+ Reply to Thread

Speakers squeling when 2nd monitor on

So my speakers give off this squealing noise when i turn them up. Turns out that when I turn off my 2nd monitor (older, LCD Samsung monitor), the squealing stop.

There are no issues when I turn on my first monitor (Dell, newer).

The sound cable is going from my computer directly to my subwoofer.

Any comments to remove this squealing? I can't seem to solve it.
    Maybe get better speakers?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Most devices shield against interference, so obviously something is failing to shield itself properly here. I would assume that it's the speakers, given your saying it might be time to get better ones. Are they some sub-$10 basic deal?

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Dirty power can cause this, as well. Try plugging the 2nd monitor into a different outlet (note: the other plug on the same wallplate doesn't count; that's the same circuit).

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    Most devices shield against interference, so obviously something is failing to shield itself properly here. I would assume that it's the speakers, given your saying it might be time to get better ones. Are they some sub-$10 basic deal?
    Not too cheap, if you ask me. I think I paid $50 for them, but they normally cost $100. Altec Lansing XA3021

http://www.najevtino.com/nevadaimage...xa3021_520.jpg

I only recommended getting new speakers, cause that's usually a cheaper option than getting a new 2nd monitor.

Also, I'll try the different outlets later in the day. Right now, I'm using a USP for all my stuff, so I'm assuming that is not the issue.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

After looking up your speakers by their model number, I found this recommendation within an official manual:

"Move your speakers to see if the interference goes away. If not, you may be able
    to purchase a shielded stereo cable from your local electronics shop."

That tells us that the cabling isn't shielded at all, so there's another option for you.

Well, I guess things happen for a reason.
    My 360 had RROD. So I packed it up, and unplugged all the cables.
    The 2 audio cables plugged into my sub woofer was the reason for the squealing noise. Go figure.

Kohan and Norellicus, thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate the advice you gave me.