Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Alright I need help choosing my path..

I recently got Blue Mage to 75 finally. This is my first 75. I have been doing a lot of reading and talking to people in game and I've come to the conclusion that, from what I can tell, BLU is only really useful in HNM and other NM fights. Making BLU as a main for merits, limbus, Salvage, etc. sort of moot. So I'm wondering..how right am I about this? Is the role of an HNM killer (only) worth keeping BLU as a main and gearing it out or are there other jobs that'd be better to level up to 75 for a main?

Currently I'm looking at these jobs as possible alternatives:

SAM66 - Closest to 75 great DD and semi-tank..possibly my first choice
    SMN46 - Fun job..but glorified healer, and not enough DD..endgame viable?
    RDM14 - Everyone loves a RDM..but is the RDM whoring worth it at 75?

Thank you all for any help you can give me. I am serious about finally getting involved with endgame now that I have hit 75 on a job, and I just want to make sure I can get the best out of it all.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The people I know with BLU capped seem to have a lot of fun with it in solo / small man situations. I don't think it's all that outlandish to make BLU a job for Limbus or even Salvage (though they do take more cells to be worthwhile. . .).

Out of the jobs listed there, if you're looking for a merit whore (and maybe Salvage/Limbus) you can't really go wrong with SAM, if you're willing to gear it.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Since your SAM is so close, and it has many uses, I would suggest that. Really, you'd be able to do all of the necessary endgame events for gearing up that and your BLU if you had it.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Tbh I don't see it as being that useful in HNM, we don't use BLU on any ground kings accept maybe KB. Sure it might be useful but I don't see it being used that much HNM wise. The only thing we really is it for a lot would be Dark Ixion.

Other events tho I find it to be useful. Dynamis I like having a Blu or 2 there, headbutt is a spell of wonders, does well in Limbus too. Also a great job for Mission Fights like Diablos and Alexander and so on.

Out of the jobs you have listed choose the one you think you'd enjoy the most. Sam's already close to 75 so I'm sure you could burn it there within 2 weeks easily. We use Sam's for a lot of stuff in our LS, great for making SC's and DDing in general.

SMN we don't use too much except on things like Tia/Cerb/Khim.

RDM prolly the most useful job you have listed but also probably takes the most time to gear towards being a great job. I find it to be a great job but it took me along time to get some of the better pieces for it.

You've played SMN and SAM a fair bit so you know kinda what their role is going to be and you have an idea of wether you'll like it or not. I'd say level RDM to 42 then make your chioce, by then you'll have a general idea of all 3 jobs and should make it easier for you to pick one you'll enjoy.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I would use this order:

SAM > RDM > SMN

SAM is already 9 levels to cap, and is a very useful job for merit parties as well as events like Dynamis/Limbus/Sky.

SMN has very situational uses, but offers a decent array of solo capabilities. Being a 75 SMN myself, I can tell you that my SMN doesnt come out to play very much in Sky/Dynamis/Limbus etc etc. It will have some HNM uses, but they are minimal. Still, since your job is in the 40's, you've obviously expressed some interest in it, so if you like the job, I encourage you to level it up. It is a very fun job, but isnt strong enough to be a good DD, and can only do so much healing with Cure 3/Curaga II.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Sam for your merit job, skill up your polearm if you haven't

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sirenia Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Velen

I would vote SAM too.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Nishida View Post
    SAM66 - Closest to 75 great DD and semi-tank..possibly my first choice
    LV SAM for merits and HNMs (Top choice for you imo)

SMN46 - Fun job..but glorified healer, and not enough DD..endgame viable?
    SMN isn't as prominent as it used to be for HNMs (At least not compared to SAM). Its ability to XP is somewhat increased due to the addition of LV Sync (Astral Flow Burn); however, I think you'll find SAM more worthwhile.

RDM14 - Everyone loves a RDM..but is the RDM whoring worth it at 75?
    For the purpose of merits and HNMs, I would LV BLU and RDM instead of SAM and BLU since it allows you access to other slots in the alliance (aka healer or support). You're also more likely to get a PT on RDM than SAM since there are usually more DDs seeking than healers.

XP PTs:

BLU: Terrible

SAM: Great

RDM: Great (Even better than SAM imo)

HNMs:

BLU: DD, Magic DD, Low man groups, and Tanking (Einherjar)

RDM: Healing, Assisting, CS Stunning, and solo

SAM: DD, Tanking (Minimal tanking in Nyzul Isle)

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I am a SMN, so I am biased. There's nothing wrong with SAM and everything, but SMN changes almost completely at 70. It is the only job that can consistently pop out 1700+ damage at once on a really tough mob without either very pimp gear, a bard, or a relic weapon (possibly excluding BLU, cause BLUs are madness). Hateless damage is a super plus, and at the very end, a good SMN can fill all kinds of roles - healer, pure support, support/DD, damage only (as on Kirin with Nether Blast or HNM with Leviathan), kiter, even a type of tank.

The downsides to SMN are that it's basically useless in dynamis (hard to tell if you have main hate on anything and risk screwing sleeps), and it leaves little room for improvement past the basic gear and merits. I can assure you that SMN doesn't stay a second-rate healer endgame, though it might be painful to bring it up to 75 because of its role in parties. There is no point taking SMN to either merit parties or dynamis, but you have BLU for that already.

Being, as GM Dave put it, a swiss army knife capable of calling forth beasts composed of magic is my greatest joy in FFXI. It may not be yours, but I'm just making an argument for why I think SMN is the most fun of the 3.

Sephiroth_Owa 13

Sam is nice for end game, dyna, sky (don't have sea yet so can't say on that part...) but it does well in merits and is big dmg. Also if you're willing to gear it right and play it right (IE no stuipd Drk moves like SE+WS=Wtf dumb dead Drk) it's a fun job.
    When I get back to melee jobs it's gonna my 2nd to lvl after Mnk.
    Plus who wouldn't love to self sc? (outside of Blu of course lol)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Finish meriting Blu and then do Sam imo. Regularly I'd say level Rdm because basically Blu and Sam are both DDs for the most part but Sam is so close to being done it'll give you a great job for merits and straight offensive power.