+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good blogging site?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Good blogging site?

Gonna start a videogame blog and I'm not sure where to start it, anyone have some suggestions? I've tried a couple sites in the past and have had mixed experiences with all of them. What I'm looking for is:

- A site that allows you to customize your blog to a fair degree, without requiring extensive knowledge of html (I do have a little and could learn more). Xanga was good at this, but it didn't have the next thing I wanted...
    - A good community, with multiple avenues of interaction between bloggers. If I wanted to just write for myself, I'd write in a paper journal. I like livejournal for this aspect, it has a ton of communities, some of which cater to some very narrow interests, and your posts can automatically be posted to both your own blog and the community if you want. Awesome. However, last time I checked you had a set number of layouts to choose from, and had to pay more if you wanted to really make it look good.
    - Which brings me to my last requirement: It has to be free. I ain't paying for this shit.

Anyone have suggestions on what would be best? Sorry for such a lame thread, but if anyone knows the internet well it's BG.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Something wrong with Blogger?

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I have no idea what's even out there, which is why I'm asking. Also hoping people who have a blog can give their opinions on what they use or have used in the past, why it's good/bad, etc. I don't want to start a blog and decide two months into it that I want to port it all over to a different site, you know?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sirenia Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Velen

I would recommend Vox or Livejournal.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Buy a site and I'll make you a blog exactly like any worldpress blog or blogster or anything for $100 DO IT

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by senoska View Post
    Buy a site and I'll make you a blog exactly like any worldpress blog or blogster or anything for $100 DO IT
    I'll do it for Senoska's price -$1

Anyway for free sites, blogspot or livejournal or wordpress.com have big free communities. Livejournal is the most condensed and interactive community though, but not seen as a "professional" site. It's more aimed at being a personal thing, one of the reasons I moved to my own one as you can see in my sig.

Yeah, if you aren't going to pay, you're pretty much stuck with LJ/vox/blogger/etc...

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I recommend Blogger personally. As Wafik mentioned, you really don't do "serious" stuff on LiveJournal. Some people try to, but the stigma associated with the site is strong. It's akin to the GameFAQs forums of the blogging world.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik View Post
    I'll do it for Senoska's price -$1

Anyway for free sites, blogspot or livejournal or wordpress.com have big free communities. Livejournal is the most condensed and interactive community though, but not seen as a "professional" site. It's more aimed at being a personal thing, one of the reasons I moved to my own one as you can see in my sig.
    You're not an Indian! God damnit!

Seriously, they do this to 99.9999999999% of my bids. God damnit.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Live Journal imo.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Hmm, thanks for the tips everyone. I'll probably set up my gaming blog on livejournal because I'm more interested in the community aspect and I'm not trying to make any serious posts, more just my own observations and experiences playing games (kind of a social journal as opposed to a blog). It's good to know which sites work for which needs though, I appreciate the insight. Sounds like if I ever want to take my writing seriously and make a real blog, blogger's the way to go.

Hell, maybe I'll just make on each site and post the serious entries on blogger and the random ones on livejournal. I dunno, I'll figure it out. At least I have an idea of where I'm going with this now.

And if I ever decide to go with my own site I'll totally hire Wafik to make a blog for me (for the one dollar savings).

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Wafik will plaster your blog with pictures of kangaroos and koalas, don't do it.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Blogger is pretty nice. Easy interface and what not.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sirenia Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Velen

Yah because if you have around 100$ to spend you can have a domain and hosting for a year. I personally do that....well don't pay for hosting because we have a web server at home....and use Wordpress for my blogging site.