+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just got a PSP for first time, recommendations?

Soo I finally got a PSP today after long delay and was wondering what some good games for it are? I got it so my friend could put some ps1 games on it for me to play on my frequent trips to nyc and am not familiar with any other games for it besides crisis core and star ocean, which will be put on first. Is that FF fighting game, Dissidia is it called?, any good?

Thanks.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Take it back, get your money back, and go spend the money on something worthwhile.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Take it back, get your money back, and go spend the money on something worthwhile.
    ^

damn, really? I assume a DS doesnt play any playstation games. Its not even the money as much as it is I take a 6-7hr commute to NYC and back every two weeks and am lookin for somethin to fill the time.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I like my PSP a lot.
    I'd definitely get Jeanne D'Arc and Loco Roco to get yourself started.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

LOL GDI BG. I was going to suggest trading it in, but was beaten. =[

On a serious note, there's some good stuff coming out for the PSP soon. Final Fantasy Dissidia(sp), and all that too. That is if you are into that sort of stuff.

As I beavered away...
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Andarvi View Post
    damn, really? I assume a DS doesnt play any playstation games. Its not even the money as much as it is I take a 6-7hr commute to NYC and back every two weeks and am lookin for somethin to fill the time.
    Eh, if you enjoy it then don't worry about what other people say. Personally I want a psp as well, so this isn't a "I think you should return it as well but it's your choice" type of post.

My sole exposure to PSP was when my buddy handed me his with FFVII on it looking and playing damn good. Then he told me that all ps1 games for the most part can be put on it. Then I wanted one. I am keeping it even if compared to other stuff it sucks just for the fact that I wont have to buy most games for it and can play some old classics to kill the time. I just dont know anything about PSP games as I bought it strictly because I could play old RPGs on it.

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Andarvi View Post
    My sole exposure to PSP was when my buddy handed me his with FFVII on it looking and playing damn good. Then he told me that all ps1 games for the most part can be put on it. Then I wanted one. I am keeping it even if compared to other stuff it sucks just for the fact that I wont have to buy most games for it and can play some old classics to kill the time. I just dont know anything about PSP games as I bought it strictly because I could play old RPGs on it.
    This, pretty much. I had a bunch of games (Tactics, FFVII, etc) running on my PSP and thought it was awesome. I would have abused the fucking thing except I am not a portable gamer. Isn't the PSP's fault, but my own.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Feathermoon

Popolocrois is a really fun turn-based RPG.
    Metal Gear: Portable Ops is really fun if you're into that sort of thing..
    Star Wars: Battlefront II is also pretty badass.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

First step: learn how to download/upload all games for free on it. You shouldn't have to spend a penny on a game once you have bought a PSP.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

• Monster Hunter 2nd G
    • Echochrome
    • Tekken: DR
    • Petapon
    • Loco Roco
    • FF:CC

There are ton of games + bunch of apps + PS1, etc. etc. Never leave home w/o, it became my TI calc, mp3 player, google maps, youtube viewer, alarm clock, and shit. Dumped some 90x exercising videos in there too. <3 the psp.

PS:5 bucks the thread gets moved to the brand new ___________.

As I beavered away...
    BG Level

Out of curiosity, is there an n64 emulator for psp? Was trying to think how buttons would work if there was one. Mostly just where Z and such would go.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    QFT. Bought a PSP-3000 on release day and suffered the biggest case of buyer's remorse I've had in quite awhile. Sold it on eBay for $150 (w/o the game and movie since I traded those in the same day I bought it), so it wasn't a huge loss for me. Thank god for Gamestop's 7-day return policy on pre-owned games.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

^I'd assume you never took the time to take advantage of its capabilities. It's well worth it for what it does, and it sure packs a punch.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    ^I'd assume you never took the time to take advantage of its capabilities. For what it does, it sure packs a punch tho.
    I honestly have no interest at all in custom firmware, ROM's, etc. Was dying to finally get to play MHF2, but I just couldn't get into it. Also, all the games I was looking forward to (Dissidia, Kingdom Hearts, etc.) probably won't be getting a US release until the end of next year, so I see no reason to have it collect dust in a drawer when I can just sell it on eBay and get most of my money back.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Mine is pretty much used as a portable emulator, haven't got around to just downloading PSP games yet though (mostly since I have no interest in 90% of them).

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hack it like lizzy borden so you can play emulators / downloaded games on it. 95% of PSP games are shit, so sometimes 'oh, Xgame is good' isn't really enough to justify spending money on said game.

Crisis core is fun tho. You dont even have to have played 7 to enjoy it (though of course it helps)

Patapon -requires- headphones if your playing around other people.

And uh...thats all I can think of. I'm using mine to play Mother 3 right now.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Waef View Post
    Out of curiosity, is there an n64 emulator for psp? Was trying to think how buttons would work if there was one. Mostly just where Z and such would go.
    Yes there is, Retro Console Dev is the guy's blog which hasn't been updated in a while. He was supposed to release a new version soon that would be able to play a bit more than just mario64 perfectly.

Also, itt: idiots.

Use your friend's pandora battery (I assume he should have one since he had a custom firmware, if not, buy yourself one of those better batteries from target or something and have him turn your original into a pandora's. I LOVE the 2200mAh battery, I'll go on a trip and play my psp for like 4-5 hours, and the battery hasn't even reached 50% life by then. <3 it)

Once it's downgraded, go crazy, there are a few sega emulators that work pretty damn well, the GBA emulator is great, the SNES one is nearly flawless (except for games that require special chips to play, those will lag kind of badly,) and of course, the PSX emulator. Make sure you grab the latest popsloader, and you'll pretty much be able to play any playstation game you ever want to.

PSP is a portable RPG machine, make sure you abuse everything it has to offer, and you'll never regret your choice.

As I beavered away...
    BG Level

Is the pandora battery required for every firmware number, or only for the newer models? Or can you only have custom firmware on older models? I remember reading a thing that said you couldn't have custom firmware on 2.60 or higher, but I'm not sure how old that was.