. (Its rarely used but thats also my backup)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

The trick is to buy a CC but only use what you can pay off each month. Will make your credit look very good and then you can get a MUCH lower interest rated card a few months/year down the road. Interest rate doesn't matter if you pay it off every month if you use the card as a CC, but cash advances are influenced by interest immediately

I did for a while, then my financial aid came in late a few times and I had to pay off school debt to avoid late payments :D

then other crap happened

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Discover cash back for me. Places that don't take Discover (SubWay and small places)? Use my Credit Union Debit Card.

For everything else, I have a Capital One card from when only CO would even give me a card.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Whats the best VISA card for no annual fee/rewards?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast