+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Ballista Matchup SAM vs. DRG

I'm going to start doing ballista soon with a friend,
    Just wondering how the two match-up against one another, also which subjobs would yield the best to use against the job and subjob of the other, for example:
    The DRG is DRG/WHM, what would be best for SAM to sub? And vice versa given common subjobs used by these two subjobs in ballista?

"I realize I might have repeated myself when writing the above paragraph lol. Bare with me Math was my strong subject, haha."

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

No point in drg/whm in ballista. Wyvern doesn't live more than 10 seconds anyways. I'd say /sam for the drg. I haven't played sam much myself since I do mnk in ballista, but the majority if them sub war from what I see.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Really? I would think /NIN would be great for SAM in ballista but /WAR is the most common? Seems strange that /WAR is the most common for a SAM given the opportunity for Ichi, Ni, and Seigan + Third Eye. I'd think that /NIN would be great against DRG if anything, given the fact that your going to need to suck up double the amount of hits because of the wyvern nevermind the DRG and his Jumps alone...Then again I've never done ballista. I just want to know what I need to prepare for, heh.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Considered a sam going /drg and ws-->med--> ws--> jump jump-->ws?
    /nin in ballista was common the last time i saw it but gets beat down the instant any kind of mage shows up thanks to diaga, horde lullaby and so on
    Are you sure the drg doesnt have /blu? Cocoon is going to give him some extra longevity.
    Another common SJ used to be /rng on sam.
    barrage and sidewinder make it easier to catch anyone attempting to run from you and give you the benefit of ambushing a person if you're lucky with med-->barrage-->sidewinder
    Also keep in mind the added effects of ygk.

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

/rng is pretty common in 60 caps for sam, but rarely seen in uncapped. As for /blu on drg, i think its a great sub for pretty much any job, but I'm the only one who ever subs the thing. As for /nin, yea its lol, hi to diaga spam

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

True on the mage deal, but this is one-on-one I'm talking about haha.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Even if it is 1 on 1 you said the DRG is most likely going to be subbing WHM, so they would still have access to Diaga.
    Even if they somehow didn't figure out they could Diaga you, you'd have to chose between double recast times from Seigan or a TE that lasts until your next recast is up once a minute.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

/WHM on the drg was just for example, I don't know what the sub would be but what are the common DRG subs for ballista and what would SAM sub to retaliation to each of those subs...and vice versa..

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by blackvivi View Post
    Even if it is 1 on 1 you said the DRG is most likely going to be subbing WHM, so they would still have access to Diaga.
    Even if they somehow didn't figure out they could Diaga you, you'd have to chose between double recast times from Seigan or a TE that lasts until your next recast is up once a minute.
    Remember to gekko the drg so he can't cast (and hope he doesn't have echos).

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Alathar View Post
    This is exactly what i was about to say.

Open with a Gekko and try to lock them out of using spells on a /whm or /blu sub. The counter would be them using an echo drop but in that case you may want to choose option 2.

Option 2: Open with Kasha and go for the paralyze which followed by a Gekko leaves for the possibility of a para'd echo drops and/or missed attack rounds / JAs and silence.

The best thing SAM has at its disposal are potent added effects on their best weaponskills which could easily change the tide of battle.

Nothing sucks more than being para'd out of your items or losing JAs to it :D

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alathar View Post
    Theres no items in 1 on 1 lol. Otherwise it just becomes who has the most potions, biggest wallet, ect.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Why don't you actually be a SAM and fight him with honor instead of coming here for advice!

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands

sam/rng with soboro.. sekku, ws > ws > barrage > ws > med > few hits > ws > few hits > ws.

and that drg should be long dead after barrage

another option, sam/nin with soboro, sekk > gekku > kasha then keep him silenced, paralazed and blinded if u can then the drg is tosted :D

lil note, dont try /rng or high eva job...

All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Sek on a sidewinder is prety much a guaranteed miss. Sek is gimped in ballista ballista

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I goto Ballista uncapped as DRG/WAR with love halberd,platinum grip,brutal earring,askar korazin with meat and the rest haste.
    Nothing beats hitting people for 180x2-3 every few seconds with that high chance of stun. It eats through seigan quite quickly with the wyvern adding hits too.

Run in and provoke him and hope it lands, if it does, he can't meditate or use third eye so throw up berserk, angon him and use Deep Breathing. Hit 2-3x with love halberd then jump/hjump him hope for stun to proc even if it doesnt, your penta should do like 450-500(lollovehalberddmg) but your wyvern breath should add 360ish.

Make sure the SAM doesn't meditate before the fight begins because prebuffing is unfair >_>

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

The SAM is the one asking for advice, not the DRG

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

It all helps~ thanks.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

you wouldnt /whm for either jobs EVER. if its 1v1, you your just gonna have to decided on DD or a survive setup long enough for you to kill his wyvern before he(and wyvern) can take out your third eye n unload on you. if the drg is /sam all he has to do is just get 1 angonWS off and 1 Deep breathing breath and your done(add a few jumps if you got high HP), match over. if sam subs nin, ill sub rdm phalanx diaga, barspells (ss/blink if you actually allow prep time) diaga shadows, wyvern eats third eye n both unload. grav/bind can be just as annoying for either.

if you can bypass the wyvern.. its pretty much who can get TP quicker imo(if skill is on par with each other). if i have my wyvern(with hp, not slept, not bound) with me, vers alot of jobs, im pretty confident. even vs galkafisher n his blu lol(unless they have incenses/giants drink QQ). im not the greatest, but 2v1 is hard to deal with even if its just a "pet"

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Sub BLU would be better for the DRG since Queasyshroom removes shadows (If I remember correctly) and Battle Dance removes Third Eye.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Seems like DRG is 1up to a SAM in most cases...